The Bad Crimes Inn - General gossip thread (2)

Comments

• phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do the rooms have private bathrooms? That's kind of a dealer breaker for me when I'm viewing potensh rooms.

Yeah with the most amazing heated floor
  • NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still reeling from the events in Orlando. The worse mass shooting in US history, the worst terrorist incident in the US since 9/11 and the worst mass atrocity against LGBT people since the Holocaust. :(

Whilst I don't tend to identify myself as LGBT these days I can't help but feel dread and disgust at the thought of an appalling attack on a minority that is already vulnerable in society.
  • nick1990nick1990 Posts: 4,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still reeling from the events in Orlando. The worse mass shooting in US history, the worst terrorist incident in the US since 9/11 and the worst mass atrocity against LGBT people since the Holocaust. :(

Whilst I don't tend to identify myself as LGBT these days I can't help but feel dread and disgust at the thought of an appalling attack on a minority that is already vulnerable in society.

The events over in Orlando truly just shook me to the core, I was away with school friends at a lodge in the middle of no where, but as the news trickled through on Sunday morning, this sadness just filled the rest of the weekend. It just so so sad.
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    Did anyone see the bizarre set to that happened on the Sky News Press Preview in their discussion on Orlando?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEgd9q8ugs4

I don't blame him for walking off, faced with that level of brick-walling tactics from Mark and his continual refusal to accept the point the guy was making. How anyone could deny it was an LGBT hate crime on the guests in the club is illogical to me.

If nutters repeatedly shooting up in schools won't force the USA to rethink their constitution and sort out their gun laws, then nothing ever will sadly. :(
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Bit late but... GOOOO ICELAND!
  • UlfgeirrUlfgeirr Posts: 3,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit late but... GOOOO ICELAND!

I think you're showing a small country mentality. ;-)

Iceland far and away have the best fans in the entire tournament.
  • dtd222dtd222 Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The events in Orlando were truly upsetting to me. I'm a gay American who went to university in Florida 200 miles from Orlando. I woke up from an app news alert 90 minutes after the shooting began. Fortunately, I did not know any of the victims, but my heart breaks nonetheless. Nearly all of my gay friends from university had been to the club before. My boyfriend has only been to a gay club once before, and it was Pulse. He was also in one of the hospitals victims were brought to just two hours before the shooting began. While I knew he had no plan of being in the club that night, it was very unnerving that of all days for him to decide to sleep in until 3pm without charging his phone was that day. So for 12 hours, I continued to tell myself he was safe, but throughout the day my faith began to waiver. Especially after I heard a city commissioner say, "If you haven't heard from a loved one by now, its probably not good news." Fortunately, he contacted me 30 minutes later!

Even before it occurred to me anyone I knew could have been affected, I cried from a news story for the first time. Watching the mother's left unaware of any facts on the sidewalk outside a hospital having had text conversations with their sons was too much for me to handle.

While my background is in political science and public policy, and I am a massive news junkie, I was also very shocked the attacker pledged allegiance to ISIS, and may have himself been a closeted gay. I had assumed the attacker was a right-winged terrorist, which there have been far more attacks of those type in the United States than Islamic ones. In further upsetting news, which I don't know if this made headlines in the UK, a man was arrested hours later outside LA with rifles and explosives who said he was on his way to the LA Pride Parade.

I'm not hopeful that significant changes to gun laws will occur unfortunately. If Republicans have blocked increased gun control following the slaughter of first graders, college students, movie goers, high school students, office workers, and military members, I don't believe the murder of gays and allies will change that. In 2009, Congress considered expanding crimes that are motivated by sexuality to those considered hate crimes. The House only voted affirmatively 281-146, and the senate by a margin of, 63-28. The composition of Congress is now much more conservative than it was then. The one minor victory that may occur is the obvious, that a person on the terror watch list should not be allowed to purchase a gun. But, even after the San Bernadino attacks, which occurred at a Christmas office party, Republicans were still opposed to this change....

To further harp on how awful our gun laws are, there is a three day waiting period in Florida for a handgun. There is no waiting period for purchasing a gun that requires two hands....And to top it all off there's the farce of a candidate named Donald Trump.....
  • BBAnneBBAnne Posts: 23,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I hate most things about Azerbaijan, that formula 1 track looks pretty awesome
    Forum Member
    BBAnne wrote: »
    As much as I hate most things about Azerbaijan, that formula 1 track looks pretty awesome

A Tilke circuit that isn't terrible, miracles can happen! :o

I love that section by the castle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »

It looks sooooo tight there! I can see problems come Sunday...will be interesting anyway. I'm out all day at a friends wedding so will miss it all anyway! Probs wont get to see highlights until Wednesday evening...see how long I can avoid spoilers for...!
  • avbavb Posts: 9,612
    Forum Member
    Lisa.B wrote: »

Just a shame they paved over the cobblestones in the old town, now that really would have been fun! :D Looking forward to seeing how many times they manage to show the Flame Towers on TV during the weekend...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avb wrote: »
    Just a shame they paved over the cobblestones in the old town, now that really would have been fun! :D Looking forward to seeing how many times they manage to show the Flame Towers on TV during the weekend...

I am sooooo looking forward to seeing who does the national anthem before the race! My money is on a Rybak violin solo or a Nikki "live singing" episode. "I'm running, I'm scared of Armenia..." :blush:
    Forum Member
    avb wrote: »

Haha! They're moaning enough as it is about the track cutting the tyres, without adding a cobblestone section. :D I'm surprised there's no "Land of... " branding yet. They could always name the corners. "Land of Turn 1", "Land of Turn 2"
    nick1990 wrote: »
    I am sooooo looking forward to seeing who does the national anthem before the race! My money is on a Rybak violin solo or a Nikki "live singing" episode. "I'm running, I'm scared of Armenia..." :blush:

Oh god!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha! Sooo many opportunities for Azerbaijan to be all Azerbaijan-y 😄😄

I'm working an early shift tomorrow, so will go for media blackout til 4pm again *sighs*
    Forum Member
    Lol watching qualifying and I've just seen the big billboard - "The speed is higher in the land of fire" :D
  • Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm damn sure one of the Icelandic football team is a member of Pollaponk on his off days. Check out the guy with the beard.;-)

Go Iceland!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm damn sure one of the Icelandic football team is a member of Pollaponk on his off days. Check out the guy with the beard.;-)

Go Iceland!

Apparently, the guy who directed Never Forget video is in the squad - but I totally see the Pollaponk reference!

They're playing against some A Dal participants (in my head, obviously) including Linda Kiraly in goal :)
  • Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBAnne wrote: »
    Apparently, the guy who directed Never Forget video is in the squad - but I totally see the Pollaponk reference!

They're playing against some A Dal participants (in my head, obviously) including Linda Kiraly in goal :)

It's the Icelandic goalie who directed Greta's video.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought being at a major tournament was surreal enough, but winning the group :o:D
  • weedydiamondweedydiamond Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ulfgeirr wrote: »
    I thought being at a major tournament was surreal enough, but winning the group :o:D

I didn't know you were Welsh Ulfie? :D :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know you were Welsh Ulfie? :D :cool:

Technically half, and half English too, but I was always brought up supporting Wales.
    Forum Member
    Are we not all Welsh or Icelandic now? :p

We couldn't have signed our own death warrant any more if we tried. Now got Germany, Italy, Spain and France in our half of the draw.
  • Gwen 404Gwen 404 Posts: 3,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ulfgeirr wrote: »
    Technically half, and half English too, but I was always brought up supporting Wales.

me too! although im technically only quarter Welsh :D. im the best facepainter in my family so i have painted y ddraig goch on many faces this week :p
    We couldn't have signed our own death warrant any more if we tried. Now got Germany, Italy, Spain and France in our half of the draw.
    youre assuming we get passed iceland, portugal or hungary there, one at a time please this is where it always goes haywired :D
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL at Italy meeting Spain next round :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justice for Greta!!!!!! Just brilliant! I need to dig out my family tree as my heart has been going waaaaaay over normal football support for Iceland this tournament!