Options

512mb of ram with vista

2»

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Acer laptop is about 4 years old now I should thin, it still works ok, the only problem with mine is the keyboard is awful and I already replaced it once.

Ok the battery is not that great either.

running mint and it still works well apart from those two problems.
  • Options
    DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow that's pretty old! I know loads of people who have had trouble with Acer laptops though.
    I also know loads of people have issues with Dell, Sony, Fujitsu, etc. All brands make bad batches/models.
  • Options
    2000motels2000motels Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    I have roughly the same Acer laptop which was bought in 2008, it had 1GB ram and upgraded it to 3GB and made some difference, I don't have Vista on it any more as I have a dual boot with XP and 8, it's an aright laptop for browsing and doing a bit of office but anything else and it struggles and that's all I use it for as it's not my main computer, it works perfectly, no need to replace it yet.
  • Options
    LinearCandidateLinearCandidate Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Sometimes, it isn't always the RAM which is causing the bottleneck, it can sometimes be a cheap hard disk drive the manufacturer install in the PC, because they didn't cut costs anywhere else.

Anyways this thread reminds me of an article I read in an issue of ComputerActive back in early 2007, and I read an article where they tested out a computer with 512MB of RAM and integrated graphics, and it mentioned that they tested out Windows Vista Home Premium on this system, and were even able to use the Aero Glass interface! :eek:

In a different computer magazine, also from 2007, I remember reading an advertisement about the Windows Vista launch offers the now-defunct Evesham Computers company were doing at the time, and they were offering small form factor computer they called "Sqube", and it came with 512MB of RAM installed, 64MB integrated NVIDIA graphics and Windows Vista Home Premium pre-installed on it! :eek::D Fortunately, if you ordered online, you could select a computer to order, then customize it to the exact configuration you wanted. So I think I would have asked for it to have at least 2GB of RAM installed if I had ordered such a system! :D
  • Options
    darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just me or is this thread 7 years too late :confused:
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    Is it just me or is this thread 7 years too late :confused:

In terms of Vista, you're probably right. But note that XP is still very widely used, especially in the business/work sector. It's only really Win7 SP1 that's eventually going to topple it.