GoT Season 5 to be simulcast around the world (except in the UK?)

2»

Comments

• davies24davies24 Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    As someone who has watched the last 2 seasons online at US pace I'm slightly gutted that sky have opted out, as although I can no longer watch at 2/3am due to a shift change I'd like to watch it ad-free as soon as I get home.

I can understand why they've done it though. I'd imagine GoT is by far the biggest draw to Sky Atlantic, and I'm sure most of their customers would do the same as me i.e. record the live broadcast and watch at a later time. Anyone have any idea how many people watched the regular 9pm recording last year? If 500k people watched the opening episodes simulcast I can imagine the 9pm showing with adverts took one hell of a hit, and no doubt sky wouldn't want to take the advertising hit on their biggest non-sporting ratings getter.
  • Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    davies24 wrote: »
    As someone who has watched the last 2 seasons online at US pace I'm slightly gutted that sky have opted out, as although I can no longer watch at 2/3am due to a shift change I'd like to watch it ad-free as soon as I get home.

I can understand why they've done it though. I'd imagine GoT is by far the biggest draw to Sky Atlantic, and I'm sure most of their customers would do the same as me i.e. record the live broadcast and watch at a later time. Anyone have any idea how many people watched the regular 9pm recording last year? If 500k people watched the opening episodes simulcast I can imagine the 9pm showing with adverts took one hell of a hit, and no doubt sky wouldn't want to take the advertising hit on their biggest non-sporting ratings getter.

What they could do is make it available on-demand before it airs at 9pm, but that's essentially throwing money away (although Sky Atlantic is more of a subscription driver than an advertising driver, which is why it isn't available on Virgin Media).