Options

Is Julie Andrews really so sugary sweet?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We all have our kinky sides.

I am sure Ms Andrews is no different. I personally like the secretarial look of a woman. :p

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Julie Andrews isn't really Mary Poppins:confused::rolleyes:

Nobody is nice 100% of the time. Big deal.

Exactly what I was going to say.
  • Options
    twellstwells Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh I cant remember who it was now, but i watched an interview with someone...I'm thinking it was one of the actors that played one of the von trap kids.

She said that JA used to swear like a trooper, and was pretty foul mouthed and nothing like the characters she played, but stilll a nice person.

All performers swear like troopers and have since the beginning of time. Even in the days when it wasn't being done in "polite society". And I'd like to suggest that a kid who had been supporting her family since before she was 12, probably had to toughen up early. What a load of garbage.
  • Options
    brumiladbrumilad Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Julie Andrews isn't really Mary Poppins:confused::rolleyes:

Nobody is nice 100% of the time. Big deal.
    To be honest Mary Poppins was right old cow at times too (has anyone actually seen the movie??!!)
  • Options
    Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,372
    Forum Member
    brumilad wrote: »
    To be honest Mary Poppins was right old cow at times too (has anyone actually seen the movie??!!)

:D she was pretty harsh at times, wasn't she?

I honestly don't believe for a second that anyone (other than the very naive) would consider Julie Andrews to be exactly like the characters she became famous for. She's an actress, the clue is in her job title! I'm not saying she's some horrible diva, either - I'm sure it's perfectly possible for her to have good mood days and bad mood days, just like the rest of us!
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I`ve never looked at her the same way since she got her jugs out in the 80s.

THAT photo was etched on my 12 year old mind back in the day.... Not so much the 'jugs', as the game smile that went with them! It was almost as if she was saying 'Yes! They are good, arent they?!'
    :blush::o:D
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She gets her boobs out in S.O.B.

THATs the one! Son Of A Bitch!

The comeback movie, that didn't quite make her come back!
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never met her
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    I've never met her

I have. Yesterday. She was in Tescos, buying some melons.

'Nice melons', I said to her.

She slapped my face.

'No, those in your hands!' - I pointed frantically, not wishing to upset this Goddess.

"Ah, yes", she said.

Nice woman. :D:p
  • Options
    milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She seems to have handled losing her voice very well, that tells us a lot about her strength of character.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have. Yesterday. She was in Tescos, buying some melons.

'Nice melons', I said to her.

She slapped my face.

'No, those in your hands!' - I pointed frantically, not wishing to upset this Goddess.

"Ah, yes", she said.

Nice woman. :D:p

How did she slap you, with melons in both hand?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    batmobile2 wrote: »
    She is meant to be a lovely, genuine, down to earth person - not a goody two shoes and not perfect (not even practically in every way! ). She has a wicked sense of humour, as proven in a few interviews I've seen and is supposedly a 'good egg'. I would imagine the devastation of losing something so precious as your voice through a botch job would have something to do with her being a little cynical and bitter about people cashing in on her name.

Very true. Also in the business she is in & the time she was in it, she's had to be tough in order to get where she got to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did she slap you, with melons in both hand?

She put them down first - then quickly picked them up again. ;)
  • Options
    FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    Why are successful women in showbiz expected to be sweet and sugary? It's a hard, cutthroat industry, and you can't make it if you're not equipped with the right personality.

She seems liked by her costars, but isn't a doormat and can say no to people trying to use her and take advantage of her. Unfortunately that's many times seen as a negative quality for women.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    She's in Dublin at the moment and I had dealings with her through my job. She certainly comes across as lovely, friendly and very approachable. Everyone else agreed. There was no hint of diva-ish behaviour from her at all.
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She cut her teeth in theatre. You have to be tough, sometimes even ruthless, to survive and succeed in theatre. Just as ballet dancers are said to be fitter and tougher physically than Royal Marines, so theatre actors are far tougher than those who work exclusively in film or on TV.

That said, I work in the TV industry and, while I have never met or worked with her, I have never heard a bad thing about her either. In an industry where rumours of bad behaviour spread faster than a dose of the clap on a warship this is telling. It suggests she really is rather lovely.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just because she might have a bit of a steely core- I say 'might'- it doesn't make her a diva or a 'difficult' person. Someone clearly has more to gain (attention-wise and financially) by putting out an article that paints her in an alternative light. I mean, knowing how the media works, an article saying how lovely she is would not be particularly 'newsworthy'. It's never been the domain of a subset of journalists/ feature writers to give a damn about accuracy if a few 'embellishments' spice up a story to make it more marketable. In a media-savvy world, we should surely be aware it happens all of the time.
  • Options
    soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    That said, I work in the TV industry and, while I have never met or worked with her, I have never heard a bad thing about her either. In an industry where rumours of bad behaviour spread faster than a dose of the clap on a warship this is telling. It suggests she really is rather lovely.

This. I used to be a sound engineer in radio and theatre and while I never had any dealings with her directly (I think I did work on a stage production that she was in once, but I can't remember actually talking to her) everyone I know who has worked with her says she is lovely. She is very focussed on her work and when working she hasn't got much time for idle chatter, but outside of work she is known to be very friendly and egalitarian. She also goes out of her way to recognise the (largely unsung) crew of technical staff who make the shows happen. This is unfortunately not all that common among leading actors.