The End of Waterloo Road?

Comments

• miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, Karen and her family reinvigorated my interest in Waterloo Road.

I am not liking the new teachers much, but all the time Tom, Grantly, Janeese...Chalky and Josh and co are in it...I will be interested I think.
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,943
    Forum Member
    i think people are being way to OTT about it. yes its not the same as it was when it started but its still a good show. some dodgy acting from the kids but not every kid is going to be amazing. as long as the teachers are decent actors then its good enough!

the kids storylines are realistic which is also important as it is about a school. the teachers storylines are more soap-style ones.

i think michael is an interesting character.

as long as grantly and tom remain then it will be fine. i am a bit worried about the move but im willing to give it a chance and liking michael helps lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    It is pretty boring now. The only new character that I like is Sian.

The move to Scotland isnt going to help at all.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love that Matt is back :D
  • scorpion10scorpion10 Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's about being the same show it was when it started as things move on...Its about continuity.

I agree it feels like a whole new different show. Where is Robson Green for example?

I said last night in the other thread i've never missed an episode and i just can't seem to get into this series. The new head has nothing to like about him, it worked well before as we had bigger names playing those parts.

But I'll stick with it could turn around....
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that new teacher with the blonde hair is a rubbish actress who hasn't even got charisma!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Really loved it most when Rachel Mason was head, karen was good too though. Definitely think move to Scotland will kill it off tho it really won't be the same.
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also think Waterloo Road is losing something as well.

Perhaps its too near its sell by date? I think it could be the last series but one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    i know they are moving it to scotland but is it not just the set that will be moving, it wont be a scottish based school?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't watched last nights episode yet - it's the first ever time since the very first one that I haven't bothered to watch. I'll probably watch it on iPlayer through the week but I lost interest ages ago tbh.

As much as I loved them, the show survived the loss of Izzie, Jack, Mika etc. but at the end of series four when Chlo's year left I think it started to go downhill, and then even further when Rachel left, as well as Bolton's year. I never took to Karen and the rest of the Fishers and then Steph went too! I'll be gutted if Tom goes.

I'll probably still watch no matter how dire it gets though, after watching from the start I feel as if I need to stick it out to the end!:o:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Btw how come Amy suddenly dissapeared like many others in the past :confused: You'd think Lauren/Finn would have mentioned it...

And also how come after Amy/Finn made the suicide pack in the 5th series and after all that barely interacted in S6 :confused:
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And also how come after Amy/Finn made the suicide pack in the 5th series and after all that barely interacted in S6 :confused:

I wondered that too - it was such a big, emotional episode and was never mentioned again!
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new English teacher (also in Miranda) should be the head instead of the wooden Scottish actor.

Smithy from The Bill and thingy from Holby City have to be the worst pair of teachers to join the show since it's incarnation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    i know they are moving it to scotland but is it not just the set that will be moving, it wont be a scottish based school?

nope, the current series will have an "explosive" end, which sees some teachers and pupils relocating to scotland, to open a new academy with the same name.
    completely unrealistic.
    Forum Member
    scorpion10 wrote: »
    I don't think it's about being the same show it was when it started as things move on...Its about continuity.

I agree it feels like a whole new different show. Where is Robson Green for example?

I said last night in the other thread i've never missed an episode and i just can't seem to get into this series. The new head has nothing to like about him, it worked well before as we had bigger names playing those parts.

But I'll stick with it could turn around....

But those actors leave after a couple of series. It's nice to have an unknown actor cos you don't have any expectations. He has been good so far
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel the explosive end will have something to do with the bloke who stabbed Michael and/or Tariq. Remember Tariq is out on licence and although the guy was found not guilty, you never know....
  • dannyl1989dannyl1989 Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they have to move the location to Scotland that is fair enough. I think they should just still make it set in Rochdale, but just relocate the school within the programme, that would make more sense. But just moving the location to a completely different place is ludicrous.

Hmm I am kind of liking this series, but it is nowhere as good as when Miss Mason or Mrs Fisher was in it or even Mr Rimmer.

I really like Sian and the new head of English, as for the new head, I just cannot warm to him at all.

I thought last night's episode was quite good, It was nice to see Emily and go back to the story from series 5. Good continuity.

Did Lucy Allen, sorry Martin produce yesterday's episode? She seems to Produce good episodes for WR.
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should end it after the mess they've made. No less than EIGHT regular characters have vanished between series this time with no explanation, including the head and deputy. As a viewer since episode one, I've never been more angry and less interested in trying to get back into the show. The constant rejuvenations and cast clearouts is getting extremely tiresome.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    I thought last nights episode was dire...really boring and next weeks doesn't look much cop either :yawn: really disappointed as ive followed it from the begining as most of you probably have x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    I feel the explosive end will have something to do with the bloke who stabbed Michael and/or Tariq. Remember Tariq is out on licence and although the guy was found not guilty, you never know....

Hmm, the "bad boy" Muslim/middle-eastern looking kid in a plot to blow up the school? I'm not sure even Waterloo Road would stoop that low...

I'm only a casual viewer, but I'm starting to get annoyed with the writing staff's complete indifference to continuity or character development. I previously thought that having characters "disappear" with nobody saying anything about their departure was simply a fast way to reintroduce them to the show if need be, but I've come to realise that it's just sloppy writing from a creative team who don't care at all about their characters beyond what tired, clichéd plotline they can force them to go through every week.

I miss Eleanor Chaudry; I found her to be one of the more likeable characters last series, along with Chalky (Mark Benton has thankfully returned this series, but I do hope they're not angling to kill him off...) - but it seems that in the end, all she was used for was the hackneyed old "LEA threaten to close the school" storyline, paired up with a pantomime villain of a school inspector. Once her role in that storyline was over, so was she.

I'd love the Waterloo Road writing staff to take a character that has gone through a scripted story arc and fulfilled their role in it, and keep them in the mix - think up new stories for them to take part in, ones that will challenge them to develop further. Y'know, like every other serious drama on TV?
  • -Jade"-Jade" Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    CNash wrote: »
    I'd love the Waterloo Road writing staff to take a character that has gone through a scripted story arc and fulfilled their role in it, and keep them in the mix - think up new stories for them to take part in, ones that will challenge them to develop further. Y'know, like every other serious drama on TV?

Exactly. I don't care about them getting rid of characters if it's their time to leave (so Year 11s or 13s), it's a school after all and nobody stays forever, but most characters have one weak storyline and then disappear. It's why I'm hoping Emily and Denzil don't get cut when the show moves to Scotland, they're the only pupils (other than the likes of Finn, Lauren and Josh who should be leaving school anyway) who've consistently appeared in the show since their arrivals, even if most of it has been making the odd contribution to other people's one-off storylines. I know you could include Scout in that too, and I do like her character, but she's not been in the show long enough to really tell yet.
  • EE STILL ROCKSEE STILL ROCKS Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Love the show!

It does take me few eps of each series to adjust to the cast shuffling, but somehow they alwys seem to manage it, this time they appear to be bedding in the new characters over a longer episode run, which in the longer ter I think will be a good idea.

As for moving to Scotland...whats the bg deal? BBC Scotland produce the show so it's not that unreal for them to want to ship it up there since the current set is falling down around them!

I think we should all hang fire, see what happens and then we can always turn off if its shite! But, seriosuly, how many times I have heard people say its not the same after each head teacher change, only for them to end up loving that series! :)
    Forum Member
    CNash wrote: »
    Hmm, the "bad boy" Muslim/middle-eastern looking kid in a plot to blow up the school? I'm not sure even Waterloo Road would stoop that low...

I'm only a casual viewer, but I'm starting to get annoyed with the writing staff's complete indifference to continuity or character development. I previously thought that having characters "disappear" with nobody saying anything about their departure was simply a fast way to reintroduce them to the show if need be, but I've come to realise that it's just sloppy writing from a creative team who don't care at all about their characters beyond what tired, clichéd plotline they can force them to go through every week.

I miss Eleanor Chaudry; I found her to be one of the more likeable characters last series, along with Chalky (Mark Benton has thankfully returned this series, but I do hope they're not angling to kill him off...) - but it seems that in the end, all she was used for was the hackneyed old "LEA threaten to close the school" storyline, paired up with a pantomime villain of a school inspector. Once her role in that storyline was over, so was she.

really? what she did was really mean and she was quite rude to some of the pupils and to the staff but she did redeem herself. i thought her and tom were good so it was a shame they couldnt develop that. tom hasn't really been with anyone seriously since izzie (i dont really count davina + rose as serious) i wish they would acknowledge her
    Love the show!

It does take me few eps of each series to adjust to the cast shuffling, but somehow they alwys seem to manage it, this time they appear to be bedding in the new characters over a longer episode run, which in the longer ter I think will be a good idea.

As for moving to Scotland...whats the bg deal? BBC Scotland produce the show so it's not that unreal for them to want to ship it up there since the current set is falling down around them!

I think we should all hang fire, see what happens and then we can always turn off if its shite! But, seriosuly, how many times I have heard people say its not the same after each head teacher change, only for them to end up loving that series! :)

i know i mean i've loved all heads (karen being my least fav) i dont get why people are like "I miss such and such head it isnt the same" etc people leave shows move on deal with it lol its just the same as the soaps! the only one i'd be gutted about leaving is tom and it would be hard to watch without him in it but i'd get over it eventually. i did miss eddie a lot when he left but im over that now
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the first and second series fully and have dipped in and out ever since but find it so confusing with the constant cast changes, especially the teachers minus Grantly and Tom it seems like a different cast every series, are they incapable of keeping cast long enough or are certain characters just given the boot?
  • kessukikessuki Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    Aye I hope it does well so that next series the headteacher will change again to a more established actor we are familiar with. However I've lost interest because the only person I liked has quit the show.- Chris Mead I miss your sexyface comebackkk.