Exodus of O2 (BE) Subscribers over sale to Sky

Comments

• BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    If there's any slowness in speed once the switch has taken place, I might just go to BT Infinity. I've just been on Sky's site and it says that I'll need to rent a phone line from them in order to use their broadband. Is this right?.
    Normally yes. Not if you are coming from O2/Be.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    Normally yes. Not if you are coming from O2/Be.

Ah, right. Thanks.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even more incentive to move to BT infinity, now they are offering their sports channels for free.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zenith wrote: »
    Even more incentive to move to BT infinity, now they are offering their sports channels for free.

Yep. It launches 1st August.
  • neil79neil79 Posts: 535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes very tempting but only free for 12 months and would have to watch on a computer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still can't decide between BT, Plusnet and Sky.

My area now has fibre and Sky are offering cheaper deals than BT on the 38mb deal. Plusnet offer a good unlimited deal on the 76mb but appear to limit their 38mb deal to 40gig.

I am not a big fan of Sky but don't see BT as much better. Are Sky's support UK based ? Pretty certain Plusnet are UK based like O2 have been. Plusnet also seem to offer the best value 76mb service.

I could upgrade to Sky fibre now but would have to wait for my O2 contract to finish in July before switching to BT or Plusnet.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neil79 wrote: »
    Yes very tempting but only free for 12 months and would have to watch on a computer.
    Don't mind watching it on a pc connected to my TV.

Where did you see that it was only free for 12 months?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't mind watching it on a pc connected to my TV.

Where did you see that it was only free for 12 months?

I read that it goes up to £3pm for those not signed up before August. Think I saw it on BT website.
  • TheEngineerTheEngineer Posts: 7,789
    Forum Member
    Add me to the list that left / is leaving when Sky bought O2.

I have not paid full price for Sky (basic package - no movies or sports) for 5+ years (apart from the odd month when a half price offer runs out) as I regularly "cancel" Sky unless they give me another half price offer! On that basis I wouldn't want the broadband in the same package.

Went to BT Infinity which was only just enabled in my area :D

£5 a month more overall for what is estimated to be 3 times the download speed and 8 times the upload speed (which is important to me).
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neil79 wrote: »
    I still can't decide between BT, Plusnet and Sky.

My area now has fibre and Sky are offering cheaper deals than BT on the 38mb deal. Plusnet offer a good unlimited deal on the 76mb but appear to limit their 38mb deal to 40gig.

I am not a big fan of Sky but don't see BT as much better. Are Sky's support UK based ? Pretty certain Plusnet are UK based like O2 have been. Plusnet also seem to offer the best value 76mb service.

I could upgrade to Sky fibre now but would have to wait for my O2 contract to finish in July before switching to BT or Plusnet.

AFAIK it's UK based. At least, I've only ever talked to someone in the UK on the odd occasion I've phoned Sky.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I havn't left, as i should be getting the same on Sky as i get with O2, as im on the old legacy Standard package, which is also unlimited.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, that would not get me moving to BT, i want broadband that works at the fastest speed I can get, not what Bt think I should get.

After the last time I was with Bt, I would never use them again even if I was interested in watching some over paid men kicking a ball around a field for free, which I am not

Saying that it is good to see sky having some competition
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it with Sky that some people have a problem with? If they're a good and reliable service, why migrate just because Sky's decided to buy O2 out?
    The fact that their broadband is shocking. I know numerous people who have Sky broadband and the connection keeps dropping out. Can't say I have ever had a problem with BT. Maybe Sky should invest in their servers rather than wasting money on A List celebs in their ads.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Well, that would not get me moving to BT, i want broadband that works at the fastest speed I can get, not what Bt think I should get.

After the last time I was with Bt, I would never use them again even if I was interested in watching some over paid men kicking a ball around a field for free, which I am not

Saying that it is good to see sky having some competition

So when you going FTTC?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    So when you going FTTC?

Not planning to and that is what I have said before that I am not planning to. I told you, I don't need it.
    I am happy with the service I am getting and I don't feel the need to change.
    i can't change at the moment anyway for at least 12 months, well I could, but I would be paying for two broadband services.

Unless something goes wrong, like company going belly up, which I can't see them doing or the cathedral falling down, again I can't see that happening, I will be staying as I am. Even if something did happen, what makes you think i would go for FTTC? as I said before none of the smaller ISPs offer FTTC at a decent price.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    kyussmondo wrote: »
    The fact that their broadband is shocking. I know numerous people who have Sky broadband and the connection keeps dropping out. Can't say I have ever had a problem with BT. Maybe Sky should invest in their servers rather than wasting money on A List celebs in their ads.
    Posts like these - with alleged "facts" - are obviously highly biased!

Objectively - neutral surveys for example - have shown that the majority of people find that Sky run one of the best broadband services in the UK!

Personally I changed from Be to Sky and found no differences! Except cost!
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not planning to and that is what I have said before that I am not planning to. I told you, I don't need it.
    I am happy with the service I am getting and I don't feel the need to change.
    i can't change at the moment anyway for at least 12 months, well I could, but I would be paying for two broadband services.

Unless something goes wrong, like company going belly up, which I can't see them doing or the cathedral falling down, again I can't see that happening, I will be staying as I am. Even if something did happen, what makes you think i would go for FTTC? as I said before none of the smaller ISPs offer FTTC at a decent price.

So why did you say that you're looking for the fastest speed you can get then? Surely fibre broadband would be the fastest speed you can get?
  • James RalstonJames Ralston Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    I havn't left, as i should be getting the same on Sky as i get with O2, as im on the old legacy Standard package, which is also unlimited.

Are you going to take either their line rental or TV package ? - or are you going to stick with BB alone ?
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on the legacy tariff and have had a letter today saying I will be transferred to the Sky Unlimited broadband. I have an o2 phone contract so get a discount and Sky havent's mentioned any prices in any of their correspondence. Anyone know if it will automatically increase when the transfer to Sky goes through? I'm not having my land line with Sky
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    I give up. Proof, evidence, must mean something different to you.

Do you honestly think that you have evidence that o2 customers are leaving in droves because of sky?

I left them today because of Sky...and so has my daughter.;)
    (gone over to BT)

Murdoch was the main reason.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    I am out as soon as I can get some definitive answers to my BT Sports questions but I was queuing for the exit as soon as the Sky deal was confirmed.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kyussmondo wrote: »

Sky does invest in its network, and its unbundled (LLU) broadband has an excellent reputation.

It is not a "fact" that Sky broadband is "shocking" (unless you mean Sky Broadband Connect, which *is* shocking because it's a highly traffic managed re-sold BTW service for people not in Sky network areas).

Do these people you know know why their connections drop out? Have they ever checked to see what causes it (given that domestic phone wiring often plays a part in poor connections), or do they just blame Sky regardless?
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you going to take either their line rental or TV package ? - or are you going to stick with BB alone ?

BB alone, my line is BT.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why did you say that you're looking for the fastest speed you can get then? Surely fibre broadband would be the fastest speed you can get?

When did I say I was looking for the fastest speed I can get? I don't remember saying that at all.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When did I say I was looking for the fastest speed I can get? I don't remember saying that at all.

See your post #63