Marvel's Agent Carter

Comments

• claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely one of the best Marvel productions in a while (alongside Winter Soldier). Much better than Shield with more distinct and developed characters and a tighter plot.

The working relationship and potential friendship between Carter and Jarvis is a refreshing and delightful partnership.

The only bad thing about it is too few episodes!
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Much better than Shield with more distinct and developed characters and a tighter plot.

Yes that's why I felt it was better than Shield too.

Shield could learn from Carter.
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    Just finished watching the first 2 episodes and am loving it :D
  • ToneXIRToneXIR Posts: 3,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was fun with a capital FUN. Shame C4 passed on it, they missed a trick there, only hope that maybe if netflix (most likely due to the Marvel connection and Daredevil starting in April) don't pick it up then maybe ABC studio box sets on catch up might. But it probably won't happen until all 8 episodes are shown. Highly enjoyable so far.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed that. A much stronger start than Agents of SHIELD (although that has since got so much better than it was when it began).

Hearing Caro Emerald at the start made me think of BioShock Infinite but I doubt we'll be having space-time tears in this ;)

As this is set before the One Shot, will Shea Whigham (Eli from Boardwalk Empire) be getting replaced by Bradley Whitford at the end?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One thing I noticed after watching Avengers Assemble is that Jarvis must be the role model for the Jarvis program Iron Man uses in his suit.
  • newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ToneXIR wrote: »
    That was fun with a capital FUN. Shame C4 passed on it, they missed a trick there, only hope that maybe if netflix (most likely due to the Marvel connection and Daredevil starting in April) don't pick it up then maybe ABC studio box sets on catch up might. But it probably won't happen until all 8 episodes are shown. Highly enjoyable so far.

Has no UK broadcaster picked this up then?
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Has no UK broadcaster picked this up then?

Nope.
  • G926G926 Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed the first two episodes.
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,570
    Forum Member
    Hopefully Channel 4 will have a look again an decide to pick it up.

It'll be interesting to know if episode 8 leads into things that may be picked up in AoS, that could be annoying for UK viewers who don't get a chance to see Agent Carter.

Very entertaining opening episodes, with any luck it will get recommissioned (along with a third series of AoS).
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Very entertaining opening episodes, with any luck it will get recommissioned (along with a third series of AoS).
    Apparently the end of AoS Series #2 sets up nicely for Age of Ultron, so they're bound to follow it up. I'll be amazed (truly) if AoS doesn't get renewed. They've got to keep it going until we at least tie in to the Inhumans films - and we really need to see Coulson (and maybe a cameo from Skye and the rest of the team) in Avengers 3. It's a two-part film. It'll be a poor job if they can't squeeze in a cameo from them.

If Coulson can't/isn't in Avengers 3, then he really needs to show up in the Civil War storyline.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I would hazard a guess that [she] didn't think the cafe girl could handle herself, thus stepped in on her behalf. Peggy clearly told the SSR guy that she could handle herself. My two cents?
    Hmmmm, I see your two cents but I ain't buying it. :nono: She didn't give the cafe girl a chance to deal with it herself (maybe she's had to handle dinks like that on a daily basis and take much satisfaction is spitting in their tea and letting the cat lick their steaks). Hopefully Peggy won't be the ONLY woman able to take care of herself and able+willing to stand up to the male-dinks that this era was peppered with.
  • FiercelyHipFiercelyHip Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It boggles my mind that no British broadcaster even considered picking this up.

I'm absolutely besotted after only the first two episodes. It's fun, engaging and Marvel has unearthed an absolute gem in delving into Peggy Carter. Hayley Atwell absolutely lights up the screen with her charisma too.

I love the stylisation, the quips, the fairly true to life adaptation of the time period for women. It's evoke the feels I once had with Buffy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It boggles my mind that no British broadcaster even considered picking this up.

I'm absolutely besotted after only the first two episodes. It's fun, engaging and Marvel has unearthed an absolute gem in delving into Peggy Carter. Hayley Atwell absolutely lights up the screen with her charisma too.

I love the stylisation, the quips, the fairly true to life adaptation of the time period for women. It's evoke the feels I once had with Buffy.
    I once had a feel with Buffy. :)

I do think they bash us over the head with the sexism of the day. But as long as they keep it jovial that won't be too much of a problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once had a feel with Buffy. :)

I do think they bash us over the head with the sexism of the day. But as long as they keep it jovial that won't be too much of a problem.

The thing is, that time was pretty hard work for women in the workplace. I don't really see it as something that's being bashed over the head with, but really just highlighting what it was like for women and why Peggy is frustrated after losing her place post-war. They could be showing a lot worse imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The thing is, that time was pretty hard work for women in the workplace. I don't really see it as something that's being bashed over the head with, but really just highlighting what it was like for women and why Peggy is frustrated after losing her place post-war. They could be showing a lot worse imo.

Yes I know history and I know women had it hard in the workplace.

But that doesn't mean a cult show has to go into the whole politics of it, especially with the hammer they are using.

We get it, Peggy is able to do anything a man can, and all the evil men don't let her.

OK now lets get on with the story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^trouble is, since the ONE-SHOT still has Peggy regarded as inferior by her collegues and is set AFTER the end of this series, we're gonna get "Peggy is great but the men don't care" thing for the whole of the series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    ^trouble is, since the ONE-SHOT still has Peggy regarded as inferior by her collegues and is set AFTER the end of this series, we're gonna get "Peggy is great but the men don't care" thing for the whole of the series.
    Oh was the One shot set after this series?

I thought it was a prequal to the series?

I'll have to watch it again as I have forgotten.

I'm resigned to the sexism being part of the series, but I just end up rolling my eyes every time it happens.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really can't understand why there hasn't been any news on a british broadcaster picking this up considering the reviews its been getting. At this rate season two will be starting before we even see one.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh was the One shot set after this series?

I thought it was a prequal to the series?

I'll have to watch it again as I have forgotten.

I'm resigned to the sexism being part of the series, but I just end up rolling my eyes every time it happens.

i seem to remember in the one shot howard stark offering her a job in the set-up of the early S.H.I.E.L.D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    i seem to remember in the one shot howard stark offering her a job in the set-up of the early S.H.I.E.L.D

Hopefully that will mean series 2 is about her creating early Shield and there will be less of the sexism stuff as she will in charge, although will probably have to deal with men who are below her not liking it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the OS having her offered that job, but ep1+2 having her still in the "secretary" position, that kinda confirms the OS's "happens after ep1+2" position. As to whether s1 will end with her being offered the job, so s2 can follow the creation and early stages of SHIELD, well that's another thing, cos I read somewhere on internet-land that a PTB associated with the Agent Carter series stated the OS comes AFTER the end of the series, rather than saying the series will come either side / sandwich the OS. Methinks it's a big case of wait-n-see. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    With the OS having her offered that job, but ep1+2 having her still in the "secretary" position, that kinda confirms the OS's "happens after ep1+2" position. As to whether s1 will end with her being offered the job, so s2 can follow the creation and early stages of SHIELD, well that's another thing, cos I read somewhere on internet-land that a PTB associated with the Agent Carter series stated the OS comes AFTER the end of the series, rather than saying the series will come either side / sandwich the OS. Methinks it's a big case of wait-n-see. :)

Yes but did they mean series or season? They could have just meant the end of season 1. I know they use seasons over there, but perhaps they didn't think at the time they would do more than one season?

Just speculating, we'll know eventually. I would just like to see the creation of Shield with Carter, rather than a series with Carter before Shield.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Did anyone else get a whiff of the Avengers off this? I kept thinking Mrs Peel.

I love the show so far. I hope this isn't a one off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I know history and I know women had it hard in the workplace.

But that doesn't mean a cult show has to go into the whole politics of it, especially with the hammer they are using.

We get it, Peggy is able to do anything a man can, and all the evil men don't let her.

OK now lets get on with the story.

But it is going to be integral to this arc, and thus is the story being told, and actually one of the aspects I like about it. So milage varies there. :)

I think it's going to be something certain people are going to identify with or empathise with as part of the story, or not particularly enjoy for personal reasons, and that's cool.

And I'd also like to see a story with the beginnings of Shield with Carter. Perhaps in season two. ;-)