Options

RIP Malcolm McLaren (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a talented man. A real loss. I think I'm right in saying he wrote the Aria on Air, for the British Airways advert? His music is so diverse, I loved Madame Butterfly and the video. Got a feeling we'll see a resurgence of his music.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is my question disrespectful, just googled him and he was the manager to sex pistols and married to V Westwood.

Do you expect me to say RIP here? Sorry I dont do that to people i have only just found out who they are. Also never met him.

If you really are a 'famemonster', as your name suggests, you should know your cultural history. ;)

Why do people feel the need to post to say they've never heard of someone when that person has just died? I doubt he'd ever heard of you, either.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is my question disrespectful, just googled him and he was the manager to sex pistols and married to V Westwood.

Do you expect me to say RIP here? Sorry I dont do that to people i have only just found out who they are. Also never met him.

Why not alleviate your ignorance of him first before crashing the thread? And unless you’re entirely without social skills you should realise that a thread carrying the breaking news of someone’s death, clearly affecting many, is not the place to air (real or pretend) gauche ignorance.
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's two people from this reality show dead now...

http://www.itv.com/Entertainment/reality/TheBaron/default.html

He wasn't at his best in this. Then again they did put him with an ultra-conservative family and stuck him in the middle of nowhere.
  • Options
    MadonnaMIXMadonnaMIX Posts: 9,692
    Forum Member
    Sad news thats another legend gone R.I.P Malcolm :(
  • Options
    BarbellaBarbella Posts: 5,417
    Forum Member
    If you really are a 'famemonster', as your name suggests, you should know your cultural history. ;)

Why do people feel the need to post to say they've never heard of someone when that person has just died? I doubt he'd ever heard of you, either.

Attention seeking.

Ignore them.
  • Options
    Duke of EarlDuke of Earl Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too Fast to Live, Too Young to Die
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    How very sad. I had no idea he was ill.
  • Options
    cuttlefishspikecuttlefishspike Posts: 5,761
    Forum Member
    kimindex wrote: »
    RIP, Malcolm. What a character he was! Yes, it does make you feel old. It would have been interesting to see if he'd ever have become a national treasure. He was still rebellious on that 'mayor' programme a while back.

I totally agree with you. I'm so shocked by this news. I had no idea he was ill.

He was quite bonkers and probably a nightmare to be around but I've always had a massive soft spot for Malcolm Mclaren.

The world is certainly a less interesting place without him. :(
  • Options
    FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    Cent wrote: »
    That's two people from this reality show dead now...

http://www.itv.com/Entertainment/reality/TheBaron/default.html

He wasn't at his best in this. Then again they did put him with an ultra-conservative family and stuck him in the middle of nowhere.

The milk of human kindness did not run in his veins an awful lot anyway.

As I say - he was a one off - pleasant individual? Nope. Unless he liked you of course!

I suppose he was the start of manufactured bands really wasn't he? He used people to make himself (and sometimes the people he looked after but not that often) a lot of money.

He was no saint and I'm sure Malcolm would be the first to admit it! He won't be one a lot of fawning.

Famemonster - seriously? If you don't know who he is then that's a bit tragic - at least bother to look before commenting - he's no zeleb - he was a huge icon. I'm sure even the Sex Pistols are known in your narrow vista.
  • Options
    mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fringo wrote: »
    The milk of human kindness did not run in his veins an awful lot anyway.

As I say - he was a one off - pleasant individual? Nope. Unless he liked you of course!

I suppose he was the start of manufactured bands really wasn't he? He used people to make himself (and sometimes the people he looked after but not that often) a lot of money.
    He was no saint and I'm sure Malcolm would be the first to admit it! He won't be one a lot of fawning.

Famemonster - seriously? If you don't know who he is then that's a bit tragic - at least bother to look before commenting - he's no zeleb - he was a huge icon. I'm sure even the Sex Pistols are known in your narrow vista.

I know this is so off topic, but I think The Monkees and many other 60's bands were manufactured. But McLaren did it with the Sex Pistols by going against the establishment rather than drip feeding what the establishment wanted. (though Pleasant Valley Sunday is quite subversive if you listen to the lyrics).
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Not really the place to be faux-disrespectful is it?

Actually, in respect of MM it's exactly the right place, the man invented faux-disrespect after all.

Anyway, I personally think he would hate a thread of platitudes and RIPs, but is probably pissed he didnt make Deathlist - speaking of which, arent they doing badly this year?
  • Options
    hometown38hometown38 Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    RIP Malcolm , you will be missed
  • Options
    FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    Actually, in respect of MM it's exactly the right place, the man invented faux-disrespect after all.

Anyway, I personally think he would hate a thread of platitudes and RIPs, but is probably pissed he didnt make Deathlist - speaking of which, arent they doing badly this year?

Indeed - but would be secretly loving it.

Mustard - you're right of course - The Monkees were probably the first that there touted as a manufactured band.

MM then chose the most disparate (untalented?) and ran with it. And thank christ he did!

I remember old Bow Wow Wow and loving it and the huge furore about her age - hilarious to think that in this day and age really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mustard - you're right of course - The Monkees were probably the first that there touted as a manufactured band.

MM then chose the most disparate (untalented?) and ran with it. And thank christ he did!

I remember old Bow Wow Wow and loving it and the huge furore about her age - hilarious to think that in this day and age really.

Gosh yes. How times change eh.
  • Options
    Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think everyone should listen to his track called 'Soweto' it's a lovely song
  • Options
    Chickens hitChickens hit Posts: 26,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Remember the uproar over the album cover photo with Anabella "naked". There'd probably be arrests if it was done today.

Have been listening to a lot of MM stuff tonight via Youtube......had never seen his work with Catherine Deneuve before, what a wonderful piece that is and his own singing on the track "Pere Lachaise" suits the mood and sound of the song beautifully.
  • Options
    Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Famous people do seem to die in threes and Mr McLaren is #3 after Corin Redgrave and Christopher Casenove

And John Forsythe too. :(
  • Options
    ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    Very fed up to see this.
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I just noted your post in The Bunker

He cut new ground, sad to hear of his passing
  • Options
    ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A visionary, he'll be missed.
  • Options
    IdiotgirleIdiotgirle Posts: 2,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Punk is dead. :(

::Turns Pretty Vacant up to eleven::
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Idiotgirle wrote: »
    Punk is dead. :(

::Turns Pretty Vacant up to eleven::

Nice.
  • Options
    Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    mustard99 wrote: »
    Oh my lord, just saw this on C4 News.

A genius, no matter what you thought of him. I remember punk as a scream for us teenagers to release us from the blandness of AOR/MOR music that the 70's was falling into.

We need another McLaren now.

RIP Malcolm.

Couldn't have put it better. Tho really don't think we'll get another MM

R.I.P

Malcolm Mclaren
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,283
    Forum Member
    Rip :(