Options

The Beatles - which album?

southladsouthlad Posts: 1,140
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If you were to recommend me one Beatles album, which would it be?

Cant decide which one to go for on Amazon!

Also is it likely the Beatles will ever appear on ITunes? (Maybe that's a whole new thread!)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abbey Road is the only Beatle's album I really like, mostly because I love Oh Darling.
  • Options
    BikoBiko Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my fav Beatles album is Abbey Road but the thing is their albums all have a different style.

I'd consider Rubber Soul and Revolver to be masterpieces aswell. Also you have to consider that some of their best songs don't feature on any of their albums
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I'd go with Abbey Road too, or if you can afford it, splash out on Past Masters or the White Album (The Beatles), they're both double albums so value, Past Masters is most of the singles but the White Album has so much variation there's guaranteed to be a song on there you like, although it can be a marmite album, some people love every track but others hate them. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    Rubber Soul!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My top 3:
    White Album - for the sheer volume and quality of songs
    Rubber Soul
    Revolver
  • Options
    rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Revolver or Sgt Pepper.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd go with Sgt Pepper
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Revolver followed by Sgt.Pepper.
  • Options
    mcghee76mcghee76 Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    The Red album and the Blue album which has all their best songs on them is the ones to go for.
  • Options
    yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rubber Soul, Revolver, and Abbey Road are the 3 greatest albums of all time, for me.

Anything from Rubber Soul, onwards, though, will be good value.
  • Options
    pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it's best to start with Abbey Road or Revolver. I started with Sgt. Pepper and then The White Album and in hindsight found they're not the best albums to start with, in my opinion.

The two I mentioned are simply a bunch of magnificently crafted songs that are quite enjoyable both inside and out. I found the White Album too hard-hitting originally but it's now my favourite album ever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    It sounds like you don't have any Beatles albums, so as an introduction I'd go for Beatles 1, which is a great album of their number one classics.

After that, it's worth dipping into their original catalogue. I'd start with Rubber Soul.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe start with Rubber Soul/Revolver. Captures the Beatles at a turning point and you will hear beautiful songs like Norwegian Wood and Here There and Everywhere.

Then Abbey Rd, (the melody on the second part of the album is genius), then the White Album. The White Album is so diverse and eclectic, probably their best, not neccessarily a good starting point though.

They are all great though! I like Please Please Me for the raw Beatles sound as well as Let it Be for the melancholy.

Past Masters might be a good compilation to get you started, then you can dip into the back catalogue as you choose.

The Anthology DVD if you can rent from a local library, gives an excellent record of their early years as well as telling the Beatles story mostly from their viewpoint.

Sorry too many suggestions. Whatever you choose you are in for some great songs..:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    lisalou7 wrote: »

The White Album is so diverse and eclectic, probably their best, not neccessarily a good starting point though.

I always think there was enough material for a really good single album, but not a double. A lot of it is quite self indulgent and hasn't aged well.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    revolver for me....