Options

Doctor Who: Listen BBC One/HD /09/2014 7.30 pm Official Thread

Comments

• Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob_Millen wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the episode. However two things struck me as I was watching...
    1. The toy soldier without a gun / the bravest of them all - an allegory for the Doctor?
    2. Perhaps a new layer / meaning into the Face of Boe's words - 'You Are Not Alone'?

Ooo I like that thought about "You Are Not Alone"

Did anyone else think the thing at the end of the universe could have been related to The Master? Wasn't that where his Utopia was?
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The contrast between this week and last week is quite striking to say the least. While 'RoS' played it very safe (nothing wrong with that BTW, I'm not criticizing), this episode took some risks.

That's why I love Doctor Who. You just never quite know what you're going to get.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this one twice now. I usually love the more understated Moffat episodes and I really loved the first 30 minutes of this one but the ending makes no sense. It's one of those things where initially it's great but after a while makes zero sense.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the episode pretty much says there was no monster and it was in The Doctor's head because Clara actually scared him when he was young? Right?

So what the hell is the point of the rest of the monster stuff in the episode? It doesn't add up.
  • Options
    Octopus_PrimeOctopus_Prime Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have not posted on here for a while, but just have to say this episode totally blow me away, Moffat can run this show to the end of time in my eyes if he keeps writing episodes like this!!!!!!

Capaldi is awesome as ever, loving Clara more and more as this series is going on, it makes me hope the rumour of her leaving at Xmas is bullcrap!
  • Options
    davebtdavebt Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    I am still buzzing. Brilliant storytelling. Will watch it again tonight. I feel like someone has given me a great present.
  • Options
    elven62elven62 Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    eggshell wrote: »
    My interpretation is that the Doctor created the Doctor... She only told the Child what she had learned from his 2000 year old self.

This is how I interpreted it too..

I have been lukewarm to the show and to the Doctor this series, even though I love PC as an actor. Tonight he became the Doctor for me. Loved it.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    So what or who was under the blanket? :confused:

Now then, now then, haven't you figured who it is yet?
  • Options
    billykubrickbillykubrick Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eggshell wrote: »
    My interpretation is that the Doctor created the Doctor... She only told the Child what she had learned from his 2000 year old self.

This is the kind of thing that can give one a headache! (Like the never ending loop of the travels of the toy soldier) Incidentally, the idea that the Doctor can be afraid ties in quite nicely with Hartnell's stories in early Who.
  • Options
    PR.PR. Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever was under the blanket doesn't look human to me...

http://i.imgur.com/FKaohRO.png

Bottom left
  • Options
    F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Hit and miss episode for me.

Felt a bit disjointed and left some gaping questions like if it's all just imaginary than what was that thing under the covers and what was Orson afraid of and what opened the door? It didn't explain it very well.

Did really enjoy the scary moments though. 6.5/10 from me

All of that wS explained. Probably another kid in the home who seen Clara and rupert under the bed and heard their chat who was playing tricks on them.
    Orson was alone for six months and at the end of the world. Over time with the creaking of the pipes and cooling of the shell of the ship he just became paranoid.
    The doctor said it was pressurised and after he unlocked it and broke the seal it opened itself with the pressure difference.

Anyway, loved it. Squealed like. Fan girl throughout. Really enjoyed all 4 episodes so far so for me this series is sitting very high. Only the opening 20 of deep breath has let me Down. Loved ItD and enjoyed RoS and this was a modern classic
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was a mind **** and a half. Going to have to rewatch it again.

I loved Peter and Jenna's interactions with each other. Their personal insults were quite amusing. I especially loved the 'Grey haired stick insect' line. :D

Danny Pink is beyond terrible. I hope he just a one series character.
  • Options
    davebtdavebt Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Have not posted on here for a while, but just have to say this episode totally blow me away, Moffat can run this show to the end of time in my eyes if he keeps writing episodes like this!!!!!!!

It's funny, this episode made me post too. It's about two years since my last post here. Speaks volumes about the quality of what we have just seen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You also see the sheet come off the "monster" in the bed scene. And that clearly isnt a kid. So what was it? It clearly wasnt their imagination.
  • Options
    F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PR. wrote: »

Bottom left

Could have been a bald Clara gone back to be there knowing she had to be there. She does have a wide face and big eyes remember and that looks to have a wide face and big eyes
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    Ooo I like that thought about "You Are Not Alone"

Did anyone else think the thing at the end of the universe could have been related to The Master? Wasn't that where his Utopia was?

I assumed it was after Utopia - wherever it was the Toclafane ended up after they'd died out. We were told in Last of the Time Lords that Utopia hadn't worked as salvation for the human race.
  • Options
    ChelseaEllieChelseaEllie Posts: 16,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bottom left

I like to assume all monsters we don't see are the silience and you forget them as soon as you turn away
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surrounded by his friends who do have guns

3rd Doctor and UNIT
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bottom left

Its Clara without her makeup on, what did you think the bit about her make up and having a wide face was about?;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I think that this weeks episode was more of a plot/character development story than anything else. Moffatt is trying to introduce the Danny Pink character and this was to give him some sort of context. I thought that it worked quite well. I need to watch the last ten minutes again though as that obviously involved the a doctor as a child. I missed the reason for them showing John Hurt's doctor.

They've done quite a few episodes/stories like this in Classic Doctor Who - Edge of Destruction is one example, but it's pretty brave to do it with New Who. It worked for me in general, so no complaints.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the kind of thing that can give one a headache! (Like the never ending loop of the travels of the toy soldier) Incidentally, the idea that the Doctor can be afraid ties in quite nicely with Hartnell's stories in early Who.

We shouldn't forget that the Doctor was a tearful (scared?) child already before Clara arrived and gave him words of wisdom from his older self.
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    Now then, now then, haven't you figured who it is yet?

:o:o:o Norty!
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    We need our poll before the 12am-1am surge! :D

we do need our poll and the thread to be pinned!
  • Options
    grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said I earlier I did really enjoy the episode but there is too much Clara and I want to know the doctor better and I know the date thing was a plot device but I hope they don't keep doing that.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    we do need our poll and the thread to be pinned!

It's a conspiracy! ;-) I'm not allowed to vote Excellent!

Baaaa
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    It's a conspiracy! ;-) I'm not allowed to vote Excellent!

Baaaa

Same here I want to vote too!