Options

Doctor Who: Listen BBC One/HD /09/2014 7.30 pm Official Thread

Comments

• Options
    Octopus_PrimeOctopus_Prime Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davebt wrote: »
    It's funny, this episode made me post too. It's about two years since my last post here. Speaks volumes about the quality of what we have just seen.
    Totally agree, looking forward to his other episodes now big time :)
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said I earlier I did really enjoy the episode but there is too much Clara and I want to know the doctor better and I know the date thing was a plot device but I hope they don't keep doing that.

Well I thought this episode gave us more of what the Doctor was about than any of the previous episodes.

He was scholarly, scared, inspiring, funny, parental and very sarccy.

Brilliant
  • Options
    grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eggshell wrote: »
    Well I thought this episode gave us more of what the Doctor was about than any of the previous episodes.

He was scholarly, scared, inspiring, funny, parental and very sarccy.

Brilliant

I did like that but I just feel they are constantly making Clara the hero.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    F1etch wrote: »
    All of that wS explained. Probably another kid in the home who seen Clara and rupert under the bed and heard their chat who was playing tricks on them.

It wasn't explained. It could have been another child messing around....
    ...or it could have been some unseen and eternal entity which lurks in the shadows everywhere.

We don't know. And that in itself is what makes the idea so terrifying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Well, that was a really crap episode. Pathetic. What is Moffat thinking?

JOKES! I've got to say, that was a piece of genius, incredibly spooky and just, stunning. I must admit it made me a little confused with the going-ons (at times), but that probably just added to the fear. This was better than last weeks episode by a long mile.

9/10 here.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    As I said I earlier I did really enjoy the episode but there is too much Clara and I want to know the doctor better and I know the date thing was a plot device but I hope they don't keep doing that.

Moffat has been criticised for not fleshing Clara's character out the way they
    did with Amy or River Song, so I like the emphasis on Clara's character and
    hope they continue it.
  • Options
    ChelseaEllieChelseaEllie Posts: 16,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was glad Clara was more the focus as I can't warm to this doctor, not sure why, he just doesn't seem like the doctor too me, maybe it's cos I'm a new fan, only watched since the American reboot mini film thing
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Loved it. Up there with Blink.
    I'm confuse, what was hiding in the bed sheet?

A Hobbit. Kiran Shah who played "The Figure" was the scale double for Frodo and Bilbo in the Lord of the Rings films.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    It's a conspiracy! ;-) I'm not allowed to vote Excellent!

Baaaa

It doesn't matter anyway because everyone only ever votes excellent because it's Doctor Who.
    That fact that this was a fantastic piece of psychological drama won't enter into the equation at all.

Silly sheeple.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

Yep. I'm sure his picture was in the background.

I'll have to check it out next week.....
  • Options
    bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Due to the sheer not 'getting it' from this episode it just makes me realise that this is the worst opening four episodes of the show in terms of enjoyment for me since it came back in 2005.

I thought it would have to take something to beat S2, but S8 is getting there for me. But what bothers me the most is that I'm a big fan of Moffat episodes too but since Time of the Doctor, I just feel like something's missing from them.

Yes, it is only two episodes from him, but to me Deep Breath was atrocious and Listen was only slightly better. The two in between left me cold too...It doesn't feel the same. The tonal change for S8 is becoming a real big problem for me. It doesn't feel like Doctor Who anymore. I do feel like my interest is waning in the show.

I want to like this era of the show, just as I want to like Peter as the Doctor but something just isn't happening for me. I'm really not enjoying it....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The companion overshadowing The Doctor has been a common complaint since 2005.

Rose being inside the time vortex.
    Rose's "death" in S2.
    Martha saves the world by spreading the word in S3
    Series 4 is pretty much an amalgamation of everyone in the RTD era.
    Series 5 is the whole girl who waited/rory the roman.
    Series 6 starts as a Doctor story but turns into the River and Amy show.
    Series 7 is the Clara show. And 8 so far is too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did anyone think the "shape" in the bedsheets was a homage to "Whistle and I'll
    come to you" (the M. R. James story famously dramatised in the 1960s? ).
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    we do need our poll and the thread to be pinned!

Have you asked the Mods for a Poll?
  • Options
    BlocFFCBlocFFC Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic.

I have enjoyed pretty much every Moffat episode but that is one of his finest. Capaldi made it come to life, his best performance to date as 12.

It just had so many layers - emotionally and psychologically.

I loved the scene harking back to the Doctor as a child and the Toy Soldier motif was an absolute triumph.

One of the finest episodes of Doctor Who. 10/10.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone think the "shape" in the bedsheets was a homage to "Whistle and I'll
    come to you" (the M. R. James story famously dramatised in the 1960s? ).

It did remind me of this. In fact the whole thing felt very old style ghost story.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Have you asked the Mods for a Poll?

I asked them to pin it maybe a few of us should ask again for pinning and for the poll!

Ive now asked again for both!
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    I did like that but I just feel they are constantly making Clara the hero.

Haven't they always made the companion the hero though? That's pretty much their point.

Anyway count me as another who loved the episode, though I found it quite unsettling.

This is working out to be a very good series.

*Fortifying self for the arrival of the haters *
  • Options
    F1etchF1etch Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't explained. It could have been another child messing around....
    ...or it could have been some unseen and eternal entity which lurks in the shadows everywhere.

We don't know. And that in itself is what makes the idea so terrifying.

Yeah! Probably! :)
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Initial reaction.....WOAH. (How articulate)

Will watch again imminently with better sound and no company to distract me. :p But that was quite something. Am actually rather proud that Who can deliver material like this at half 7 on a Saturday night. Banged on about 'light and shade' before on this forum, but the fact we can go from a jolly Season 16-ish story to THAT is why I love the programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It did remind me of this. In fact the whole thing felt very old style ghost story.

For a science fiction show, "Doctor Who" owes quite a lot to gothic horror and
    ghost stories (Obviously the Hinchcliffe/Holmes era comes to mind, but
    also "The Daemons", "The Awakening",
    "The Curse of Fenric", "Blink", "Midnight" "The God Complex", etc.)
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bbll22 wrote: »
    Due to the sheer not 'getting it' from this episode it just makes me realise that this is the worst opening four episodes of the show in terms of enjoyment for me since it came back in 2005.

I thought it would have to take something to beat S2, but S8 is getting there for me. But what bothers me the most is that I'm a big fan of Moffat episodes too but since Time of the Doctor, I just feel like something's missing from them.

Yes, it is only two episodes from him, but to me Deep Breath was atrocious and Listen was only slightly better. The two in between left me cold too...It doesn't feel the same. The tonal change for S8 is becoming a real big problem for me. It doesn't feel like Doctor Who anymore. I do feel like my interest is waning in the show.

I want to like this era of the show, just as I want to like Peter as the Doctor but something just isn't happening for me. I'm really not enjoying it....

Wow! That's exactly how I felt about series 5!

So I do sympathise. Luckily, DW changes all the time. I quite liked most of series 7. And series 8 so far is what I watch DW for. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbll22 wrote: »

Agreed but for me it's been since the end of S6. He used to seamlessly blend comedy, drama, action, character in his episodes but since The Wedding of River Song there hasn't been any story it's just been a series of events that the characters do.

Look at this episode for example. You have the characters, the tension but no plot. Capaldi walking around sets asking the same rhetorical "creepy" questions Moffat always blurts out doesn't count as plot.
  • Options
    grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peach45 wrote: »
    Haven't they always made the companion the hero though? That's pretty much their point.

Anyway count me as another who loved the episode, though I found it quite unsettling.

This is working out to be a very good series.

*FoRtifying self for the arrival of the haters *
    The companion is often the hero but I feel with Clara and 12, 12 is doing very little and Clara is doing most of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look at this episode for example. You have the characters, the tension but no plot. Capaldi walking around sets asking the same rhetorical "creepy" questions Moffat always blurts out doesn't count as plot.

There was a lot of ambiguity, but there was definitely a plot. Just because it wasn't traditional doesn't mean there was no plot.