Options

Sky News and Charlie Hebdo - pathetic lack of solidarity

2»

Comments

• Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody wants the entirety of Birmingham turning up on their doorstep with muslamic rayguns.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geoff_Mack wrote: »
    It would appear so.

One must conclude, given the material that Sky News DOES air that they are doing so from fear of reprisals.

That goes entirely against the grain of freedom of speech and the press.

No it doesn't. You can support free speech and Charlie Hebdo's right to publish whatever they want, but that doesn't mean Sky have to show it themselves.
  • Options
    epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the cynics among you, a reason for Sky News policy!:

http://order-order.com/2015/01/15/wake-up-and-smell-the-strong-arabica-coffee/
  • Options
    F&EF&E Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    What any news organisation needs to remember is that the majority of Muslim viewers are going to be at least disappointed, if not outright offended by seeing a pictorial depiction of the Prophet Mohammed. It is one of the conventions of Islam that it just isn't done.

In the same way that broadcasters choose not to show extreme gore like the moment of someone's beheading, or even use the 'C word' for fear of offending viewers, so a broadcaster may decide to extend that courtesy to other matters that might give offence to a section of its audience.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F&E wrote: »
    What any news organisation needs to remember is that the majority of Muslim viewers are going to be at least disappointed, if not outright offended by seeing a pictorial depiction of the Prophet Mohammed. It is one of the conventions of Islam that it just isn't done.

In the same way that broadcasters choose not to show extreme gore like the moment of someone's beheading, or even use the 'C word' for fear of offending viewers, so a broadcaster may decide to extend that courtesy to other matters that might give offence to a section of its audience.

The problem is that there are lots of things that offend different people but you cannot please them all - I am feel very offended every time I see Tony Bliar but I doubt whether they will cut those scenes.
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Sky News has gone down in my estimation regarding this.

It's their editorial decision not to show it. That's their right.

I also have the editorial right as a viewer to change over to BBC News. Which is what I'm going to do for the time being.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's rather depressing that France's response to this terrorist attack was to arrest a few dozen people for "hate speech". Thus, the Islamic extremists get what they want: censorship to prevent dissent.
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »

I think I'm going to write a book entitled "The Joy of Bacon" and send a copy to every mosque ;)
  • Options
    F&EF&E Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I think I'm going to write a book entitled "The Joy of Bacon" and send a copy to every mosque ;)
    Years ago, I was crew on a Jewish 'Songs of Praise'. Imagine my surprise when the unit purveyor of bacon sandwiches popped out a kippah and was interviewed on camera about his faith!
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    epsom wrote: »

Commercial considerations would never affect how an advertiser funded (or partly funded) station would choose what to broadcast.

You just have to look at the consumer advice programmes on ITV to know that would never happen

/just about manages to keep a straight face..
  • Options
    ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epsom wrote: »

Do I like this post ?, yes I do

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    No it doesn't. You can support free speech and Charlie Hebdo's right to publish whatever they want, but that doesn't mean Sky have to show it themselves.

Did you deliberately choose to ignore the middle sentence in that post to suit your own opinion?

I would have to assume you did.
  • Options
    colly_tygcolly_tyg Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three words:

Sky News Arabia

Wouldn't want to lose their Middle East TV channel overnight after so much investment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    colly_tyg wrote: »
    Three words:

Sky News Arabia

Wouldn't want to lose their Middle East TV channel overnight after so much investment.

Maybe there should be a campaign for people to get copies of the magazine aired by standing behind their reporters doing a live piece to camera in various outside broadcasts.

That'll fettle 'em!
  • Options
    SideshowMarkSideshowMark Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    colly_tyg wrote: »
    Three words:

Sky News Arabia

Not even that, Sky News has a much larger Worldwide viewership than the BBC News channel which is only broadcast in the UK. The separate BBC World channel as far as I can tell chose not to show it, it also does not appear on the BBC News website outside the UK. (as I am outside the UK I can't tell if it appeared on the UK version).

Other organizations that have chosen not to show it include NBC, CNN, and the New York Times, I doubt in any instance the the decision was taken lightly.
  • Options
    colly_tygcolly_tyg Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not even that, Sky News has a much larger Worldwide viewership than the BBC News channel which is only broadcast in the UK. The separate BBC World channel as far as I can tell chose not to show it, it also does not appear on the BBC News website outside the UK. (as I am outside the UK I can't tell if it appeared on the UK version).

Other organizations that have chosen not to show it include NBC, CNN, and the New York Times, I doubt in any instance the the decision was taken lightly.

The difference being that Sky News is a commercial operation and the BBC can not so easily be shut down because they aren't in partnership with a foreign Arab broadcaster to air their channel.
  • Options
    BBChaterBBChater Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    In other words Sky is refusing to take part in the outpouring of secularist bigotry.

Good for them.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    BBChater wrote: »
    In other words Sky is refusing to take part in the outpouring of secularist bigotry.

Good for them.

Whatever side the coin lands on. Aye BBChater?:D
  • Options
    BBChaterBBChater Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Whatever side the coin lands on. Aye BBChater?:D

What does that mean?
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see that Sky are not taking part in the BBC Muslim hate fest. Presumably the fest was laid down by the BBC boss D. Cameron. The British ruling establishment using religion as a weapon as usual.

Do you lot always take your opinions straight off the telly? Sensible I suppose, hoping the authorities see you collaborating.
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    Good to see that Sky are not taking part in the BBC Muslim hate fest. Presumably the fest was laid down by the BBC boss D. Cameron. The British ruling establishment using religion as a weapon as usual.

Do you lot always take your opinions straight off the telly? Sensible I suppose, hoping the authorities see you collaborating.
    BBC Muslim hate fest? Have you taken leave of your senses???