Options

"Dippy" Diplodocus Being Removed from London Natural History Museum Central Hall

Comments

• Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I think for a lot of people, it's a huge cultural icon of the city. The Central Hall is as good as a city landmark - and with 'Dippy' being there for so long now, it became the centrepiece of both that landmark and the museum itself.

The whale looks impressive, I cannot deny that. But I do wonder if perhaps it is the Mammal Hall where the whale is already displayed that needs an overhaul. The giant Blue Whale replica is looking a bit worn now, and the room itself is a bit hectic to get around. Rather than having two parts of the museum with whales at the centre, why not work to improve the Mammal Hall instead?

For me, it's bizarre how squashed in the dinosaur segment of the museum actually is. The Earth section has its own hall (with the giant globe and escalator through the middle), the Mammals have their own hall, and the dinosaurs are all held in what feels like the smallest space. It's so strange for a building that is so incredibly important to the history of dinosaurs - it was in those walls that the word 'dinosaur' was coined in the 1820's, and where many species were identified and showcased for the first time from around the world.

Even as a replica, it seemed fitting that dinosaurs had a pride of place in the museum, sharing that Central Hall with other animals from before and after their time on the planet. It worked so well.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Jurassic World coming out this summer, they should be anticipating a jump in dino interest. :cool:
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every time I've been there it's been full of children running around, screaming and fighting each other without a care for anything exhibited. They might as well hava a coprolite on a plinth or one of their hideous 19th century taxidermy fails.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is true that the actual whale (model?) in the NHM is great, but it is outdone by the diplodocus cast, which is an all time great memory. Every child who went will remember that with great affection.

But many people here are I think confusing the whale with what they are going to put instead of the diplodocus, which is only the whale skeleton - I couldn't see the point of that when I went, it's just bones.

They are making a terrible mistake, and robbing children of an experience. No doubt that is the intention, after all, knowledge and interest in science and nature is the last thing wanted by religious adherents.
  • Options
    LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Stupid idea. It's the best entrance to a museum for a child and many adults.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to see this from my seven year old self's point of view, mad on dinosaurs, not giving two hoots about whales *the skeletons of which don't really portray the actual animal as well as a model with flesh*.

I know what I remember from my lone visit to the museum, and the mammals of today, endangered or not, came a distant last to the dinosaurs.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Every time I've been there it's been full of children running around, screaming and fighting each other without a care for anything exhibited. They might as well hava a coprolite on a plinth or one of their hideous 19th century taxidermy fails.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine a certain demographic will be pleased it's being removed so they no longer have to put up with the 'lie' that the Earth is older than 6,000 years.
  • Options
    Ba Na NaBa Na Na Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know what I remember from my lone visit to the museum, and the mammals of today, endangered or not, came a distant last to the dinosaurs.

Same with me. I visited in 2008 or 2009 and I remember seeing the dinosaur for the first time, it was amazing!

Its going to be one hell of a task dismantling everything, recording it and putting it back together AND hanging it from the ceiling.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i always go when im down the smoke.

dinos are always best..
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bad idea. Dinosaurs capture children's imagination far more than a whale ever could.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Bad idea. Dinosaurs capture children's imagination far more than a whale ever could.

^^^ This +1...which is why Dippy should stay exactly where he is.

Petition here: https://www.change.org/p/natural-history-museum-save-dippy
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I imagine a certain demographic will be pleased it's being removed so they no longer have to put up with the 'lie' that the Earth is older than 6,000 years.

It's not being removed. It's going on a tour of UK museums, then returning to the NHM, where it will go back on display, albeit in a revamped dinosaur section.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to post this on the Palaeo thread but I have been beaten to it. :p

I know it is iconic but quite frankly a subadult Diplodocus cast is very small potatoes by sauropod dinosaur standards these days.

Rather than the Blue whale I would rather they have displayed one of the numerous super-giants that have been discovered in recent years.

So many species utterly dwarf poor old Dippy it is not even funny.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you pronounce diplodocus?

Dip-la-doe-cus
    Dip-plod-ih-cus
    I tend to opt for the second one, after hearing it pronoucned as such by Kenneth Branagh on Walking with Dinosaurs many years ago.

What's also interesting is how much the meaning of the name has been abbreviated over time. I've heard it's translation as 'double beam', though more commonly 'double folded beam' and then the extended title of 'Double Folded Bearing Beam'. That's such an awesome name for a dinosaur! :D

The problem with that is the the second "d" belongs with "ocus" to make up the "docus=beam" element rather than being tacked on to the end of "diplo=double". So my own preference would be along the lines of "Dih-pluh-duh-cus".

Mind you, I still refer to a "hell-i-cop-ter" rather than a "hell-i-coe-pter", so I'm not even consistwnt in my own pedantry!
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    It's not being removed. It's going on a tour of UK museums, then returning to the NHM, where it will go back on display, albeit in a revamped dinosaur section.

This is indeed true but it's also very true to say that it's being removed from its very prominent position, i.e. it's being downgraded. In this era of vocal evolution-denialists, I think it's an unfortunate step to take.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is indeed true but it's also very true to say that it's being removed from its very prominent position, i.e. it's being downgraded. In this era of vocal evolution-denialists, I think it's an unfortunate step to take.

Nah - it's a tiddler by sauropod standards! :D
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say I'm overly bothered by this, my kids prefer the Science Museum and the V&A to the NHM anyways. However, the prospect of a revamped NHM that my kids might enjoy more is quite exciting to me.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Save Dippy and leave Sushi bones where it is.

Kids like Dinos,
  • Options
    ThatGuy11200ThatGuy11200 Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think for a lot of people, it's a huge cultural icon of the city. The Central Hall is as good as a city landmark - and with 'Dippy' being there for so long now, it became the centrepiece of both that landmark and the museum itself.

The whale looks impressive, I cannot deny that. But I do wonder if perhaps it is the Mammal Hall where the whale is already displayed that needs an overhaul. The giant Blue Whale replica is looking a bit worn now, and the room itself is a bit hectic to get around. Rather than having two parts of the museum with whales at the centre, why not work to improve the Mammal Hall instead?

For me, it's bizarre how squashed in the dinosaur segment of the museum actually is. The Earth section has its own hall (with the giant globe and escalator through the middle), the Mammals have their own hall, and the dinosaurs are all held in what feels like the smallest space. It's so strange for a building that is so incredibly important to the history of dinosaurs - it was in those walls that the word 'dinosaur' was coined in the 1820's, and where many species were identified and showcased for the first time from around the world.

Even as a replica, it seemed fitting that dinosaurs had a pride of place in the museum, sharing that Central Hall with other animals from before and after their time on the planet. It worked so well.

The Earth section hall now has a Stegosaurus.

And the museum wasn't built until the 1880s.
    LykkieLi wrote: »
    Stupid idea. It's the best entrance to a museum for a child and many adults.

I think most people come in the side entrance now, and the main hall is usually used as an exit for most of the day.
    I was going to post this on the Palaeo thread but I have been beaten to it. :p

I know it is iconic but quite frankly a subadult Diplodocus cast is very small potatoes by sauropod dinosaur standards these days.

Rather than the Blue whale I would rather they have displayed one of the numerous super-giants that have been discovered in recent years.

So many species utterly dwarf poor old Dippy it is not even funny.

The main hall is already packed with people for most of the day. To put something even bigger, on the ground, in that space would make it all but impossible to get around.

Actually, the evolution of whales annoys the creationists a lot more than dinosaurs do.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I think it's a shame, children love dinosaurs and seeing Dippy as you walk is something everyone remembers. Whilst the Blue Whale is great it doesn't have the same sort of impact as Dippy.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    The Earth section hall now has a Stegosaurus.

And the museum wasn't built until the 1880s.

I think most people come in the side entrance now, and the main hall is usually used as an exit for most of the day.

The main hall is already packed with people for most of the day. To put something even bigger, on the ground, in that space would make it all but impossible to get around.

Actually, the evolution of whales annoys the creationists a lot more than dinosaurs do.

Agreed. If Dippy is going on tour, it would mean even more people can see him... and there will be a replica outside, enticing people into the museum.

It is time for a revamp and to free up floorspace as well - and let visitors see a more dynamic representation of the whale skeleton. I went to the NHM for the first time as a child some 50 years ago and it was the blue whale I remember more than anything, because it actually still existed... and that kick started my interest in biology. Dinosaurs are cool of course, but kids might actually get a chance to see a real whale!
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dippy should stay! (of course)

In terms of engaging children in natural history, I have to say I think that a dino skeleton (albeit a replica one) outweighs a whale skeleton (and I used to work in a museum).

I'm quite torn between it, but I think I'm starting to sway towards keeping Dippy, as I remember the excitement with dinosaurs when I was a little boy and also the same with my 5 year old son.

We do all enjoy the whole of the museum, but the dinosaurs are the most exciting thing for my children (and even me still :) ).

Even though we have been around 10 times since birth he still loves it.

I think the whale will soon loose it's appeal after a couple of times.

You don't want it too cluttered to spoil the amazing architecture, but surly they could display the whale further down in the main hall (starting above the stairs)?

I'm starting to think that this all may be a publicity stunt, as I can't believe that they are even considering it.
  • Options
    ThatGuy11200ThatGuy11200 Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite torn between it, but I think I'm starting to sway towards keeping Dippy, as I remember the excitement with dinosaurs when I was a little boy and also the same with my 5 year old son.

We do all enjoy the whole of the museum, but the dinosaurs are the most exciting thing for my children (and even me still :) ).

Even though we have been around 10 times since birth he still loves it.

I think the whale will soon loose it's appeal after a couple of times.

You don't want it too cluttered to spoil the amazing architecture, but surly they could display the whale further down in the main hall (starting above the stairs)?

I'm starting to think that this all may be a publicity stunt, as I can't believe that they are even considering it.

I first heard about it about six months ago, from one of the senior curators. It isn't a publicity stunt.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A blue whale isn't history. It's still with us.