Working 20 hours minimum wage - need tips to save money

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
Forum Member
✭✭
So I'm about to move into my own little council flat. I'm also about to start a job that will pay me £130 a week (20 hours x £6.50). The rent is £55 which would leave me with £75 a week and then it's another £15 a week for gas/electricity, leaving £60, TV license is £6 a week which would leave me with £54 and then broadband is probably about a fiver a week as well leaving £49 and then my mobile phone bill is about £6 a week which leaves £43.

Is this enough for food and other expenses? I think it seems scary. :( Obviously it seems there isn't enough for any sort of luxuries (I've got into a routine of taking a cousin for a day out on a Saturday, I like a takeaway and a piss-up with my mates at the weekends) but will this be enough for everything else?

I'm also doing 4 hours at college a week so I needed to find a job that would fit round college/studying hours. I'm now thinking of packing in college and just try work full time so I have some sort of better quality lifestyle at home?

Any advice/money saving tips would be appreciated.

Comments

• Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you think because you have little money you can`t have a day with your cousin anymore? Stay in, watch a film, play a game, take him to the park etc.

If it helps The Sun is giving away £9.50 holidays.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    As long as you have enough for the rent, food, warmth and other necessities then the drinking and takeaways are not important

£43 is enough to live on, Buy cheap food that won't go off and spend less on things you don't need but just like to do
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    Why do you think because you have little money you can`t have a day with your cousin anymore? Stay in, watch a film, play a game, take him to the park etc.

They're not giving them away and they also aren't £9.50.
  • newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aren't you entitled to any benefits?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're not giving them away and they also aren't £9.50.

Awh, you just ruined his happiness. Bet he was well looking forward to a holiday with his cuz.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first step to saving money is to work out where it is all going. Get a notebook and write down every single penny you spend over the course of a month. At the end, I guarantee that you will be amazed by how much money you are spending on some things that are easy to cut out.

Buy a coffee on the way into work each day and that can easily add up to £60 a month. That's £720 a year! Before tax that's almost £1000 worth of earnings.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    The first step to saving money is to work out where it is all going. Get a notebook and write down every single penny you spend over the course of a month. At the end, I guarantee that you will be amazed by how much money you are spending on some things that are easy to cut out.

Buy a coffee on the way into work each day and that can easily add up to £60 a month. That's £720 a year! Before tax that's almost £1000 worth of earnings.

The OP won't be paying any tax or even N.I.

But I agree with your point.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aren't you entitled to any benefits?

I don't think so. I guess I could apply for Housing Benefit but if I'm already working and can afford the rent regardless, they probably wouldn't give me any help.

Well it's bus fare to and collect him and it's usually a Pizza Hut or cinema, I'm not sure there's much fun to be had sitting in a pokey flat with no Sky and barely any food with electricty/gas having to be kept to a minumum. :p
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read the following website, then go back and read it again. Then download the budgeting spreadsheet, it pretty comprehensive with over 100 categories of spending which will give you a pretty good idea of where you are spending the money.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/Budget-planning

Couple of quick things, consider getting a flatmate if you have a spare bedroom and its allowed.

For your mobile, you are spending £25 a month on that ? You can get a monthly rolling contract for £10 a month.

Forget going out for a month or two until you can break the habit and focus on your studies.

Is there no benefits that you are entitled to ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    I don't think so. I guess I could apply for Housing Benefit but if I'm already working and can afford the rent regardless, they probably wouldn't give me any help.

Well it's bus fare to and collect him and it's usually a Pizza Hut or cinema, I'm not sure there's much fun to be had sitting in a pokey flat with no Sky and barely any food with electricty/gas having to be kept to a minumum. :p

Walk to his house? I`m sure your body would thank you for it, for all of the takeaways and drinks you have consumed.

There you go, something to do in your `I have nothing` flat. Work out!. Go jogging, meet a nice bird, get talking, invite her to be your flatmate. Tadaaaar you have money and now you can afford to give her a McDonald`s.
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    £43 a week is possible to live on, but its going to be a very very basic existence.

Learn what time your local supermarkets do the major reductions. (normally about 8ish). If your lucky you can get decent food for pennies then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    Read the following website, then go back and read it again. Then download the budgeting spreadsheet, it pretty comprehensive with over 100 categories of spending which will give you a pretty good idea of where you are spending the money.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/Budget-planning

Couple of quick things, consider getting a flatmate if you have a spare bedroom and its allowed.

For your mobile, you are spending £25 a month on that ? You can get a monthly rolling contract for £10 a month.

Forget going out for a month or two until you can break the habit and focus on your studies.

Is there no benefits that you are entitled to ?

WOW thanks for that website. :o That will be really helpful. Yes, that's how much my mobile is, but I was also going to use it as a mobile hotspot for my laptop/PS3, would that cost a fortune or am I better getting broadband?

Don't think I'm entitled to any benefits as I'm working and single. I'll do some research but I guess the only option is Housing Benefit which I've heard doesn't really apply to those working?
    Walk to his house? I`m sure your body would thank you for it, for all of the takeaways and drinks you have consumed.

There you go, something to do in your `I have nothing` flat. Work out!. Go jogging, meet a nice bird, get talking, invite her to be your flatmate. Tadaaaar you have money and now you can afford to give her a McDonald`s.

I'm not walking 7 miles. :p

And hahaha, thanks. Working out and jogging is a nice idea to keep me busy and healthy. :D
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm also doing 4 hours at college a week so I needed to find a job that would fit round college/studying hours. I'm now thinking of packing in college and just try work full time so I have some sort of better quality lifestyle at home?

I wouldn't jack in the college - presumably it is going to lead to better job opportunities? Better to tighten your belt now to get more money in the future.

As already posted have a good look around on money saving expert. Check for and claim all benefits you're entitled to.

Jack Monroe's recipes are very very cheap. If you must have a physical cook book get a student one as they tend to be cheap, quick meals for one.
  • AvinAGiraffeAvinAGiraffe Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    Is it really £312 a year for a TV licence or did I read that wrong? :o

I agree with the poster who advised the moneysavingexpert website. Also, where possible, try and get your shopping from Aldi/Lidl/Farmfoods/Poundworld. I've saved loads by doing this (and in all honesty the Lidl fruit and veg is better quality than Asda.)

Keep your eyes open for discount codes and freebie vouchers for days out with your cousin. When we were going through a bit of a tight patch money-wise and the school hols came round, we wrote a list of places we could go and put them into columns of 'free', 'cheap' and 'expensive'. Before a day out, the kids were told which list they could pick from! The free ones tended to be just going for a walk somewhere, playing football or going to a museum but it's something to do. The cheap ones normally involved going somewhere for the day and taking our own sandwiches & drinks etc (bought from cheapy shop :D). This meant that, every now and then they could pick something off the 'expensive' list!

Best advice is probably to just keep in mind that PENNIES COUNT so don't waste the small change!
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    Most minimum wage jobs come bundled with tons of overtime, so you should be fine.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Is it really £312 a year for a TV licence or did I read that wrong? :o

I agree with the poster who advised the moneysavingexpert website. Also, where possible, try and get your shopping from Aldi/Lidl/Farmfoods/Poundworld. I've saved loads by doing this (and in all honesty the Lidl fruit and veg is better quality than Asda.)

Keep your eyes open for discount codes and freebie vouchers for days out with your cousin. When we were going through a bit of a tight patch money-wise and the school hols came round, we wrote a list of places we could go and put them into columns of 'free', 'cheap' and 'expensive'. Before a day out, the kids were told which list they could pick from! The free ones tended to be just going for a walk somewhere, playing football or going to a museum but it's something to do. The cheap ones normally involved going somewhere for the day and taking our own sandwiches & drinks etc (bought from cheapy shop :D). This meant that, every now and then they could pick something off the 'expensive' list!

Best advice is probably to just keep in mind that PENNIES COUNT so don't waste the small change!

This is so true, I have a friend who pisses away money, Anything less than 5p she tell a shop to keep

Just before christmas i emptied my change jar and had £38 or close to it, She asked me how i managed that.....As if it takes a genius to work out that keeping it would be a start
  • justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've done a quick check using a benefits calculator for my area and you would get 7.36 housing benefit each week and £4.00 council tax benefit. So it definitely be worthwhile claiming. It also means that you get the single occupancy reduction of 25% on your council tax.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WOW thanks for that website. :o That will be really helpful. Yes, that's how much my mobile is, but I was also going to use it as a mobile hotspot for my laptop/PS3, would that cost a fortune or am I better getting broadband?
    IF you mobile contract allow tethering it will most likely cost more and be slower than broadband. Cheapest deal inc line rental I could find £218 a year paid monthly or £162 a year if you can pay it all up front. That includes free weekend calls on your landline.
    I'm not walking 7 miles. :p

And hahaha, thanks. Working out and jogging is a nice idea to keep me busy and healthy. :D

I used to cycle 18 miles EACH WAY to uni, come rain, sun, wind, snow, whatever the conditions, took me around 50 to 55 minutes. Just got a pair of waterproof trousers and jacket. Excellent way to keep fit at well. 2nd hand bike can be picked up for £20 or £30.
  • Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    Out of that £43 have you accounted for transport? Like getting to work? I didn't see you mention a car, so is your workplace within walking distance? Do you walk everywhere? I'm assuming you're a non smoker too, as you didn't mention the cost of ciggies...? Apologies for being blunt, but you must include these kind of things.

So if there really is no other costs and you do have £43 spare, then that leaves £6 a day for food, which can just about be done if you really scrimp it, but not sure how healthy your diet will be on that kind of budget, as junk food in the supermarkets is cheap and fresh meat and fish are expensive.

Now if you spend this whole £6 a day all on food, then what else is left? You won't be able to afford anything extra, at all, ever. What about clothes? Things you night need for the house? Toiletries? You won't be able to afford any kind of entertainment at all, and won't even be able to buy a coffee, or a take away.

Is there any reason why you can't work full time? If not, this the obvious solution - you'll double your weekly income, meaning you can actually have a life and stop worrying.

If it's not possible right now, the only tip is that you must live like every penny is your last - it's not going to be easy, at all.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't have to spend £6 /day on food, that's ridiculous. You should be able to eat healthy, non processed food for less than half of that.
    Aldis and lidls are good places to shop. Icelands sell things like frozen vegetables for less than £1, even more expensive supermarkets like Sainsburys have some good bargains (eg, yesterday I bought a whole pineapple for 85p, my kids loved it). If you google budget meals for 1 you should get some good ideas.
    I didn't notice council tax on your list of bills, don't forget to budget for it because it can be quite expensive !
  • Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    You don't have to spend £6 /day on food, that's ridiculous. You should be able to eat healthy, non processed food for less than half of that.
    Aldis and lidls are good places to shop. Icelands sell things like frozen vegetables for less than £1, even more expensive supermarkets like Sainsburys have some good bargains (eg, yesterday I bought a whole pineapple for 85p, my kids loved it). If you google budget meals for 1 you should get some good ideas.
    I didn't notice council tax on your list of bills, don't forget to budget for it because it can be quite expensive !

Each to their own. £6 a day for food would depress me. That just about covers two of my chicken breast (£4.50 a pack) and salad/rice meals. That's just two out of my five meals per day on a 1,800 - 2000 calorie meal plan to accompany my gym sessions. My average food bill works at around £12 per day. I can easily smash another tenner in the local co-op on an evening of treats if I'm having a 'cheat day', along with another £20 on a dominoes order. So one of these types of days costs £40 which is the entire weekly budget for the OP :o
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I really recommended aldi. I spend less than £40 a week on food and I'm eating better now than I used to when I shopped at tesco.
  • lee_sharplee_sharp Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Live off the land....snare a few rabbits, look for fresh roadkill......go scrumping etc.....Live like Hugh Fernley-Whittingthing.....
  • ZentonZenton Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A laptop, broadband connection and Playstation 3 are luxuries you could leave without until you find a full time job. You can use your local libraries computers for free.

Why not get a girlfriend or partner to share the costs of living? There's lots of lonely older women out there. On Crimewatch one widow spent £150,000 on a man who didn't even exist.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    Each to their own. £6 a day for food would depress me. That just about covers two of my chicken breast (£4.50 a pack) and salad/rice meals. That's just two out of my five meals per day on a 1,800 - 2000 calorie meal plan to accompany my gym sessions. My average food bill works at around £12 per day. I can easily smash another tenner in the local co-op on an evening of treats if I'm having a 'cheat day', along with another £20 on a dominoes order. So one of these types of days costs £40 which is the entire weekly budget for the OP :o

£12 a day for food sounds a lot for a single person. I probably spend half of that and I could probably do it cheaper as I do end up throwing a lot of waste out (something I'm trying to reduce)

You can buy whole chickens for less than £4.50 (Waitrose do 3 for a tenner). Each comes with two breasts plus plenty of other meat you can use for other meals (curries are better with thigh/leg meat anyway). You can get 2 or 3 meals out of a small pack of mince if you make it into a pie or chilli.