Options

Toothache remedy help please

MelodybearMelodybear Posts: 10,835
Forum Member
✭✭
I hope this is the right place to ask. I have a throbbing toothache ( back bottom tooth ) which hurts like hell, and worse when any pressure is put on it or if I tap it so it could be an abcess. I have put oil of clove on it earlier which didn't help and have tried nurofen, again it doesn'r help. I'll try to go to the dentist tomorrow, but any ideas to soothe the pain in the meantime would be gratefully received :(
Thank you

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best over the counter pain killer I have found is Paramol. It is paracetamol and di-hydracodeine (sp?) and it is very strong. It may tide you over till you can get to the dentist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but nothing will reduce the pain untill you receive dental attention. And don't 'try' to see your dentist, make it happen, or your weekend will be hell.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clove oil from Boots. They also do this weird clear liquid which you dab on the affected tooth which kinda seals it so the nerve isn't exposed. But yeah see a dentist, i was glad i did.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a pair of pliers and a bottle of vodka
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See your dentist ASAP.

For a very very temporary measure go to a chemist and get the following , but should really only be used in the very short term :

Solpadeine Soluble ( make sure you get the soluble and not the tablets ) take two every 6 hours maximum 8 tablets in 24 hours.

Nurofen Plus , take two about two hours after taking the Solpadene , maximum 6 tablets in 24 hours.

Clove Oil , dabbed onto cotton wool , or on a piece of well folded loo roll which is placed next to or over the top of the throbbing tooth.

Bonjela, I know its for gums but this when rubbed on the gum around the aching tooth will give a little relief until the others kick in.

Remember dont take any of the above if allergic, and dont take other products with Paracetamol or Ibuprofen or Asprin if you do decide to use the Solpadeine and the Nurofen Plus as Solpedeine contains Paracetemol and Nurofen contains Inbuprofen.

I used this method once on advioce froma medical person and it sorted me out untill I could get to a dentist .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    Aswell as using medication put a hot waterbottle on your cheek where it hurts may ease a little but you need to see your dentist a.s.a.p who will give you antibiotics if it is an abcess which it sounds like.He will also ease the pressure by removing some of the "gunk".Good luck sorry couldn't help more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you all very much for your suggestions. I can feel a throbbing in the tooth. I will insist on a dentist appointment tomorrow. In the meantime I will go and fill a water bottle and dig out some painkillers. Thank you again.
  • Options
    iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had this just before Christmas, i thought i was gonna die.

I just took mouthwash and swished it around my mouth for awhile. I also massaged the gum where the tooth was at with 2 fingers. It puts pressure on it and makes it kinda ok. I also just lied in my bed and tried to stay calm cos when i was crying and being hysterical it made it worse. You basically just need to wait for it to go. I feel so sorry for you.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Groundsel the weed found in most gardens gets rid of toothache.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, clove oil is fantastic at relieving tooth pain, BUT it tastes disguting, and don't get any anywhere sensitive (open cut, up your nose, etc - boy does it STING)
    I don't think it stops the pain - I think the damn stuff frightens it away :D

If the tooth has a hole in it - shoving salt, or toothpaste in the hole is also a good temporary measure.
  • Options
    broonalebroonale Posts: 5,472
    Forum Member
    Saline solution, which is basically tepid salt water. It should help for a while and is drug free of course. It worked for me.
  • Options
    LilaLila Posts: 6,780
    Forum Member
    I had an abscess the week before Christmas. It developed on the Friday after having done the Thursday, but they were all out on their Christmas lunch from midday on the Friday!! Rang on Saturday to see if they had finally put their emegency number on and someone answered it and I got seen by another dentist who was useless and didn't bother to see where it was stemming from and he gave me penicillin. Died all day Sunday - Paramol had no effect. Went in first thing Monday morning with a face like Leslie Ash and had it lanced. Absolute f***ing agony as it was done but the relief was immense. So you have my sympathy!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    The last time I had toothache I bought a product called Orajel from the chemist which helped a lot. You dab a tiny amount of the gel on the sore tooth, which will deaden the pain for a few hours.

Your mouth will feel numb as the gel has benzocaine in it, so use it very sparingly as it is a very strong drug. It will at least stop the pain for a bit before you go to the dentist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cuprofen and a hot water bottle against your cheek....Cuprofen is the best painkiller ive come across over the counter...takes about 20 minutes to get going but its really good stuff!!
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    If the tooth has a hole in it - shoving salt, or toothpaste in the hole is also a good temporary measure.
    A piece of chewing gum is also good - preferably the sugar free kind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    Ice Cream followed by a nice, piping hot cup of Coffee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iiHEARTy0u wrote:
    I had this just before Christmas, i thought i was gonna die.

I just took mouthwash and swished it around my mouth for awhile. I also massaged the gum where the tooth was at with 2 fingers. It puts pressure on it and makes it kinda ok. I also just lied in my bed and tried to stay calm cos when i was crying and being hysterical it made it worse. You basically just need to wait for it to go. I feel so sorry for you.

thank you very much II HEARTy0u and everyone else. Its calmed down a bit. Am sitting with my mouth hanging open to relieve the pressure. You are all so understanding, I don't feel so alone and sorry for myself :(:cry:
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swill some vodka too, that's supposed to help