Options

Tiscali Box crashes daily

Hello

I have a Tiscali + box which i got last november and was working great until recently.

In the last few weeks it seems to crash almost daily. I think out of the last 6 things i watched on demand, only 2 played the whole way through. All the others the box shut off so had to turn it back on and fast forward all he way to where it cut off (very annoying).

Also happens when watching a regular show or anything i have previously recorded.

I know i am not the close to the exchange and the speed isn't great but it only has been happening recently.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Paper DollPaper Doll Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My box and quite a few other have been crashing, perticularly when playing back recorded programmes (the screen just goes black). Sometimes it does it twice per programme.

If it keeps happening they might change the box but I don't think it will work if it's something to do with the software. It could also be a hardware fault particular to the box.

Personally I think it's something to do with the new EPG as it didn't happen to me before that
  • Options
    parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not been happening to my box. I think you should phone CS, have them do some remote testing? and if necessary get an engineer in - they were very quick when my box's fan became very loud a couple of months ago.

parthena
  • Options
    ns.macdns.macd Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine has also started crashing and having problems recently.

Whenever I turn the box on it will count down to 3, then will report 'No connection - check phone line etc' and then wait for a minute before resuming the countdown 2-1.

Once it is up & running and we are watching a show it will regularly go to a black screen and the green light will go off for approx 1 minute, and then the 4 green chaser lights will come on before we can turn the box on again.

(For some reason it usually happens during the weakest link - I blame Anne Robinson! :D)

There was a recent thread on this issue before, which one of the MK's was looking into, but this seems to have disappeared now
  • Options
    iabw12iabw12 Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Strangely enough, it's happening with me too! I can't seem to pin it down to anything specific (sorry I can't blame Anne Robinson much as I'd like to:D) It seems to happen out of the blue when I'm watching something I've recorded on the STB - I agree it's very annoying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people have been saying the same on the Tiscali forum, it's a general problem which Tiscali know about and I hope they are addressing.
  • Options
    ethelethel Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    iabw12 wrote: »
    Strangely enough, it's happening with me too! I can't seem to pin it down to anything specific (sorry I can't blame Anne Robinson much as I'd like to:D) It seems to happen out of the blue when I'm watching something I've recorded on the STB - I agree it's very annoying.

Oddly enough it happened to me for the first time in ages last night whilst watching something recorded from the DSL feed a couple of days before (Discovery Channel IIRC).

Wonder if it's some sort of rogue data at the head end affecting the whole network as it's interesting that mine's done it at roughly the same time as others'..?

Was The Weakest Link being delivered by phone line or over the air?

(I'm no expert mind, just surmising idly..) :D

Regards,

Dave.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    This has been happening to me lately too, and it's becoming very annoying. It seems to happen at roughly the same time too, between 6:00 and 7:00, or when watching recordings. It's crashed every night this week, and twice on some nights.

I don't know if it's a coincidence it happens at this time because I always do the same, get home from work, stick Eggheads on and then my other half watches SCD It Takes Two and it will crash during one of these shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they know what's causing it but are keeping quiet which isn't a good sign.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    well i guess if it something that is happening to a lot of people we can only hope they find a solution soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I think it's maybe happening on DSL channels, my BBCs are dodgy and tend to switch between DSL and DTT a lot, and I think the crashes happen when it's DSL. I'm not 100% on this though.

I've been having a quite a few probs recently actually, I've posted a nice big thread about it a few minutes ago! I thought maybe my box was dying but I've noticed a lot of people seem to be having the crash problem.
  • Options
    ZapomaticZapomatic Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been having occasional crashes lately too. Until recently my box has been very stable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Hi,

This is not a generalised isssue we are aware of and are addressing? If you are experiencing issues you should really be voicing this to a technical support agent - by all means PM me numbers and I'll take a look, but if you do require urgent timely support then do phone in, thanks

Kind Regards

Chris