40% of Orange & T-Mobile customers upgrading to EE 4G

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Up to 40% of Orange and T-Mobile customers are upgrading to EE 4G network. Plus 1 in 4 new customers are opting for EE 4G.

Looks like high prices and poor tarrifs arent putting punters off!

Swantee said the decision to start doubling 4G speeds was always planned. He said one in four new customers are choosing its 4G service, with as much as 40% of Orange and T-Mobile customers opting for 4G when they upgrade. More propositions, products and services will be offered by EE in the next few months, as it faces competition from its rivals.

[url] http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/25002/4G_handsets_set_to_get_cheaper_as_speeds_rise.aspx[/url]

Comments

• enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Up to 40% of Orange and T-Mobile customers are upgrading to EE 4G network. Plus 1 in 4 new customers are opting for EE 4G.

Swantee said the decision to start doubling 4G speeds was always planned. He said one in four new customers are choosing its 4G service, with as much as 40% of Orange and T-Mobile customers opting for 4G when they upgrade. More propositions, products and services will be offered by EE in the next few months, as it faces competition from its rivals.

[url] http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/25002/4G_handsets_set_to_get_cheaper_as_speeds_rise.aspx[/url]

I can certainly understand why they are doing it as it looks brilliant to be on a 4G network. Honestly though I expect only a minority of those 40% are getting 4G signal.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member

People have gone insane then! Most people would be better with 3's very good DC-HSPDA speeds (with free 4G to come later!) at no extra cost!
  • lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    People have gone insane then! Most people would be better with 3's very good DC-HSPDA speeds (with free 4G to come later!) at no extra cost!

Indeed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »

Very true unless they live in a rural area's and then they probably better to wait till Three start deploying 4G on 800MHZ so they got a better chance of getting good solid coverage as the 3G in some places is spotty still. But anyone living in a city area Three is probably best network for them unless they need 4G straight away.
  • JFCJFC Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it is not obviously not due to their customer services, you should see EEs Facebook page. Their current customer base are having a major meltdown at them.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    They do have the most customers.. so the page is going to be busy.

I wouldn't hold your breath over Three on 800 anytime soon.. and some people are 'insane' to sign up to a network with no 2G backup..

Starting to see far more friends, family and work mates make the shift to EE4G... although that obviously doesn't reprent the country some were hard core O2 & Voda customers! I do agree that some are waiting it out for the network they are on/used to to have it rather than switch or just waiting to see what happens mid summer. As am i with my personal account.
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do have the most customers.. so the page is going to be busy.

I wouldn't hold your breath over Three on 800 anytime soon.. some people are 'insane' to sign up to a network with no 2G backup..

Starting to see far more friends, family and work mates make the shift to EE4G... I do agree that some are waiting it out for the network they are on/used to to have it rather than switch or just waiting to see what happens mid summer. As am i with my personal account.

That looks like a scaremongering statement.

The fact is that 3 are technology neutral. They offer totally unlimited data with tethering on their One plan and customers probably could not care less how they get it. Users have posted speed tests of more than 20Mbps on 3 which is more than sufficient for any mobile application including HD video streaming. So 3 are definately a good option with the promise of 4G on both 1800 and 800Mhz at no extra cost when it's rolled out.

EE's best hope to sign people up to restrictive and nasty 4G contracts lie with their own contract customers most of whom will be offered a shiny new smartphone on a new EE contract. It's far easier to migrate exisiting cusotmers than win new ones and EE will try to match pricing to maximise the migration stats. Whether those who migrate need or use 4G will be immaterial to EE though.

Truth is that Swantee is miles off target and EE are having to dump iPhones onto 3rd party vendors to sell at deep discounts to dispose of overstocks. They are selling locked EE iPhone 5's at less than £400 now, a sign of how few have been attracted to the EE 4G proposition.

EE are are poor option and it'll be a hard sell ffor them to attract customers from other networks. Savvy customers will sit tight and wait to see what is offered before commiting themselves to nasty restrictive tariffs like EE offer.

EE stands for "Extremely Expensive"............
    Forum Member
    Pure rubbish. iPhone 5's are being discounted aggressively on all of the networks and not just in the UK. It's not a reflection of EE sign up's at all, more that iOS is stale.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pure rubbish. iPhone 5's are being discounted aggressively on all of the networks and not just in the UK. It's not a reflection of EE sign up's at all, more that iOS is stale.

Don't think so...... it's EE's iPhone 5 stocks that are being offered at 25% discounts.... not others.

Good try though!

Some evidence of boxed, new, O2, Vodafone or 3 locked iPhone 5's at £392?

Waiting.....
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess Kevin Bacon was a good choice for EE
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    el_bardos wrote: »
    This is something I still struggle to understand though. It costs a fortune to roll out a new network, even with a lot of the infrastructure already in place. And apparently 3 are not going to charge their customers for that outlay. So how are they going to make a return on the investment in all that new equipment?

The only thing I can think is that they are going to raise the price of all their contracts significantly, and hope that not too many people jump ship as a result

They have absorbed investment costs of £11,000 million so far and their parent company has very deep pockets. Deep enough to force Vodafone to merge their network with theirs in Australia last year, so do not underestimate them. Hutchison Whampoa 3's owners can play a long game. They will probably merge or sell but when the terms allow them to do so with some dignity to get out of the UK market, Meanwhile they will remain a major disruptor in the market as that is the only way they can force others to make a move to combine and share or buy them out.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "40% of Orange and T-Mobile customers opting for 4G when they upgrade" isn't the same as 40% of customers upgrading to 4G.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    EE's call centres are going in for the hard sell from what i''ve heard. playing up the 4G contracts and not even mentioning 3G when it comes to upgrades.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's long, and there's actually wanting to see a return on their investment within their own lifetimes...

Li Ka Shing is not likely to see a return on his investment on 3 in the UK in his lifetime. I doubt that matters greatly for the board of Hutchison Whampoa though. They will probably prevail in the long term.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is something I still struggle to understand though. It costs a fortune to roll out a new network, even with a lot of the infrastructure already in place. And apparently 3 are not going to charge their customers for that outlay. So how are they going to make a return on the investment in all that new equipment?

The only thing I can think is that they are going to raise the price of all their contracts significantly, and hope that not too many people jump ship as a result

In fairness they got a lot less cost then other networks as they had to pay the least amount for there spectrum of anyone. With them getting there 30MHZ of 1800MHZ for free and only having to pay the reserve price for there 10MHZ of 800MHZ. Plus most of there masts are in MBNL so a lot of there masts have already been upgraded all they need is to put the cabinets in. Plus they are realising that customers want value for money, and they realise this will be increase customers numbers, which will increase there profit margins. Maybe it will take a lot of time to regain the money they are putting in for rolling out 4G to the country, but maybe they are looking to become the third biggest network in the UK instead.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    EE's call centres are going in for the hard sell from what i''ve heard. playing up the 4G contracts and not even mentioning 3G when it comes to upgrades.

That makes sense. They would probably tell people to move over to EE 4G even if they don't have coverage. Not sure if there are bonus to be gotten by changing customers over but it wouldn't surprise me.

Its probably easier to convert existing customers than go after new ones.

This will no doubt be why O2 and Vodafone are wetting themselves with excitement at the thought of charging more and giving the customers less :eek:

Still lets what they do.........
    Forum Member
    Don't think so...... it's EE's iPhone 5 stocks that are being offered at 25% discounts.... not others.

Where is this deal?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where is this deal?

It's the deal he's now posted in three separate threads to try and show that iPhone 5 prices are in 'freefall'. A single deal from a third-party seller but fulfilled by Amazon.
    Forum Member
    So bull crap then. However prices are being discounted (slightly) on all the networks with iPhone 5 (as they do half way through)

Not quite sure what this has to do with EE4G?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So bull crap then. However prices are being discounted (slightly) on all the networks with iPhone 5 (as they do half way through)

Not quite sure what this has to do with EE4G?

The very tenuous link is that the Amazon stock was made up of iPhones locked to EE.
    Forum Member
    So could be Orange/TMUK/EE then....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So could be Orange/TMUK/EE then....

Yeah. Nothing to do with 4G at all. Probably nothing to do with EE centrally at all, either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not paying much for spectrum is a double edged sword. They have bought much less than EE or Voda, and had less than any other operator to start with since they had no legacy 2G spectrum. So if they increase their customer base to the levels of the other operators in order to pay for 4G they will have a network with major congestion issues and hence slower speeds per user than other operators.

Upgrading sites to 4G is not just adding a cabinet. There's new antennas, feeders, and actually getting landlords to agree to you doing that (i.e. legal costs). It's a huge investment even with their existing infrastructure.

So it's really not as simple a situation as you're suggesting. They have less customers currently and that's the only reason their network is faster than EE's because it's less contended. EE have that driver to push people to 4G to free up 3G capacity for those that don't want to upgrade and yet are still charging through the nose for 4G, which is a pretty strong indication that even with their huge customer base they don't feel they can just sink the costs of rolling out 4G and offer it to all customers for free. It's hard to see how 3 can come to such a different conclusion.

True they have less 4G spectrum then Vodafone or EE but have more 4G spectrum than someone like O2. They may have 10 less MHZ in 800MHZ but will have 30MHZ of 1800MHZ. There current 3G network is extremely good, though and makes up for not having a 2G one, and soon it is likely the 2G network is going to slowly get switched off. If it was just all about spectrum then on that basis Vodafone and O2 and should be far better than they are now but they clearly not.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Three will have 2x15Mhz. Not 30 up and 30 down.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Ooops, just realised you acknowledged this in another thread. Sorry. :)