New Hawaii Five O (Sky One)

Comments

• MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    I've seen the first three episodes. While being flashy, slick and well produced, it suffers from all the same problems that now dog US TV dramas which are scheduled for 60 minutes. You get 41 minutes of program, 19 minutes of commercials.

The result of this is wafer thin to non existent story, very little characterisation past the main characters, and a screenplay that just jumps straight from one action scene to the next without anything inbetween to link the two.

I think as a description of Hawaii Five-0 the second paragraph is accurate, but there is no shortage of "41 minute" US dramas that offer a good story and characterization. I choose to watch those instead of Hawaii Five-0, which really is meant to be a shallow action show.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finally got round to watching episode 2. more of the same good stuff. fairly easy going but then I don't mind that so much.
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Just watched it after Sky+ing it.

I really do get so disappointed with a lot of remakes, as quite often they fall way short of the mark and are normally so altered for change sake that it doesn't bear any relation to the source material.

Hawaii 5-0 2010 blew me away, I thought it was refreshingly brilliant fun. Loads of action, gun play and dry comedy. Brilliant. The new theme arrangement is, imo, better than the original and the nods to the original series were just right. The opening credits were also great.

Really looking forward to Sunday night!
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    Hawaii 5-0 2010 blew me away...
    They seem to be differentiating the two shows by the fact that the original was titled "Hawaii Five-O" (with the letter O at the end) whilst the new one is called "Hawaii Five-0" (with the number zero at the end, although still pronounced as "oh").

Of course this only works in written media :D
  • AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really enjoying this series so far and I much prefer it to the original which I didn't much care for apart from the theme tune and the scenery.Scott Caan steals every scene he's in and he has a great rapport with Alex O'Loughlin :D

Hawaii 5-0 is my must-see TV show of the week :)
  • NormandyMaryNormandyMary Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We love it, but dont find it violent at all. The opening torture sequence on Taggart a few weeks ago was much worse and was on at an earlier hour.
    Its nice to have some easy viewing for a change, with great scenery and superb eye candy for the men and the ladies!
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I"ve never noticed an "O" as opposed to a "0" in any of the versions. It could just be typography, font used etc. that gives an impression of a letter O used instead of a number 0, but it has always been understood that the 5-0 means "Fifty" as in Hawaii being the 50th state of the union. It is pronounced Five "Oh" however, as it is NOT unusual for Americans to use the sound (letter) "O" to mean "zero(zed)" while(st) using numbers. 624-7040 could be said "seven Oh Four Zero" or "seven zero four oh", or "seven oh four oh" or even "seven zero four zero" and you would be perfectly understood which ever version you use. The word Zero is used, but equally so in casual/colloquial talk, "o" as pronounced in the letter, is used as well. And we do realiz(s)e that it is the Number and not the Letter when using it as well. I am sure it could have equally originally been called "Hawaii Five Zero", but that just doesn't have a ring to it. I know it is odd, but it is what it is. And that is what it is. :D

(this may or not not have added any clarity to the five 0 vs. five O topic above).
  • KeriKeri Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Bloody Fantastic

9/10 What my HD TV was made for!
  • Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 11,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've really enjoyed the first 3 episodes, the scenery is awesome, and so far the action has been brilliant.
    I hope it continues in the same way, it's very well made and makes great viewing.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    H5~0 is turning into a great show. Can't say you need ya thinking head on, but the Locations and the Action, plus Danno's Ringtones, Darth Vader theme this week~for the lawer, adds to an enjoyable '45 mins'....{i rewind sometimes when Grace appears, that Red Robe;)}.

:cool:
  • Dave48Dave48 Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Remakes can be a complete disaster but this is one of the better ones. Lets face it it’s not BAFTA material but it’s entertaining with plenty of action with some nice comedy touches; the running “Book him Danno” gag and the ringtones. At least it’s not another CSI or NCIS clone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chucking the pizza guy in the shark cage was hilarious, especially his screaming and Steve & Danno having a beer while he flailed around in the water :D
  • REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aerick wrote: »
    I"ve never noticed an "O" as opposed to a "0" in any of the versions. It could just be typography, font used etc. that gives an impression of a letter O used instead of a number 0, but it has always been understood that the 5-0 means "Fifty" as in Hawaii being the 50th state of the union. It is pronounced Five "Oh" however, as it is NOT unusual for Americans to use the sound (letter) "O" to mean "zero(zed)" while(st) using numbers. 624-7040 could be said "seven Oh Four Zero" or "seven zero four oh", or "seven oh four oh" or even "seven zero four zero" and you would be perfectly understood which ever version you use. The word Zero is used, but equally so in casual/colloquial talk, "o" as pronounced in the letter, is used as well. And we do realiz(s)e that it is the Number and not the Letter when using it as well. I am sure it could have equally originally been called "Hawaii Five Zero", but that just doesn't have a ring to it. I know it is odd, but it is what it is. And that is what it is. :D

(this may or not not have added any clarity to the five 0 vs. five O topic above).

Hawaii became the 50th state in 1958 and to have the locals feel part of the union television had to have a series set there. Hawaiian Eye 1959-63, Hawaii 50 1968-80, Magnum PI 1980 -88 but all the post production was done in Hollywood. Incidently Hawaii did/does not have state police.
  • Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been watching them for a while now (about 3 behind US episodes) and enjoying them.
  • DE53DE53 Posts: 2,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awww loved the original and really fancied this but haven't got sky :( Do you think any other channels will get it later?
    Forum Member
    Another geat episode Sunday.
    I've never really watched an american tv series where I actually like/care about the characters. I feel for Danno, probably because I went through the child separation anxiety, fighting for visiting rights thing.

I don't think we have seen a characters on a tv show gel as much as these characters do since M.A.S.H.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DE53 wrote: »
    Awww loved the original and really fancied this but haven't got sky :( Do you think any other channels will get it later?

Doubtful, rumour has it that Sky have the exclusive rights so unless they sell the terrestrial rights on to another broadcaster it’s not going to happen. Anytime soon at least.

On an unrelated note did you guys know that the actor who plays Danno is James Caan’s son. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a huge crush on James Caan when he was in 'The Godfather' and Scott has exactly the same swagger as his Dad :D
  • CuddlesTCCuddlesTC Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    natalie77 wrote: »
    I totally agree plus there is some gorgeous guy candy for me to ogle in Alex O'Loughlin :D

Now that's what my HD TV was made for ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the opening of last night's episode was particularly enjoyable with Danny blaming McGarrett for his torn ACL(Scott Caan really injured himself during filming) and the doctor's reaction to Danno's tale of how he got shot on his first day with McGarrett.I love Danno's rants :D

Hawaii 5-0 is my favourite show on TV at the moment and the stunning scenery has me thinking of visiting Hawaii again some day :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave48 wrote: »
    Remakes can be a complete disaster but this is one of the better ones. Lets face it it’s not BAFTA material

Actually Scott Caan was nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor in a TV series :-)

And for any fans of Iron Chef America, stand by to see the Chairman (if he hasn't been on yet...I'm a couple of episodes behind) as Wo Fat.

Oh, and for the poster who complained about the ad breaks........Sky Anytime is your friend.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I'm really enjoying this at the moment. I just love how unashamedly ridiculous it is :D It's refreshing to have a procedural type show that doesn't take itself seriously.

I'm also glad that Sky decided to hold it back rather than starting it on Bravo back in October when it was originally going to air, it would have been a shame to see this only in SD, as it looks stunning in HD.
    Forum Member
    Scott Caan has got great comedy timing. Loved the anneurism face line!:D
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Terrible episode....this week, not helped by the Getty...:eek:....he just can't act.:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone can look hot while limping with a cane it's Scott Caan :D

Danno & McGarrett seemed less combative and more agreeable in last night's episode though I'm sure that won't last :D Their evolving partnership is the best thing about the show and the banter between them doesn't feels forced.It also doesn't hurt that they're also very easy on the eye :D

I'm intrigued by what Mary found so interesting in her Dad's old tool box but I have a feeling whatever she was photographing will lead to trouble in the future..

I've noticed that two of the guest actressess have also starred in Supernatural: Michelle Borth in Season's 2's 'What is & What Should Never be' & Maite Schwartz in Season 4's 'Sex & Violence'.Colin Ford, who also plays young Sam Winchester, was in the episode 'Ohana'.

I've heard that the 1st season DVD will be out in May so that's something I'll definitely be pre-ordering :)