Good current horror recommendations

Comments

• MissliMissli Posts: 3,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Outcast (2010) is the best horror film I've seen this year. It has a surreal dark fantasy element which I like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I have googled most of these :p which asound not bad

see no evil
    chain letter
    dead and buried
    creature
    the return
    black christmas

has anyone seen them ? Please say yay or nay :D
  • Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »

see no evil
    chain letter
    dead and buried
    creature
    the return
    black christmas

I've seen Black Christmas and I liked it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member

see no evil
    chain letter
    dead and buried
    creature
    the return
    black christmas

Not ween See no evil but have high expectations of it being crap.
    It stars Kane from the WWE. As you would expect that is a seal of excellence in the acting stakes. :rolleyes:
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad people are sharing opinions and looking up these movies it helps :)

I watched Truth or Dare? last night, to be honest it was crap, but something kept me watching it. I think it's enjoyable the first time, but you'd probably not watch again. Surprisingly 'different' ending that you'd have expected. Also I found that it didn't exactly follow what some call "the rules of horror movies"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Good current horror stuff?

My picks:
    - The Tunnel (2011)
    - Grave Encounters (2011)
    - Chernobyl Diaries (2012)
    - Devil inside (2012)
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HotRod78 wrote: »
    My picks:
    - The Tunnel (2011)

That would have been great if it wasn't for these three things:

- interviews
    - interviewees' indifference towards that poor employee
    - the unlikeability of all three major players

It was a good film but damn, those three things were so off-putting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just thought i'd throw this out there, but I just finished watching Chained. Imo, it's not much of a horror, i'd class it as a thriller. In saying that, I thought it was a fantastic movie and would recommend it. There's a twist in it that in all honesty I assumed may happen but forgot all about it so by the time it happened I was like 'wow didn't expect that' A few tense moments in I guess. Great movie nonetheless
    Forum Member
    Toy_Hero wrote: »

I watched Truth or Dare? last night, to be honest it was crap, but something kept me watching it. I think it's enjoyable the first time, but you'd probably not watch again. Surprisingly 'different' ending that you'd have expected. Also I found that it didn't exactly follow what some call "the rules of horror movies"

i rented it out recently, but didnt quite get the end..
    why was she videoing her and the lad near the end ? This is how it ended with them getting blown up,
    or did that happen, i forgot..please put spoliers in and remind me :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    V/H/S isn't perfect, but when it's good, it's excellent. Definitely worth a watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i rented it out recently, but didnt quite get the end..
    why was she videoing her and the lad near the end ? This is how it ended with them getting blown up,
    or did that happen, i forgot..please put spoliers in and remind me :o

Thank you for digging this up :p Funny enough I was gonna message you about more horrors because I knew you were a big fan as well. Just for reference I have watched a few horrors people have mentioned in this thread lately:-

The Collector
    Insidious
    Truth or Dare
    Chained - I found this more thriller than Horror and if I had known that I wouldn't have watched. But I can't stress enough it was a fantastic film and glad I saw it. I recommend it
    The Tunnels
    The Devil Inside

So anymore horrors anybody wants to put across will be awesome

In regards to Truth or Dare
    I can't actually remember but I think it's because didn't she say that her family needed money and she asked the boys family for some but they wouldn't give her it. So she decided to let the boy blow her boyfriend and she videoed it so she could blackmail him? Also I think the boy was genuinely gay, and during the movie the brother was saying how his brother wouldn't bring shame to the family name by being a '****' Then we learn he tried to kill himself because of his own brother had gave him crap all his life. And we found out that the boy pretty much was braindead and had no chance of getting better. So the girl gave him the grenade and gave him the chance to get revenge by killing his brother considering he himself was pretty much dead.
    V/H/S isn't perfect, but when it's good, it's excellent. Definitely worth a watch.

Is it really worth it? I have pondered watching it, but reviews say it's 'really bad for a found footage film' and that not to waste your time watching it.
  • DubDubDubDub Posts: 2,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tis quite retro but my recommendation would have to be - Return of the Living Dead
  • ScooterwolfScooterwolf Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another thumbs up for V/H/S, definitely worth a watch
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody has mentioned Drag me to Hell yet. It's good.
    Forum Member
    Yobaba** wrote: »
    Nobody has mentioned Drag me to Hell yet. It's good.

lol..tongue in cheek good..the end was the best, but still :p

thanks Toy- Hero, for the end of truth or dare, i'd forgotton it :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay thanks I'm gonna give V/H/S a try

I'm not really keen on movies that are slow-paced because i find it takes so much to get into them and leaves little action. This is how I felt about Wolf Creek. A few movies I'm queering about have been described as slow paced but I wanna know if they're worth it

The Innkeepers
    Session 9
    Forum Member
    The Innkeepers is good, scared me, jumpy moments in
    Forum Member
    Afew films i looked at tonight on Blockbuster site with not bad reviews are

Dark remains
    The Abandoned
    When evil calls
    Storage
    Absentia
    The Shrine
    Evidence
    The Tunnel
    Mum and Dad
    Dream House
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    Is V/H/S really worth it? I have pondered watching it, but reviews say it's 'really bad for a found footage film' and that not to waste your time watching it.

Ignore those reviews, i watched it a few weeks ago and i really enjoyed it. Not all of the segments are good (i personally thought the first segment with the strange woman was crap), but it's well worth a watch, one of the better "found footage" films of late.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Afew films i looked at tonight on Blockbuster site with not bad reviews are

Dark remains
    The Abandoned
    When evil calls
    Storage
    Absentia
    The Shrine
    Evidence
    The Tunnel
    Mum and Dad
    Dream House

Seen both in bold. Really enjoyed The Tunnel, it's not really a "found footage" but more like a heldhand camera documentary horror. Really enjoyed it.
    As for The Shrine, I did enjoy it as well and it has a little bit of twist in it that I liked
    CJClarke wrote: »
    Ignore those reviews, i watched it a few weeks ago and i really enjoyed it. Not all of the segments are good (i personally thought the first segment with the strange woman was crap), but it's well worth a watch, one of the better "found footage" films of late.

Yeah I've heard the first 15 mins is a little crap, but i'm gonna give it a ago tonight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, I just finished watching V/H/S. God, I'm so confused. I don't even know if it was a good or bad movie but what was the point of it all? Ahh I don't even know
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Spanish film I lied, 'Baby's Room.'

Hope you get to see Sinister OP, I thought it was nice n creepy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    just dont watch found footage horrors they all suck and watch the fright night remake in my opinion its better than the original
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone seen The Chenobyl Diaries yet? Is it worth a look?
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member

see no evil
    chain letter
    dead and buried
    creature
    the return
    black christmas

Big thumbs up. Really good early eighties horror from when they still knew how to do this sort of stuff.

Dir. Gary Sherman also made cult British underground horror Death Line ("mind the dooors!"), which is another you need to see.