Options

By Any Means

Comments

• Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the trailer it looks as if next week is yet another: 'Do this by any means' where they are threatened with being abandoned by their bosses.

This week Helen made some comment about how it could have gone badly wrong.

It seems that the title is a complete misnomer as if any of the means they use are against the law and they get caught they are in trouble, one way or another.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    So looking forward to the series finale, it looks like it could be the best one yet. It just get's better and better and just as it leaves you wanting more we reach the series finale on Sunday, why do we have to settle for 6 episodes and why can't we have 8 or 10??....roll on series 2.
  • Options
    mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    im only going to watch the last episode on sunday because madeline duggan who was the first lauren branning in eastenders is in it :)
  • Options
    steven87gillsteven87gill Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good dramatic finale. Loved the cliffhanger ending, overall I've enjoyed By Any Means.

I'm just hoping that by next series this damn show could work out what it wants to be. At the moment the tone of the show is a bit all over the place, it's neither lighthearted entertainment nor gritty drama.

Take this weeks episode, one minute It's 'Hustle' style quips and witty dialogue, and the next a 17 year old is getting her brains blown out.

The overall tone isn't really dark or serious enough for those sort of scenes to work. As such, the death felt shoehorned in, much like the sex scenes in the first series of Torchwood, put there for shock value & to try and put the show over as 'edgy', when it was anything but, really.

Like I say though, overall I've enjoyed it. Hoping it gets a new series.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The TKD guy was so funny. :D
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've enjoyed this series but it didn't help by putting possibly the weakest episode of the six on first.I hope it gets recommissioned but it has more of a Monday night feel to it.
  • Options
    val67val67 Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I could have watched many more episodes. So I hope they commission another series.
    I have difficulty understanding people who spend there time picking holes in programmes while they are actually on. Then maybe I am unintelligent and a pleb.

This is escapism and we all need some of this some of the time.

I think this was a great team put together in the series. And I hope we can welcome them back.
    By the way I think Warren Brown is gorgeous and I am a 73 year old great grand mother!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    val67 wrote: »
    I could have watched many more episodes. So I hope they commission another series.
    I have difficulty understanding people who spend there time picking holes in programmes while they are actually on. Then maybe I am unintelligent and a pleb.

I think this was a great team put together in the series. And I hope we can welcome them back.
    By the way I think Warren Brown is gorgeous and I am a 73 year old great grand mother!

You are not the only one love I`ve already said he could turn me bisexual any day :eek: guess you could say I have a little man crush :o
  • Options
    thehordeoftravthehordeoftrav Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    The finale was absolutely fantastic!

Jack:Yeah, well, like I told a very good friend of mine once,
    the world's changed a bit. It had to because of scum like you. So, yeah, you might be right about your 36 hours
    and your brief getting you off. But you're wrong about how far I'll go to stop you hurting people. You see, it all comes down to the fact that in this world,t here's good guys and bad guys. White hats and black hats - just like the movies.
    That good friend of mine's name is Charlie O'Brien. And what me and Charlie do is we go after bad guys just like you
    and we get them off the streets - by any means, whatever it takes. So whatever you did to him last night, he's standing here right now, pointing this gun at your head.

Caine:Like I said, you can't use that. You're a policeman. You are a cop.....aren't you?

Jack: It's a grey area.

Absolutely adored that scene. Great acting from Warren. Best episode of the series! hugely entertaining!

Tony Jordan linked the first and last episode of the series by the 'there's good guys and bad guys' speech like he did in the first series of Hustle buy with the first rule of the con, "you cant cheat an honest man". Hustle was absolutely fantastic!

The first episode of By Any Means was weak and the others were just good. The scaring the mark out of a confession was used a bit too much. The series as a whole as been a bit of a mixed bag. It needs another series to sort of errors of the first series. With a little tweaking it could be an awesome show like Hustle.

I can see it get recommissioned for another series. And I can't wait.

The intro music is just fantastic and the SOUNDTRACK that plays during intense moments is just brilliant!
  • Options
    steviexsteviex Posts: 132,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    val67 wrote: »

doop wrote: »
    You are not the only one love I`ve already said he could turn me bisexual any day :eek: guess you could say I have a little man crush :o

I enjoyed watching this, especially the last episode. There's got to be another series.

Btw, I've always liked Shelley Conn. She's gorgeous. :)
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good dramatic finale. Loved the cliffhanger ending, overall I've enjoyed By Any Means.

I'm just hoping that by next series this damn show could work out what it wants to be. At the moment the tone of the show is a bit all over the place, it's neither lighthearted entertainment nor gritty drama.

Take this weeks episode, one minute It's 'Hustle' style quips and witty dialogue, and the next a 17 year old is getting her brains blown out

The overall tone isn't really dark or serious enough for those sort of scenes to work. As such, the death felt shoehorned in, much like the sex scenes in the first series of Torchwood, put there for shock value & to try and put the show over as 'edgy', when it was anything but, really.

Like I say though, overall I've enjoyed it. Hoping it gets a new series.

That's been precisely my problem with this series. Whereas Hustle was generally just a light hearted "caper", with the team pulling a different scam every week. This has taken a much darker route with some very nasty villains and brutal killings, but it's still tried to keep the jokey style of Hustle.
    Our team has to develope a harder edge, maybe add a new character, give them a "licence to kill". As it stands it's rather like an enthusiastic group of young amateurs going after gangs of vicious criminals. It doesn't really work.
  • Options
    thehordeoftravthehordeoftrav Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    I think they want to make the team the 'good guys' and show that what they're doing is right, like Hustle. It if got darker and they had more free run to do whatever they want, it would sort of remove the 'good guys' stasis and make them bad as the criminals. It's unusual concept of having a un-legal team go after criminals (for no financial reward) , it makes it hard to find the balance. If it's overly dark they'll be using violence to get results and it it's too light it won't mean 'By Any Means'

I think what I said makes sense...:confused:
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am surprised that no-one is discussing whether or not Caine was shot. We heard the gun fire but did not discover whether he was just shot and wounded, or shot dead. He was clever to remind Jack that he was a policeman (probably).

I assumed that the minimum damage would have been to Caine's knee (as Charlie's knee-cap had been levered off) but possibly few would argue that in this case Jack would have been justified in getting this criminal out of circulation "By Any Means".
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    DJW13 wrote: »
    I am surprised that no-one is discussing whether or not Caine was shot. We heard the gun fire but did not discover whether he was just shot and wounded, or shot dead. He was clever to remind Jack that he was a policeman (probably).

I assumed that the minimum damage would have been to Caine's knee (as Charlie's knee-cap had been levered off) but possibly few would argue that in this case Jack would have been justified in getting this criminal out of circulation "By Any Means".

Dont think he will have shot him - just scared him I think. Caine would actually be a good recurring villain - if the BBC do the right thing and give us a 2nd series.
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a gray area.;)
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ChrisE wrote: »
    It's a gray area.;)

It isn't, it's a grey area. ;):rolleyes:
  • Options
    CatsRuleCatsRule Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    steviex wrote: »
    I enjoyed watching this, especially the last episode. There's got to be another series.

Btw, I've always liked Shelley Conn. She's gorgeous. :)

Warren's a bit of alright, but Elliot is rather nice too, both lovely. I wouldn't say no to Andrew or Shelley either. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

I was hoping poor old Charlie would be ok. I had a look back and all you can see is his face messed up, no sign of missing kneecap, but thats what they said they'd done to him. Hopefully he can get a replacement on the NHS and he'll be back in business for a possible 2nd series!!? :D
  • Options
    PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else think this show is cheerleading for a police state just a bit too much? There seems to be no opposing view as to their tactics and it's portrayed as perfectly alright for the state to bug people, beat them up or even kill them because it all turns out right in the end.

I think they should do an episode where one of their victims turns out to be innocent.
  • Options
    strangerstillstrangerstill Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    CatsRule wrote: »
    I was hoping poor old Charlie would be ok. I had a look back and all you can see is his face messed up, no sign of missing kneecap, but thats what they said they'd done to him. Hopefully he can get a replacement on the NHS and he'll be back in business for a possible 2nd series!!? :D

Keep him away from the NHS or he will definitely not be returning,:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Keep him away from the NHS or he will definitely not be returning,:rolleyes:

Maybe Helen has managed to get them BUPA ;)
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plant wrote: »
    Does anyone else think this show is cheerleading for a police state just a bit too much? There seems to be no opposing view as to their tactics and it's portrayed as perfectly alright for the state to bug people, beat them up or even kill them because it all turns out right in the end.

I think they should do an episode where one of their victims turns out to be innocent.

Yes. I said this in my earlier posts. To have situations, as in Hustle when a group of lovable rogues get one over on a group of unlovable rogues was fine.

To show the state manufacturing evidence, or obtaining evidence by illegal means against someone who is supposedly innocent until proven guilty is another matter.

It's not as if it's any good, either. Not even so bad it's good.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plant wrote: »

It would be, if there was any doubt at all about the guilt of the villains. But they make sure we see in the beginning that the people they are after really do deserve anything that's coming to them.
    I suppose it's the same with the vigilante "revenge" movies from Death Wish onwards, most people don't care what measures are taken to get the bad guys.
  • Options
    elle77elle77 Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    I wasn't sure about it after the first episode but I feel it got better as the series went on-similar format to Hustle with darker themes. I hope there is second series-want to see what happens to Charlie
  • Options
    PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be, if there was any doubt at all about the guilt of the villains. But they make sure we see in the beginning that the people they are after really do deserve anything that's coming to them.
    I suppose it's the same with the vigilante "revenge" movies from Death Wish onwards, most people don't care what measures are taken to get the bad guys.

Yes, but that's my point. These aren't real life stories. They are deliberately skewing the stories so that the audience is sympathising with the idea of bugging, surveillance, and illegal tactics used by the state.