Norton

I think this is quite strange but a good deal if you are intent on buying Norton.

On Amazon Norton Internet Security 11 is £36

Norton Internet Security 11 performance pack is £25

On the face of it a lot cheaper with the added benefit of Norton Utilities. This package is basicaly Norton 360 without the on line storage.

I went to Comet today, normal internet securoty was £50 and the performace pack £27. 2010 software was also a lot more expensive

Why are Norton pricing like this?:confused:

Comments

• TKDFanTKDFan Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    I think this is quite strange but a good deal if you are intent on buying Norton.

On Amazon Norton Internet Security 11 is £36

Norton Internet Security 11 performance pack is £25

On the face of it a lot cheaper with the added benefit of Norton Utilities. This package is basicaly Norton 360 without the on line storage.

I went to Comet today, normal internet securoty was £50 and the performace pack £27. 2010 software was also a lot more expensive

Why are Norton pricing like this?:confused:

Good question, a better one would be, why are people still buying Norton? :D
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    TKDFan wrote: »
    Good question, a better one would be, why are people still buying Norton? :D

What's wrong with it?
  • TKDFanTKDFan Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's wrong with it?

I've not used any of the recent versions, but in the past, it has been huge, unwieldly, and slows down most computers on which it was installed.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's wrong with it?

The same thing can be had for free. Avast, Avira, AVG.
  • Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of the subscription based security products, Norton's 2010 and 2011 Security Suites are actually very good according to the independent AV testing organisations, actually ranked in the top five. It is no longer the resource intensive buggy program it used to be.

Well worth considering if you insist on paying for your protection.

Of the free ones, Avira Antivir is still rated the best.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    What's wrong with it?

I had the Norton 360 trial on my reasonably well specced (dual core Pentium, 3GB RAM, Windows 7) laptop and it was noticeably slower than my usual setup of Comodo Firewall and MSE both at startup and when opening files/folders.

Comodo can be arkward for a novice though so maybe they'd put up with the slight performance drop in return for the extra user friendliness of Norton.

As a reasonably savvy user, for me the completely free combo of Comodo + MSE is a no brainer as the two work very well together and give superb protection with minimal hassle (once they're set up right).
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    Not really, even the paid versions of those packages are not rated as highly as Norton on AV-test.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    Not really, even the paid versions of those packages are not rated as highly as Norton on AV-test.

That's just one test. They vary from month to month and in general Avira beats Norton on detection and MSE is catching up fast with a new version due soon.

EG: On AV Comparatives May test MSE beat both Avira and Norton!

http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/main-tests

Norton is undoubtedly much better than a few years ago though and at £25 is good value for the novice user imo.
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »

I've used the free AVG and Avast in the past and they have let in viruses. I bought from comet today at £27 quid.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rossall wrote: »
    That's just one test. They vary from month to month and in general Avira beats Norton on detection and MSE is catching up fast with a new version due soon.

EG: On AV Comparatives May test MSE beat both Avira and Norton!

http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/main-tests

Norton is undoubtedly much better than a few years ago though and at £25 is good value for the novice user imo.
    That's why I use Eset NOD32 for a paid for AV s/w, it's very consistent in these tests always scores near the top. And you hardly know it's there.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    I've been using Norton for a while and nothing yet has got through it. THe Performance Pack seems a good price even if you do not want the Utilities that come with it.

I have just spent some time cleaning up a friend's PC which had free AV software installed. By comparison Norton is a bargain even it it was twice the price!
    Forum Member
    TeeGee wrote: »
    I've been using Norton for a while and nothing yet has got through it. THe Performance Pack seems a good price even if you do not want the Utilities that come with it.

I have just spent some time cleaning up a friend's PC which had free AV software installed. By comparison Norton is a bargain even it it was twice the price!

That's what I mean, I'm bafelled at the pricing even the sales assistant was confused. I get the feeling AV pricing is random.