Options

Expecting too much from a christmas special?

027huds027huds Posts: 12,571
Forum Member
✭✭
The christmas specials have never been the best examples of Doctor Who by a long shot. In fact, I don't think I've ever been overly impressed by one.

I'm just wondering if perhaps people are expecting too much from a christmas episode, as many people seem to be talking about tonights as if it was a big let down.

I must admit I used to do this, and was pretty much very disappointed every year. This year I just took it for what it was and I think that's the best way to take the christmas specials.

It may not be the best example of Doctor Who, but it's still got to be better than hours and hours of soaps or the 1000 repeat of Home Alone? IMO, it's just nice to have something pretty good to watch over christmas.

Christmas Doctor Who has never been great Doctor Who IMO. But it's still good telly :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    I wasn't expecting any more than a fun Christmas adventure.

That's what I got, so I'm happy.
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    ssj2matt wrote: »
    I wasn't expecting any more than a fun Christmas adventure.

That's what I got, so I'm happy.

Exactly as it should have been, and exactly as delivered.

Still, you can't please everyone, and usually the gormless least of all.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    A fun and self contained story with some brilliant scenes. Also gave some others a chance at a major role aside from Gillan and Darvill - they have the whole of Series 6 to shine.

I wanted a fun and festive adventure. I got it. :D Best Christmas episode of all....so far. :)
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm probably guilty of being in the "expecting too much" brigade.

The latest series with Moffat, Smith and Gillan was absolutely fantastic - one of my absolute TV highlights of the year (along with the excellent but too short series of Sherlock) - and so I had really high hopes for the Xmas Doctor Who special.

I didn't think it was awful, and there were some real positives (Gambon was fantastic), but I liked it less than any of the Moffat written epsides from the last series (including The Beast Below).

Maybe I was never going to be happy with an Xmas special ... a sleigh ride behind a flying shark and Katherine Jenkins singing carrols was too sickly sweet for me.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    TCD1975 wrote: »
    ... a sleigh ride behind a flying shark and Katherine Jenkins singing carrols was too sickly sweet for me.

This ^^^ :)
  • Options
    Jaymitch1Jaymitch1 Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    well i always expect the xmas episodes to be pretty crappy, so no i wouldnt 'expect too much' from a christmas episode.
    this one in particular was better than last years appalling 2 parter though.
    but i try and keep the 'specials' completely seperate from the actual series, because they always seem so very different.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I don't expect too much from the Chrimbo Specials. It's a bit of fun and really not to be taken too seriously. I think if I did I'd be sorely disappointed. I'm not one for sickly sweet so there was some of tonight's I didn't really like, but hey ho, it had its moments and I'm happy with the bits I did like. :)
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I watched it not expecting great things, and I wasn't disappointed,the only good thing was Michael Gambon,the rest,IMO was weak and senseless. 7 year old just said'boring and wandered off, and he was the biggest fan ever once. All eight of us agreed it was mediocre to say the least.

yawn........
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll take a contrary point of view here, methinks!
    For me, this was the first proper Christmas Special.
    In that, it was the first story based around family, redemption, love and loss.
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    Great idea, poorly executed.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    The Feast of Steven was by far the best Christmas special (isn't that what it was called ?) he said with tounge in cheek
  • Options
    tomorrowtomorrow Posts: 32,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think this worked.

It was way too complicated for children to understand and the story itself was disjointed.

Wasted episode.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    tomorrow wrote: »
    I don't think this worked.

It was way too complicated for children to understand and the story itself was disjointed.

Wasted episode.

Too complicated? My 4 year old niece had no problems with it... The story was magical enough for the children, with some plt added for the aduts.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    Too complicated? My 4 year old niece had no problems with it... The story was magical enough for the children, with some plt added for the aduts.

ditto mine. apparently they are both headed for oxbridge in a year or two. :rolleyes:

personally i feel the story was actually simplicity itself, beyond what one might describe as an appearance of being complex.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    I missed the Christmas special and don't have access to catch up where I am at the moment. Anyone know if it's being repeated on tv again as in previous year....New Years day perhaps?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Repeated Tuesday 1:40 pm on bbc1
    Repeated Wednesday 1:35 pm on bbc1
    Repeated Thursday 2:10 pm on bbc1
    Repeated Friday 1:10 pm on bbc1
    Repeated Saturday 12:40 pm on bbc1

I assume these are all the Christmas Carol repeats?
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RacerWelsh wrote: »
    Repeated Tuesday 1:40 pm on bbc1
    Repeated Wednesday 1:35 pm on bbc1
    Repeated Thursday 2:10 pm on bbc1
    Repeated Friday 1:10 pm on bbc1
    Repeated Saturday 12:40 pm on bbc1

I assume these are all the Christmas Carol repeats?

no they are repeating the past xmas specials. Not sure about saturday, but i assume it's the end of time part 2, as part 1 is friday

The Daily Fail would have a field day of the BBC showed the same episode that many times in a week! :eek:

The repeated A Christmas Carol on BBC3 last night.
  • Options
    rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hot Dogg wrote: »
    I'll take a contrary point of view here, methinks!
    For me, this was the first proper Christmas Special.
    In that, it was the first story based around family, redemption, love and loss.

I agree with you, HD.

I loved the fairytale style and Dickensian charm of the episode, and the idea that the biggest monsters we have to overcome are sometimes inside us.

I'm not a fan of Katherine Jenkins, but she was great in this role and sang "In the bleak midwinter" beautifully.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Found myself falling asleep during the first 20mins (partly due to a big Xmas dinner and to much wine)

But the second half i thought was well written and well acted.....Gambon stole the show.

I agree with a previous post that you shouldn't expect much from the Xmas special as it really has nothing to do with the actual series in general....except last years offering.
  • Options
    mousymousy Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont know how the half way out of the dark will apply to southern hemisphere viewers lol but I enjoyed it
  • Options
    Adam KelleherAdam Kelleher Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »

Well exactly. It worked for a 4 year old because they wouldn't see all flaws in it.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bester wrote: »
    Exactly as it should have been, and exactly as delivered.

Still, you can't please everyone, and usually the gormless least of all.

Again with the aggression...please give it a rest.If we all did that then the standard posts would be something like:-

The facts are that, as the self appointed most intelligent person on this forum, I think it had flaws. And I think only the gormless can't see that.

i.e. you.

So lets not do that should we. Whether people liked it or not has largely come down to personal preference rather than, anyone, other than you, claiming they are too clever for the programme.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Well exactly. It worked for a 4 year old because they wouldn't see all flaws in it.

Quelle suprise! :yawn:

;)
  • Options
    UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was my very first x-mas special so wasn't all that sure what to expect but I did hype myself up for it something stupid, simply because it was a new hour of who but I think next Christmas (if there is a special) I'll lower my expectations slightly, it just seems like a nice filler for the next series.
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Apart from the VotD, this was the first Christmas special with snow, and without trees full of green leaves, bright sunshine and people walking around in t shirts trying to make us believe its Dec 25 a la TCI, TRB and both parts of EoT.

Loved it, didn't expect anything other than a DW Christmas Special and that's what I got, suspended disbelief as usual with DW and went with it, and thought is was the best christmas special so far apart from TCI!