Why are people who aren't normally into films obsessed by Harry Potter and Twilight?

seelleeseellee Posts: 10,722
Forum Member
✭✭
Yes it's that time of year again folks Potter mania has taken over your local cinema and Twilight is just around the corner.

Now I'm not bashing people for liking these films. I've seen these franchises myself, they are ok for what they are but certainly not what I'd call great films. Personally I prefer the Potter characters they are more likeable. I find Bella in Twilight quite annoying and a bit of a ****! Anyway I digress....

They also tempt many people out who don't normally go to the Cinema, which I see as more good than bad. People will also see the film 2 or 3 times in one day, yet don't do that for any other film, in fact some really aren't into films at all, but get obsessive with these franchises.
I mean I'm looking forward to the next Nolan Batman film, yes I'll probably see it a couple of times but not in 1 day.

So why do these two franchises create such a stir? Is it the actors?, the stories?, or because of the books they came from?

Comments

• thedarklordthedarklord Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a film fan and I really like the Harry Potter film series, though not as much as the books. I think the fanboys of both Harry Potter and Twilight can go overboard and that really bugs me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I'm a film fan and I really like the Harry Potter film series, though not as much as the books. I think the fanboys of both Harry Potter and Twilight can go overboard and that really bugs me.

To be fair, the Twihards are much, much, much worse than Harry Potter fans. At least Harry Potter fanatics only dress up like wizards, all Twihards seem to do is scream whenever one of the male cast removes an item of clothing:rolleyes:
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    To be fair, the Twihards are much, much, much worse than Harry Potter fans. At least Harry Potter fanatics only dress up like wizards, all Twihards seem to do is scream whenever one of the male cast removes an item of clothing:rolleyes:

This is true, although Potter fans are Obsessive, you can double that for Twilight. I guess I'm not a teenage girl so I'm not really meant to understand it.

Although the themes in Potter draw criticisms, I'm much more disturbed by people who find Bella a role model, shes a bit of a prick tease,uses Jacob quite a bit, moans quite a lot and acts the victim.

After thinking about it, it must be the book tie-ins. I doubt they would be so popular without the books first. Potter has a current score of 8.7 on IMDB, is it worthy of this?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the Harry Potter and Twilight films because they're escapist fun. As an adult, I can see that Twilight is heavily flawed in some aspects but because I still enjoy it as a shameless piece of fantasy. And though the HP films aren't a patch on the books in terms of storytelling quality, in my opinion, they're still enjoyable in their own right.

The people who take stuff like this seriously are usually young and will grow out of their more obsessive displays of fandom. Although there are the Twimoms, who I think are somewhat disturbed and worrying...
  • RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also a huge film fan and I also like the Harry Potter series. I thought the first four were great, then the next three were incredibly dull and last night's final instalment was again fantastic.

Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson for the majority are appalling actors but the performances from the rest of the cast (Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith, Gary Oldman, Ralph Fiennes, Helena Bonham Carter and Robbie Coltrane) really pull the movies together and make them worth watching. The entire HP universe is great fun. :)

As for Twilight. I don't even want to waste my time typing about it. Anybody who can sit through those films and say they found them entertaining and enjoyable needs serious help; and I say that with all honesty. I personally feel like they are an insult to the film industry. I've watched all three (curiosity) and they are terribly acted, written, directed with awful effects and an even worse storyline.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kyri wrote: »

As for Twilight. I don't even want to waste my time typing about it. Anybody who can sit through those films and say they found them entertaining and enjoyable needs serious help; and I say that with all honesty. I personally feel like they are an insult to the film industry. I've watched all three (curiosity) and they are terribly acted, written, directed with awful effects and an even worse storyline.

It's fine to discuss like something and express that, but do you really need to launch personal attacks on people just because they have different tastes than you do? I think the only Twilight fans who really need "serious help" of any kind are those freaky Twimoms I mentioned. Otherwise, who gives a shit if someone finds entertainment in something you don't?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I consider myself to be quite obsessed with Harry Potter, but I also consider myself to be quite obsessed with films. I can watch anything. My DVD/Bluray collection has everything from the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre to Beauty and the Beast. Movies are my main hobby and interest, it is basically where all my wages go.

I was ten years old when the first Harry Potter book came out, and my English teacher basically forced me to read it, insisting I would love it. I was never into books at all, and I still am not, but Harry Potter was something that really caught my attention. As I grew older, Harry grew older, and it became something very special to me. So the end of the franchise has meant a big deal to me. I have enjoyed each and every movie, and they remind me of the special moments I had when reading the books when I was young.

As for Twilight, well...I hate the stuff haha. But I won't ever judge anyone who does enjoy it.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    The main fanbase of Harry Potter are those who read the books (ie. hundreds of millions of people). So they'll all naturally want to see the films just out of curiosity or through wanting to see their imagination realised. That's why I went to see the first few, and I thought they did a great job and the films (for me) kept getting better and better. DH Part 2 is truly fantastic, but that still only stems from me enjoying the books so much. So basically, these people you speak of are not film fans, they're Harry Potter fans. As in the books. Worlds collide with franchises such as this. which I think is a good thing.

Same goes for Twilight I would suspect, though I know not a jot about it. All I know is that it is apparently considerably more angsty and titillating, which is probably another point of attraction for certain people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I consider myself to be a film fan and it wasn't until the last four films of Harry Potter did I really take an interest because they are the most cinematic and filmic of them all. The first four were fun popcorn flicks (even though the third actually felt like a proper film in comparison to the first two), but the series really picked up with the fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth. Of course, I have read the books and appreciate the amount of filmmaking talent that goes into making these pictures, and as I've said, the last four have been really good films.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MediaFM wrote: »
    I consider myself to be a film fan and it wasn't until the last four films of Harry Potter did I really take an interest because they are the most cinematic and filmic of them all. The first four were fun popcorn flicks (even though the third actually felt like a proper film in comparison to the first two), but the series really picked up with the fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth. Of course, I have read the books and appreciate the amount of filmmaking talent that goes into making these pictures, and as I've said, the last four have been really good films.

I think the first two HP films are absolutely awful, funnily enough. For me it all picks up from Prisoner of Azkaban and only gets better, as long as I treat them as just regular films and not book adaptations, because, for me, nothing will surpass the books.
  • Hello.Hello. Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'm a huge Harry Potter film fan - I've only read the last book. Even without reading them I've grown to love the series more and more over the years. Its the whole experience. I've lived in two different cities over the last 10 years, have had many different friends - but we all have one thing in common - a love for the escapism of Potter. I have memories of school trips to the cinema or friends racing to read through each new book in school hours. Of course, there are people I know who hate them - I know someone who doesn't understand them, and some people who think they're too cool for the series nowadays. But overall its pretty much been a film series for a generation.

Twilight, I couldn't care less about. I quite enjoyed the first one, but the second one was awful and I couldn't be bothered watching the third properly. They're just embarassing, to be honest. I get the idea from people I know that unlike Potter, a lot of teenagers who enjoy them are simply enjoying them because its 'cool' to enjoy them. Potter is an odd craze for the fact its something a lot of people have liked both in their care free 8 year old days, and their cool-concious 18 year old days. Twilight seems more like something teens will grow to care less about over time. But maybe thats just because I can't get into it.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,998
    Forum Member
    How do you know that these people "aren't normally into films" just because they enjoy watching a franchise?

For all you know they could spend their spare time watching films that are considered "classics"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    How do you know that these people "aren't normally into films" just because they enjoy watching a franchise?

For all you know they could spend their spare time watching films that are considered "classics"

The OP didn't say it was exclusively people who aren't normally into films that are interested in these franchises they're asking why a lot of non-film fans love these franchises such as many people I know.
    For Twilight I think it's mostly people having crushes on the main cast and teenage girls wanting their own Edward Cullen but for Harry Potter I think it's the whole magical world thing and the fact that it's been around for so long. Also many people can empathise with the very realistic characters and people just love the storylines.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it more annoying how people who have never read any of the books insist on booking tickets ASAP then spend half the film asking people who have read the books what happens next, watch the bloody film and see!
  • merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a Harry Potter fan, but like many others I feel the books are head and shoulders above the films in quality. Yet I still felt the need to see each film on it's release date, to see how well (or not) the story had been interpreted.

For me the fascination was watching my youngest grow up with the stories/films. Those that have grown with it have had a unique experience in following a story changing and developing alongside their own development. Unlike future readers/watchers who can obtain the entire series of books and films.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,998
    Forum Member
    unclekevo wrote: »
    I find it more annoying how people who have never read any of the books insist on booking tickets ASAP then spend half the film asking people who have read the books what happens next, watch the bloody film and see!

Me too.
  • thedarklordthedarklord Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unclekevo wrote: »

This happened to me yesterday when me and my friends went to see Deathly Hallows Part 2. None of them had read any of the books or seen the previous films, it was only because I wanted to see the film that they actually came.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really into film and I can tolerate Harry Potter fans mainly because I actually enjoy those films but Twilight fans really do get on my nerves. They honestly need to watch the lost boys or 30 days of night so they can see what REAL vampires are. In fact I've heard at this years comic-con the authors of the 30 days of night graphic novels are offering to trade copies of twilight books for the 30 days of night graphic novels as they're annoyed that vampires have wussy image now.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Y do adults who never normally read a book read Harry Potter ?
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the OP question has already been answered in that the Potter films attract a market of previous readers of the books. The earlier ones might not be much of a critical success in terms of acting. But it gets better each time. I tolerate them all the same because they all do their best. I think we've seen the rewards of that as time has gone on.

Rupert Grint was the most improved of the trio in my opinion.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    ...so they can see what REAL vampires are.

Oh dear, real ones you say? I better start sharpening those wooden stakes and add garlic topping to my next pizza. Maybe the authorities need to be alerted and the blood banks guarded. ;)

Personally, I fairly like the Potter films for the escapist fun that they are, as well as the fine acting by the wider cast. I couldn't take them too seriously, but then I expect most who like the films don't do that either. I read a bit, but I don't really intend to read the Potter books, because the genre, in general, isn't one that really captivates me (I'm fine with Pratchett, but even that doesn't grab hold of me). Still, who knows, maybe one day I'll do so, but it's way down my list of things to read.
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually find the whole Harry Potter theme, movies books and actors that star in the movies incredibly pompous and self congratulating in an over the top pretentious luvvie irritating way.:cool::p
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all about people's need to believe in and be part of something "amazing", being part of a fandom also gives a sense of belonging.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    I never understand why the two franchises are always compared. :confused: Even though Harry Potter is out, Twilight seems to enter into all the discussion too.
    They seem totally different to me.

I've watched Harry Potter but didn't find it that interesting or enthralling, shame because I usually like magic stuff. Maybe it's the kids. ;)
    I somehow managed to avoid the whole Twilight stuff, but recently I've watched the films and read the books and found them great escapism.
    Certainly I'm not obsessed with either, and I'm a straight guy so don't get off on the guys taking their tops off :D and I tend to concentrate on the action rather than the romance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    It's all about people's need to believe in and be part of something "amazing", being part of a fandom also gives a sense of belonging.

Harry Potter made the term fandom as it is now, when it first came out the internet was very much in it's infancy, I used to keep up to date with potter news on newsround before I discovered things like Mugglenet and LJ and now tumblr, twitter etc. I can remember how basic the first harry potter website was.

Twilight is brought into the argument as it's the only fandom that could attempt to rival potter, tbh I don't even think it touches it