Options

'Lad' Culture

Comments

• Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of these phrases aren't specifically owned by 'lads', they're used by teenagers in general. Apart from "banter" *shudder*
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    I don't mind most of this stuff, it comes and goes and is all part of the lingo.

What really does annoy me though, is English people saying 'my bad'. Firstly, it doesn't make any sense and secondly, it is the most American of Americanisms, therefore no English person has any business saying it!
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JimothyD wrote: »
    I don't mind most of this stuff, it comes and goes and is all part of the lingo.

What really does annoy me though, is English people saying 'my bad'. Firstly, it doesn't make any sense and secondly, it is the most American of Americanisms, therefore no English person has any business saying it!

I couldn't agree more, with this. Utterly vile.
  • Options
    Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your all just jel of there swag.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Lad culture is hardly new.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Lad culture, chav culture but with jobs to fund 'getin mashd brv,'
  • Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from "banter" *shudder*

Banter, to me, just suggests the jubilant conversation and merriment over drinks that blokes tend to engage in when they meet up. It invariably involves a bit of piss-taking and ribbing, and bragging rights for various successes, whether with women, a new car, a promotion, a pay rise, a canny sale etc

I get the impression that those who hate the notion of this do so because they couldn't imagine themselves as part of a male group, or being able to hold their own in that group, or being able to surrender to the inevitable ribbing or general tomfoolery that goes with it.

Inadequate misfits, in short.
  • Options
    Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and BOOM!!!!!!!!!...............

I love the advert as is sums up Lads culture in all it skin crawling patheticness.

It's funny as it's meant to be like that and hits the nail right on the head.

The silence is cringeworthy.
  • Options
    estrella★estrella★ Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fink wrote: »
    Banter, to me, just suggests the jubilant conversation and merriment over drinks that blokes tend to engage in when they meet up. It invariably involves a bit of piss-taking and ribbing, and bragging rights for various successes, whether with women, a new car, a promotion, a pay rise, a canny sale etc
    That sounds terminally dull... :yawn:
    I get the impression that those who hate the notion of this do so because they couldn't imagine themselves as part of a male group, or being able to hold their own in that group, or being able to surrender to the inevitable ribbing or general tomfoolery that goes with it.
    Whereas this just sounds a bit homoerotic. Where do you meet up with your lads, the local sauna?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sounds terminally dull... :yawn:

When you get some friends, you might feel different.
    Whereas this just sounds a bit homoerotic. Where do you meet up with your lads, the local sauna?

So that was you in the corner, with the small towel and the concave chest!
  • Options
    Uk LtdUk Ltd Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's drunk and flicking his fingers up in every photo, what a LAD!
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    How dare they use Nomnomnom! :mad: I like that one.

Itz jus pure bantz, init.

Nomnomnom just means that they like most 45-25 year olds grew up with the Cookie Monster. That's why I use it sometimes, not because I'm a idiot.
  • Options
    estrella★estrella★ Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that was you in the corner, with the small towel and the concave chest!
    Yeah, I was having a good time until you lot started holding your own, bragging about your rises and surrendering to each other :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I was having a good time until you lot started holding your own, bragging about your rises and surrendering to each other :D

All mates together and that <kisses bicep and flicks towel at estrella>
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the general sentiments of that article, but my God, the writer comes across as just as much of a pillock as the people he's satirising. He does make some good points though - YOLO in particular is horrible!
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Banter, stick, fella, get in there, sweet as.....shudder. :eek:
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, that blogger is one angry puppy.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    some funny points but its so obvious the author has no male friends and would dearly like some

poor chap
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    some funny points but its so obvious the author has no male friends and would dearly like some

poor chap

Indeed. As the gayers on here are fond of saying, the more vigorously you denounce something, the more you secretly wish you were part of it. I expect the poor sod has to sit around with a bunch of women and 'nice guys', discussing post feminism and how insensitive men are over glasses of Chardonnay. There should be a support group for these poor pussy-whipped chaps where they can be instructed in the art of banter (whoops, did some of you 'shudder' there?:D), shouting at televised football, lighting farts, hard drinking and ripping the piss out of each other.

C'mon estrella, you know you'd secretly love to.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. As the gayers on here are fond of saying, the more vigorously you denounce something, the more you secretly wish you were part of it. I expect the poor sod has to sit around with a bunch of women and 'nice guys', discussing post feminism and how insensitive men are over glasses of Chardonnay. There should be a support group for these poor pussy-whipped chaps where they can be instructed in the art of banter (whoops, did some of you 'shudder' there?:D), shouting at televised football, lighting farts, hard drinking and ripping the piss out of each other.

Trying to explain how blokes have to surrender to the piss taking (which simply means taking it on the chin and laughing instead of sulking about it) had estrella immediately conjure up images of greased up men mounting each other in a sauna, unsurprisingly. :p
  • Options
    estrella&#9733;estrella&#9733; Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There should be a support group for these poor pussy-whipped chaps where they can be instructed in the art of banter (whoops, did some of you 'shudder' there?:D), shouting at televised football, lighting farts, hard drinking and ripping the piss out of each other.

Thanks for the offer of hanging out with you and the other kids down the skate park, but I'm gonna have to give it a miss.
    Trying to explain how blokes have to surrender to the piss taking (which simply means taking it on the chin)
    Blapping, right? How did I know you and the sauna crew would be into that ;)
  • Options
    CrimsonmonCrimsonmon Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the gayers

Really?
  • Options
    Bobbity-booBobbity-boo Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crimsonmon wrote: »
    Really?

Says a lot, don't it?
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Crimsonmon wrote: »
    Really?

Oh dear. Context not your strong point, is it?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Urgh, that post makes me realise why I don't hang around with 'lads'.

I still would though! :o:D