The Joni Mitchell appreciation thread.

That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I couldn't locate a thread for dear Joni so apologies if there already is one. I've always enjoyed her music but after getting a boxset for my birthday, I've completely fallen in love.

I know I'm late to the party but better late than never. I love Clouds and Blue at the moment.

Any other fans floating around?

Comments

• BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    I have only listened to Court and Spark but it's a brilliant album, folk and jazz, a great blend and I've been meaning to listen to more of her stuff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BadKid95 wrote: »
    I have only listened to Court and Spark but it's a brilliant album, folk and jazz, a great blend and I've been meaning to listen to more of her stuff

I actually think 'Court and Spark' is one of the weakest albums of her early career, though plenty would disagree with me. If you enjoy that album though you should definitely check out more - 'Blue' is one of the great confessional singer/songwriter albums, and 'Ladies of the Canyon' is another classic in a similar style. If you want more of her jazzy sound, try 'The Hissing of Summer Lawns', which takes the jazz influences of 'Court and Spark' but is more experimental, with fantastic results.
  • That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listened to Ladies of the Canyon yesterday. What an gorgeous piece of work.
  • Madonna38Madonna38 Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joni is one of my all time favourite artists.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a relative late-comer to Joni's work. I remember a friend playing 'Blue' a lot when I was a student and vaguely liking it, but never bought anything until I heard a sound-byte of 'Slouching Towards Bethlehem' on the Travelogue set of orchestral reworks of her songs, with her in a deeper voice.

It blew me away and then I've started (slowly) to acquire some of her albums. I don't have all of them yet, I need time to let each album 'wash' over me (sounds pretentious, but I cant think of any better term to describe it!).

My fav's so far are Hissing Of The Summer Lawns, Hejira & Don Juan & His Reckless daughter.

She's great.:)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Became a fan of this year

I adore her and have been listening to her non stop since January. Clouds and Blue have already become two of my all time fav albums ever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listening to Blue today. <3
    Forum Member
    Listened to Blue a couple of days back, just beautiful, Little Green and River are highlights for me but a strong album in full
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm only short 2 Joni albums now. Shine and the one before it! Is it called Travelogue or something?
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,171
    Forum Member
    Joni fan here... she has recorded some of the best songs ever - both sides now, case of you, river, big yellow taxi .... I also adore her husky voice now .... and the orchestral album re-imagining of songs is beautiful.
    Forum Member
    I've only listened to Blue, For The Roses and Court And Spark but I've fallen in love with Joni Mitchell what a talent she is and I agree boysforpele she has made some stunning music
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Joni of course. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joni fan here... she has recorded some of the best songs ever - both sides now, case of you, river, big yellow taxi .... I also adore her husky voice now .... and the orchestral album re-imagining of songs is beautiful.
    Is that Travelogue or Both Sides Now?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    I recommend "The Hissing of Summer Lawns" as a great Joni Album. Outside that "For Free" from Ladies of the Canyon would be my personal favourite.
  • Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Is that Travelogue or Both Sides Now?

"Travelogue" features orchestral re-workings of songs from her career. "Both Sides Now" features orchestral re-workings of A Case of You and Both Sides Now, all the other songs on the album are cover songs and standards.
  • Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I've been on a big Joni Mitchell binge this last week. Later albums like Dog Eat Dog, Chalk Mark in a Rain Storm, Night Ride Home and Turbulent Indigo are well worth checking out if you haven't already.
    Forum Member
    Listened to Ladies of the Canyon a few days ago, I enjoyed it, obviously Big Yellow Taxi is a stand out but the one I really like is The Circle Game, so beautiful, first class songwriting right there!
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recommend "The Hissing of Summer Lawns" as a great Joni Album. Outside that "For Free" from Ladies of the Canyon would be my personal favourite.
    Excellent version of For Free when she visited the UK in the summer of 1970 and appeared on British TV for the first time.The album LOTC surprised most of her fans when she revealed that she played piano as well as as her guitar.Until then she had kind of kept it a secret.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StugAUy7hsc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listening to the Both Sides Now album for the first time. Gorgeous. What a difference in her voice!
    Forum Member
    Just listened to Hejira, wow that was excellent. I could sense that Joni wrote that album whilst on a car journey, it came through very much through the lyrics and music. Coyote, Furry Sings the Blues and Blue Motel Room are highlights for me :)
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my favourite joni albums are

Ladies Of The Canyon and The Hissing Of Summer Lawns

and i've always loved Song To A Seagull cause that's when i first heard the best female voice ever, imo
  • Cat SimonCat Simon Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In 1987, I was a massive Madonna fan, and read a quote where she said "Court And Spark" was her bible for a year back in the 70s, so I thought I'd try it out.
    I'm not a Madonna fan anymore, but "Court And Spark" is one of my all-time favourite albums, so, thanks Madonna!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been a fan of Joni since the late 70s. My absolute favourite album of hers is Hejira, closely followed by The Hissing Of Summer Lawns and Don Juan's Reckless Daughter - I do love the jazz-folk fusion going on there, plus the lyrical themes and just the whole mood of each of these albums. My favourite songs/tracks from other albums include Chelsea Morning, For Free, Woodstock, River, and The Wolf That Lives In Lynsey (from the Mingus album).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First time listening to Mingus tonight. Very interesting.