Friday headliners - Foo Fighters.

Just announced: Saturday headliner - Kanye West

Sunday - TBA.

Ye is coming!

Comments

• TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! :o

Why have they done this? :( I can accept artists I think are crap headlining Glastonbury, after all taste is subjective... but Kanye is such a massive tool, and based on past experience, could well use the opportunity to rant about his life rather than perform music. Terrible booking IMO!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Hopefully there'll be a good film on on the other side.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whatever you think about him you know he'll put on an insane show!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Could be Glasto's first televised bottling. Might be worth a watch.
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »

Exactly. Cue people that have no clue complaining about him being booked. You just know we will get a similar situation like when Jay-Z got announced - let the guy actually perform first before you have a whinge.
  • Nick_DKNick_DK Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think this similar to Jay Z at all. Yeah you'll get some old has-been rockstars whinging about hip hop but this is different. Kanye is a clown and he'll bring his clown show with him. Last festival he was at he spent 30mins ranting and got booed. If he sticks to his music it will work but he won't.
    Forum Member
    Nick_DK wrote: »
    I don't think this similar to Jay Z at all. Yeah you'll get some old has-been rockstars whinging about hip hop but this is different. Kanye is a clown and he'll bring his clown show with him. Last festival he was at he spent 30mins ranting and got booed. If he sticks to his music it will work but he won't.

Exactly! I'm no fan of Kanye but a set of his biggest hits with some new stuff and maybe one or two surprise guests would go down brilliantly. I'm more concerned he'll start moaning about how hard his life is or that people don't take his wife seriously and end up wasting valuable time on stage that other acts would use to actually play some music!

I don't think he is as big as some people make out either; Wireless festival didn't sell out when he headlined last year (I think his day sold least tickets of the three) and I think his last UK arena tour also sold poorly. Not a strong headliner at all IMO.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tejas wrote: »
    Exactly! I'm no fan of Kanye but a set of his biggest hits with some new stuff and maybe one or two surprise guests would go down brilliantly. I'm more concerned he'll start moaning about how hard his life is or that people don't take his wife seriously and end up wasting valuable time on stage that other acts would use to actually play some music!

That's the best way to go. Let the music speak for itself. Hopefully some wise people will have a word in his ear and tell him if he wants to deliver then just play the hits. Plus it's Kanye, so you KNOW he'll bring out some special guests. I fully expect Rihanna to be there.

His last UK tour was with Jay-Z wasn't it? He only played like 4/5 dates if i remember correctly (all in England) so he hasn't done a full solo UK tour in years.
    Not a strong headliner at all IMO.

His new album will be released before he performs at Glastonbury. He'll be a very strong headliner in the current musical climate.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His new album will be released before he performs at Glastonbury. He'll be a very strong headliner in the current musical climate.
    Looking at his discography, his last two albums sold well here so he has a solid fanbase it seems. I haven't listened to an album of his before but I will watch and judge
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,787
    Forum Member
    Kanye is a huge star. I'd say he is bigger in this country now than Jay-Z was when he performed at Glastonbury.
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kanye is a huge star. I'd say he is bigger in this country now than Jay-Z was when he performed at Glastonbury.

Bang on.

His records are popular whilst also being hugely critically acclaimed. He's an oddball, known for bizarre unpredictable outbursts. He puts on an incredibly intense live show. He's an absolute dream for the Glasto organisers.

It's nice to see an artists at his peak performing as a headlining act rather than a spent force firing out a bunch of hits from the good old days.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a pile of pants. Glastonbury has totally lost its identity, its direction and everything about it which once made it great.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bang on.

His records are popular whilst also being hugely critically acclaimed. He's an oddball, known for bizarre unpredictable outbursts. He puts on an incredibly intense live show. He's an absolute dream for the Glasto organisers.

It's nice to see an artists at his peak performing as a headlining act rather than a spent force firing out a bunch of hits from the good old days.

I like his music but I saw him at the O2 a while back and it wasn't an impressive show. As far as I could see it was just him on a huge stage, no band, no stagecraft, no attempt to engage with the audience. That kind of show would be a disaster at a festival so let's hope he has something special lined up for Glastonbury.
  • Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I like his music but I saw him at the O2 a while back and it wasn't an impressive show. As far as I could see it was just him on a huge stage, no band, no stagecraft, no attempt to engage with the audience. That kind of show would be a disaster at a festival so let's hope he has something special lined up for Glastonbury.

When was the show?

I've heard only good things about his shows for Yeezus. Haven't seen himself myself though.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When was the show?

I've heard only good things about his shows for Yeezus. Haven't seen himself myself though.

I did say it was a while back - turns out it was probably the 2008 Glow In The Dark tour. I vaguely remember reading rave reviews of the US dates during that tour but I think we got a cut-down version in the UK with less spectacle and without the big-name support acts like N.E.R.D.
  • Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think he is as big as some people make out either; Wireless festival didn't sell out when he headlined last year (I think his day sold least tickets of the three) and I think his last UK arena tour also sold poorly. Not a strong headliner at all IMO.

To me, the man is just an attention-seeker.

Don't forget the time when he ended up being booed by the audience at a concert in Sydney when he started to criticise wheelchair fans for not getting up on their feet when he asked for the fans to stand up.

I have also mentioned this before on a previous post, but I could not understand why The Brits allowed Kanye West to perform a song that contained so much bad language and frequent use of the 'n' word. Lionel Richie rightfully criticised him for the inappropriate use of that word.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday headliners - Foo Fighters.

Just announced: Saturday headliner - Kanye West

Sunday - TBA.

Ye is coming!

DS are suggesting it could be Adele or Madonna! But then again, it's easy to suggest anyone isn't it? It could also be Prince Charles singing Gaga songs!
  • Nick_DKNick_DK Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eavis said there will be more female acts, yeah Madonna with a new album out has been rumored. Taylor Swift has been rumored too. But can you have a Glastonbury without a British act headlining at least 1 of the 3 nights? So Adele might be a the best bet even though she said in the past Glastonbury isn't for her because of the large crowd. Maybe she has changed her mind.
  • Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    DS are suggesting it could be Adele or Madonna! But then again, it's easy to suggest anyone isn't it? It could also be Prince Charles singing Gaga songs!

Madonna would be incredible. She is at her best at concerts like this. I really hope its her but I'm not getting my hopes up. Madonna fans are usually quick on the pulse and there hasn't been anything mentioned online has there?
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,787
    Forum Member
    Thom001 wrote: »

Don't forget the time when he ended up being booed by the audience at a concert in Sydney when he started to criticise wheelchair fans for not getting up on their feet when he asked for the fans to stand up.

I have also mentioned this before on a previous post, but I could not understand why The Brits allowed Kanye West to perform a song that contained so much bad language and frequent use of the 'n' word. Lionel Richie rightfully criticised him for the inappropriate use of that word.

He didn't realise they were in wheelchairs, it was an unfortunate mistake.

As for the N word, that's a completely different debate.
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm certainly not a fan of the man, or of his more recent music, but if he performed the likes of All Fall Down, Jesus Walks, Through The Wire etc then I'd tune in for those.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not really:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »

Micheal Eavis has confirmed it wont be Adele, great news!
    Forum Member
    Thom001 wrote: »

I think it was claimed that Kanye had agreed to perform a clean version of 'All Day' at the Brits - but obviously he didn't! I do think though that award shows and festivals are only encouraging this idiot by booking him, which gives him the attention he craves. Maybe if people stopped humouring him he might come to realise that the world doesn't revolve around him and his wife! Personally I want to see artists who respect their fans and try to put on the best show they possibly can... if Kanye does that then fine, but he's so unreliable it could be car crash.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gold2040 wrote: »
    Looking at his discography, his last two albums sold well here so he has a solid fanbase it seems. I haven't listened to an album of his before but I will watch and judge

And I doubt many will have bought Glastonbury tickets. The man's an idiot.