Options

Arrival - Great Movie!

seosamhseosamh Posts: 3,349
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just saw it today - really thoughtful, smart, surprising, well-acted hard sci-fi with a message. Well recomended :)

Comments

• Options
    Society619Society619 Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    Complete Different Opinion Here

Arrival is muddy narrative mixed with a confusion plot dipped in some nice visuals. A film that tries to be too smart for its own good while making political undertones but can’t even cover its own plot holes to come to a satisfying conclusion. Amy Adams give a good emotional performance but honestly she can only do so much with what she is given. Director Denis Villeneuve does the best with what he haves and almost is able to salvage a passable movie but I put the blame on the screenwriter for coming up with a poor adaption to a short story.

https://society-reviews.com/2016/11/11/arrival-review/
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How strange.... I've only read good reviews!! :o:p
  • Options
    Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC's Film 2016 thoroughly enjoyed it too.
    I'll be going to see it next Tuesday.
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen it and I enjoyed it. It was slightly confusing in parts, but everything gets cleared up. It's a very emotional film and I had to hold in my tears by the end.
  • Options
    ScooterwolfScooterwolf Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great film, good to see a strong sci-fi 'alien' type movie.
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    Just seen it and I enjoyed it. It was slightly confusing in parts, but everything gets cleared up. It's a very emotional film and I had to hold in my tears by the end.

Did you get the lightbulb moment where everything made sense and the film kinda flipped on its head a bit?

I saw it on Thursday afternoon, really enjoyed it. I wouldn't agree that it moved me to tears, but it was a very touching and well performed film.
  • Options
    Nattie01Nattie01 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pucky wrote: »
    Did you get the lightbulb moment where everything made sense and the film kinda flipped on its head a bit?

I saw it on Thursday afternoon, really enjoyed it. I wouldn't agree that it moved me to tears, but it was a very touching and well performed film.

I thought it was really good . Amy Adams was outstanding. I realised what the plot reveal was going to be when Louise told her daughter to ask her father to help with her homework question.
  • Options
    seosamhseosamh Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Society619 wrote: »
    Complete Different Opinion Here

Arrival is muddy narrative mixed with a confusion plot dipped in some nice visuals. A film that tries to be too smart for its own good while making political undertones but can’t even cover its own plot holes to come to a satisfying conclusion. Amy Adams give a good emotional performance but honestly she can only do so much with what she is given. Director Denis Villeneuve does the best with what he haves and almost is able to salvage a passable movie but I put the blame on the screenwriter for coming up with a poor adaption to a short story.

https://society-reviews.com/2016/11/11/arrival-review/

Rotten Tomatoes - 93%
    IMDB - 8.5
    Empire - 5 Stars
    Kermode loved it

You've found the one contrarian - the definition of there's always one isn't there
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    It's a good film but not a great film that the reviews have said it is but well worth a watch!

I guessed part of it when they showed Louise scenes with her daughter shown at the start and the father of her daughter was so obvious!

It's an interesting bit of sci-fi though!

3.5/5
  • Options
    PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great movie, it's always good to see some cerebral sci-fi get some mainstream attention. I looked up the OST on Spotify, but it doesn't have all the music :(
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    seosamh wrote: »
    Rotten Tomatoes - 93%
    IMDB - 8.5
    Empire - 5 Stars
    Kermode loved it

You've found the one contrarian - the definition of there's always one isn't there
    There's always someone spouting this kind of rubbish as well.
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nattie01 wrote: »
    I thought it was really good . Amy Adams was outstanding. I realised what the plot reveal was going to be when Louise told her daughter to ask her father to help with her homework question.

The homework scene confirmed my suspicion and the major light bulb moment actually made my suspicion make sense :p
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else think "Cthulhu" when they saw the aliens?
  • Options
    Society619Society619 Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    seosamh wrote: »
    Rotten Tomatoes - 93%
    IMDB - 8.5
    Empire - 5 Stars
    Kermode loved it

I know right, who I'm I to form my own opinion and not just go with everyone else?
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have not yet seen it, but my elder son did and he
    thought it was terrible, except for Amy Adams who
    he told me, was good. I will withold my opinions until
    such time as I have personally viewed it, but I have to
    say that it looks like the kind of film I WOULD enjoy!
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it but found the ending a bit of a let-down and the 'sci-fi' element is actually pretty poor on reflection. I'd call it a personal melodrama dressed up on some pseudo sci-fi and the 'message' the film is trying to convey is a bit confused really.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm sitting in the cinema now waiting for it to start ..
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »

I thought that they were actually modelled on a hand..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No :)

i'm just on my way home from seeing it and i'm still a bit confused. If that moment is what i think it is, it feels more like an "oh.....ok then" rather than a "whoooooah" sort of revelation. i shall have to mull it over some more
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The film and story it's based on reminded me too much of Star Trek DS9; particularly the pilot episode Emissary which had a strong emotional focus on existence, loss, etc
  • Options
    SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it yesterday and I'd agree with those saying that it's a good movie rather than a great one. Good enjoyable proper science fiction film where you're asked to think about things rather than sit back and watch stuff blowing up.

Some people will certainly come out of the cinema disappointed because the trailers managed to keep the actual storyline hidden and so you don't quite know what you're getting. I personally considered that a big positive.

Some plot holes in there (or at least stuff they did to progress the story that didn't ring quite true) but if you're still thinking about and emotionally involved with what you just saw 20 minutes later then I call that a good film.

Amy Adams was excellent.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy Adams is terrific, but the rest of the central cast are wasted really as they are little more than cardboard cut outs given precious little to do. I also felt that the concept, underneath the smoke and mirrors, is actually pretty thin and that the film had some real pacing issues. That said, it did have an emotional sucker punch of an ending.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that i'm home and i've read the synopsis on Wikipedia that confirms my suspicions, I do now "get it", and I do agree that it's good - very good even - but not great.
  • Options
    fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having read Chiang's story recently I am both looking forward to and dreading seeing the movie. The story is a little intellectual gem about causal v teleological world views and their relation to language. It is the essence of the plot that nothing really happens, there can be no surprises: everything is known from the beginning. People used to say that Cloud Atlas was unfilmable, but surely not as much so as this. To make it filmable (as I understand) events have been added to the movie - nuclear threats, earth space ship etc. - that were not merely not in the original story but which are quite at odds with everything the story is about. Hence my reservations about the movie which I shall nevertheless be sure to see.

People often complain that movie aliens are just people in funny costumes. They think like people, act and react like people, are usually bipedal with two of everything physiologically. They think like we do - serially in terms of action and consequences. Unusually Arrival and the story it derives from postulate aliens who are fundamentally different from humans. Whether you do so before or after seeing the movie, I strongly recommend reading the story. You may find as I did that the only way to explain to someone what the story is about is to persuade them to read it for themselves.
  • Options
    TaintedmeatTaintedmeat Posts: 1,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »

Could do without the spoilers please