Options

Apple TV

I am considering buying an Apple TV. Very occasionally, I find there is some American on Sky I would like to watch (which, for a 24 episode run would cost about £30, or for Sky over £60). I have failed - surprisingly - to get adequate answers from Apple.

Firstly, is there much content from major channels available on Apple TV? Is the general rule that TV programmes become available soon after original broadcast, or in time with DVD rentals?

With an incredibly slow broadband connection, how would Apple TV work? Would it buffer for a while (HD), could I paude the stream manually overnight etc?

Comments

• Options
    CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidredge wrote: »
    I am considering buying an Apple TV. Very occasionally, I find there is some American on Sky I would like to watch (which, for a 24 episode run would cost about £30, or for Sky over £60). I have failed - surprisingly - to get adequate answers from Apple.

Firstly, is there much content from major channels available on Apple TV? Is the general rule that TV programmes become available soon after original broadcast, or in time with DVD rentals?

With an incredibly slow broadband connection, how would Apple TV work? Would it buffer for a while (HD), could I paude the stream manually overnight etc?
    In the UK, Apple TV doesn't do TV shows. You'd have to buy them on iTunes and then stream them to the Apple TV.

iTunes has pretty much every major show you can think of, but they can be pricey. Ugly Betty is £40 for a HD season.
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    In the UK, Apple TV doesn't do TV shows. You'd have to buy them on iTunes and then stream them to the Apple TV.

iTunes has pretty much every major show you can think of, but they can be pricey. Ugly Betty is £40 for a HD season.

I find that odd, why not enable it? i mean if we can buy off itunes....

also the us has netflix, why can't we have lovefilm?

Also I think bbc iplayer etc etc wouldn't be too hard to put in
  • Options
    lmddawsonlmddawson Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    There's a lot of things missing off the Apple TV. I only use mine as a music player through the home sharing on my iTunes.
  • Options
    jthspacejthspace Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    You can jailbreak it, the same as an iPhone or iPad and load additional software that will access other services.

Google for more details.

However, most services will check the i.p. address and if it is outside the U.S. it will block the service. This is due to licencing restrictions of the programme makers. Which is why iPlayer will only work in the U.K. for example and why Sky cards are (officially) only available to U.K. residents.

Jeff
  • Options
    djcrdjcr Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Our 1st gen Apple TV let's us purchase TV shows directly on it without the need for streaming from iTunes at all. Plus we've jailbroken it so we've got XBMC and Boxee on it and added functionality which the ATV 2nd gen gets but which Apple no longer support for the 1st gen.
    With the build in hard drive which the new Apple TV lacks you can store as many as you like too so you can go to bed and resume where you left it next time.
    There's plenty still available on eBay so might be worth a look.
  • Options
    gonefishingonefishin Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Apparently...

New York Times, 26 Aug 11
  • Options
    Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi! All
    First and in answer to the ops question and while you do have to purchase through ITunes it does not mean you have to purchase on a computer, I have an Apple TV box the first gen and it has a TV Shows section as well as Fims with quite a bit of HD content as well as a Music section.

You can also send your photos to Apple TV as well as see You Tube content and listen to quite a few radio stations and pod casts, and you can purchase via the Apple TV box.

Now I have a question regarding Apple TV which I hope someone will be able to answer although it is an odd problem, the Apple TV box appars to be working alright apart from the fact that for some strange reason the music list has gone funny.

All I have been able to do since Saturday is enter My Music and that is the only option I have had, so is it just me with a problem or have others had the same problem.

I have tried unplugging the box and plugging it back in again as well as signing out and signing back in again but with no change, so are Apple maybe re-doing the music list?.

I look forward to answers.

Thanks in advance.