Options

Given the moon and sun are round why did it.......

12346»

Comments

• Options
    belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    I think you may be going out on a limb there. Flat footed as well with the squircle.

I'm working on the premise that the word squircle is so fantastic it has to be applied to something wondrous and I bags the Universe. For the record, my arches are perfect and nothing that shoe inserts wouldn't rectify.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm working on the premise that the word squircle is so fantastic it has to be applied to something wondrous and I bags the Universe. For the record, my arches are perfect and nothing that shoe inserts wouldn't rectify.

Squircle will probably be a next gen pokemon. :p
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MeanMint wrote: »
    I have re-read my posts and at no time did I say I believed the earth to be flat, I was putting forward some simple questions that crop up when you google Flat Earth. Doing that then side tracks you to fake photos of the Earth and as I said the images from NASA are doctored to allow for different factors of the image.
    But you didn't tell us if you were satisfied with the answers you received about why composite images are so useful, and why they don't conceal fundamental truths.
    In future I shall be very careful in any comments I make on these boards, more than likely not make any further comment as I have been labelled a wind up merchant and a troll.

Presumably I won't be missed :cry:
    I gave you the benefit of the doubt, as did others. I'll continue to do so, unless and until the evidence becomes compelling that you aren't being entirely straight with us. Questioning orthodoxy is fine. It's how we learn, and seemingly "stupid" questions often lead to interesting discussions. The problem comes when people are so wedded to a particular position (usually religious) that they point-blank-refuse to entertain the notion that their certainty might be misplaced.
  • Options
    MinaHMinaH Posts: 3,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MeanMint wrote: »
    You guys win, you are far more intelligent than myself.

I have re-read my posts and at no time did I say I believed the earth to be flat, I was putting forward some simple questions that crop up when you google Flat Earth. Doing that then side tracks you to fake photos of the Earth and as I said the images from NASA are doctored to allow for different factors of the image.

In future I shall be very careful in any comments I make on these boards, more than likely not make any further comment as I have been labelled a wind up merchant and a troll.

Presumably I won't be missed :cry:
    It has nothing to do with winners and losers. It has nothing to do with one person being more intelligent than another person. It has everything to do with showing a bit of common courtesy to those that made an effort to explain things that you yourself declared you had difficulty understanding.

You told us there were certain "facts" that you found strange, certain "facts" that didn't quite add up for you under a "round" earth scenario. There was a clear inference that for you some of the flat-Earthers did make some valid claims - claims that could only be understood under a flat Earth scenario. You told us you weren't necessarily convinced that the Earth was flat but it did make you wonder.

Now the issue was when some of the people took your comment seriously and took the time and effort to explain the "facts" you raised were in fact either untrue or due to something other than the earth being flat, you didn't acknowledge or show any appreciation of their efforts, nor did you engage positively with what they had to say.

Rather you either ignored their response or came up with a negative response as to how something could be faked - e.g. fish-eye lenses, composite images.

This type of engagement with a thread, ignoring valid responses, claiming potential fakery - all for the sake of defending a nonsense notion (flat earth in this case) is "winding up", it is "trolling".

What you could have done is to have responded along the lines of: "Sorry, I didn't intend to wind you up, I appreciate the time and effort you put in explaining some of the things that I found strange".

I myself tend not to take these things personally. I look at comments, if for some reason it engages me, then I will respond to that comment and perhaps get involved in a discussion - which is what has happened here. On the whole it has all been a rather harmless interaction.