Options

New Radio 5 Live schedule

Comments

• Options
    Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Tuesdays and Thursday afternoons when driving home from a part time job, I listen out for the news and sport at 230............. or whatever time Bacon can be bothered to let that broadcast happen.

Otherwise I listen to the Coast.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    I have taken to listening to Radio 4 via podcasts or iPlayer.
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Colin Murray in for Gobby this week, so completely unlistenable. I can't take more than 20 minutes of Bacon.

I think the secret plan was to boost Radio 3 & 4, and in my case it is working. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    now reviewing tv with the editor of Heat.

Jesus.

The TV reviews were done with the editor of Heat when Simon Mayo did them so this is not a new Bacon thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    Hey did you know that Bacon has 4 webcams in his studio - he never mentions them (much)
  • Options
    m06een00m06een00 Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Bacon's topic of the day: "Who is better dressed? Me or Colin Murray?"

Unmissable radio. :rolleyes:
    Reminds me of when he was doing the night time programme, he asked listeners what's your favourite chocolate biscuit, inviting them to ring or text in. It went on for an hour, probably the most inane radio I ever heard, although there's so much of that now, not just Bacon. Duh!! :o
  • Options
    Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    now reviewing tv with the editor of Heat.
    Jesus.

Jesus is the new editor of Heat??? Its the second coming! Let everyone know!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    I fancy something a bit more hard hitting, what time is the 'biscuit of the day' feature on?

I think I might text in on the new 'Wot I Rekon' textline: 66666
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having put fivelive on by mistake in the daytime am I correct that it goes Stephen Nolan, Colin Murray, Richard Bacon?

dumb,dumber,dumbest...
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The daily children's tales from "Wiggly Park" on the original Radio 5 had more credibility than the current output. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    The "banter" between Gabby Logan and George Riley is excruciating - forced, banal and totally inappropriate - book-ending a serious report about terminal cancer.

Totally unprofessional.

Agreed. It's just embarrassing.

GL: "So George, have you got a date tonight?

GR: "Err"

GL: "250, 000 people feared dead in Haiti..."

GL: "So who is the lucky girl? Eh? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink"

Etc etc

It's the Norn' Ireland mafia this week with Nolan followed by Murry!

I'm amazed how much I'm missing Mayo. I took him for granted before but it shows how great he was. He was calm and considered, asked interesting questions. Just a really good broadcaster.

The worst thing about Bacon is that he appears to have just discovered mobile phones and the internet. "I'm obsessed by Twitter". "I'm obsessed by Aps". He's completely self-obsessed but he's got nothing to say.

There's a new "feature" once a week looking into an aspect of American "culture". Why? I've nothing against American's or American culture but we're already saturated with it.

Last week's special feature? The Oscars! Never heard of them before!
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Groundhog wrote: »
    Agreed. It's just embarrassing.

GL: "So George, have you got a date tonight?

GL: "250, 000 people feared dead in Haiti..."

GL: "So who is the lucky girl? Eh? Nudge, nudge, wink, wink"

Etc etc

It's the Norn' Ireland mafia this week with Nolan followed by Murry!

I'm amazed how much I'm missing Mayo. I took him for granted before but it shows how great he was. He was calm and considered, asked interesting questions. Just a really good broadcaster.

The worst thing about Bacon is that he appears to have just discovered mobile phones and the internet. "I'm obsessed by Twitter". "I'm obsessed by Aps". He's completely self-obsessed but he's got nothing to say.

There's a new "feature" once a week looking into an aspect of American "culture". Why? I've nothing against American's or American culture but we're already saturated with it.

Last week's special feature? The Oscars! Never heard of them before!

Yes 5Live is beginning to sound more and more like Radio Ulster with Nolan and Murray. Happily other commitments mean I never hear Bacon. Had to laugh this morning when George Riley announced that Guus Huddink is ''officially a Turkey'' when I think he was trying to say ''officially manager of Turkey''. Roll on four o'clock and the excellent Peter Allen.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diablo wrote: »
    Colin Murray in for Gobby this week, so completely unlistenable. I can't take more than 20 minutes of Bacon.

I think the secret plan was to boost Radio 3 & 4, and in my case it is working. :)

I don't mind Colin is small doses but he's becoming Mr Five Live - he's hardly off the station. Is he that desparate for the overtime?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bacon seems to be developing a strange interview technique. He chats with a guest about their work/former roles etc. Normally focussing much more on the past (much to the frustration of some of his guests) Then he mentions that we're running out of time. And then with 1 minute left he suddenly, apropo of nothing, veers into politics.

Vinnie Jones - "You support fox hunting don't you? You're a conservative, aren't you?

Then today with John Ratzenberger (played Cliff Clavin in Cheers). "You're a republican, aren't you".

It just seems weird. Politically I suspect I'm closer to Bacon than the above two but it feels odd and completely out of place. More like sixth form radio than anything.
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    What's happened to the Sports panel?

Personally, I wish Mayo had remained at 5Live to do that, just on Fridays between 1 and 2 before his movie show.

I can't bear Logan, she seems like some bossy head girl type.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Gabby still does the sports panel. Same time as before. She does one on Monday too to discuss the weekend sport.

I actually like her as a broadcaster but not liking the format. Flirting with George Riley etc. Although I'm critical of Bacon I don't think he's completely hopeless either but I guess they're still finding their feet. It just seems that when they're bad, they're REALLY bad. I could say that about all the presenters. Maybe I'm listening to the wrong station. :p
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five Live will need to make adjustments to their weekend schedule next season.

They've lost the contracts to the 32 5.30pm Saturday games and 32 1.30pm Sunday games in the Premier League to talkSPORT.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,059
    Forum Member
    Five Live will need to make adjustments to their weekend schedule next season.

They've lost the contracts to the 32 5.30pm Saturday games and 32 1.30pm Sunday games in the Premier League to talkSPORT.

On Saturday things will go back to how they were I guess, Sports Report at 5, and 606 starting at 6.06pm!

Sunday may be a little trickier for them, maybe more Sports discussion and coverage of stuff like rugby.

Re the comments about Mayo, am also really missing his show. The content of Logan and Bacon's shows just seems so banal.
  • Options
    psmpsm Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    redvers36 wrote: »
    Having put fivelive on by mistake in the daytime am I correct that it goes Stephen Nolan, Colin Murray, Richard Bacon?

dumb,dumber,dumbest...

....though there may be some dispute about their relative rankings they are all lousy presenters, with abrasive voices and styles, and the collective reason that I no longer listen to much of 5live.
  • Options
    Ross RevengeRoss Revenge Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Like another poster, I too have found I've gradually drifted away from Five Live since the schedule shake up. No hissy fit, just a gradual, almost subconscious tune away from the station. I don't recall ever tuning out of any of Mayo's programmes, but with Bacon it became daily until I found I was tuned to other stations by default and have now pretty much left 5 Live behind.

I can't remember any particular item to put me off, just the general banality I guess. And that daily mind numbing phone in about removing cats piss from carpets and the like. FFS.

I don't think Bacon is a particularly bad broadcaster- it's just that we were a bit spoilt by Mayo's superb standards. Plus the fact that Bacon is completely self obsessed (and never stops banging on about Twatter). OK, then, maybe he is a bad broadcaster!

On the plus side- I've re-aquainted myself with BBC World Service as well as R4 as a consequence of 5live's demise - some real hidden gems on both stations as I guess most folks on here are fully aware.
  • Options
    europeantoureuropeantour Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose the proof of the pudding is in the eating for me.

I used to regularly listen to Mayo, but almost without realising I've stopped listening to Radio 5 in the afternoon. I haven't listened to Bacon since the Vinnie Jones interview.

I didn't storm of in a huff or anything, I've just sort of drifted away. I also find that I'm not listening to as much of the output after Bacon and Logan either; simply because I happen to be listening to other things.

I haven't gone back to TS either, although I listen to a download of H & J. I seem to have gone to music stations a bit more for some reason.

I could not agree more with this post.

I read it and realised that i was doing the same. Perhaps the management dont worry about loosing listners because they think that the changes will attract others.

Well that may be true and as Tony Blair said decisions have to be taken and if your in charge its up to you.

However i hope the new range of presenters will succeed in the end as 5LIVE has been a big part of my day for so long.

Not any more though. Shame
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was listening to fivelive this morning before the 8:30 am news and there were two very poor efforts by the team.

Firstly David Walliams came on to talk about his bike ride for sport relief. Except Nicky and Shelagh only talked about Shelaghs planned swim for charity which isnt for at least two weeks. Poor David got a bit annoyed with them and I don't blame him. These two are very self-obsessed.

Then we had Andy Verity telling us how good HSBCs figures were only for an expert to come on and tell us that they were worse than last year!

So a very poor ten minutes of radio and I am now switching to LBC.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst it's on I Player try to catch the latest edition of Feedback as broadcast on BBC Radio 4 and you'll hear a very poor defence of the changes at Radio 5 by the station's controller. He misses the points made by listeners about certain presenters too. Probably by choice.
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    Just been listening to the sports panel with Gabby Logan and she's floundering against the arguments of Oliver Holt accusing 5 Live of wanting it both ways with the John Terry/Wayne Bridge story. Mayo would never have got into such a state.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nicky and Shelagh are totally self obsessed, Gabby's out of her depth, (and who thought it was a good idea to have George Riley on for 2 hours ) ? :eek:

As for Bacon, don't get me started !

You can listen to it here as well on this Radio 5 blog .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/5live/