Options

Paris opera ejects woman in Muslim veil

pcawthronpcawthron Posts: 880
Forum Member
✭✭
From RT:
A woman in niqab, a traditional Muslim veil, was asked to leave the opera in Paris after the cast said they wouldn’t perform if a solution wasn’t found. She had to leave the auditorium, because wearing a veil covering the whole face is banned in France.

Also discussed on LBC this morning where Nick Nick Ferrari thinks this is disgraceful. I think it's the law behing upheld and the UK should do the same with full-face covering clothing. You can't wera a motorcycle helmet in a bank or a balaclava and ski-mask on a demonstration.

Comments

• Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pcawthron wrote: »
    From RT:

Also discussed on LBC this morning where Nick Nick Ferrari thinks this is disgraceful. I think it's the law behing upheld and the UK should do the same with full-face covering clothing. You can't wera a motorcycle helmet in a bank or a balaclava and ski-mask on a demonstration.

What's disgraceful about it? Isn't it the law?
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From RT:

Wearing the Veil on the street is OK.
    But when entering a place of business if they are asked to removed the veil they should comply with the rules of business.just like people a motorcycle helmets have to .
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member
    From RT:

There's no law against wearing a motorcycle helmet in a bank. Probably not one against ski masks either, though I can't be sure about that.

Why should full face coverings be banned everywhere? Could cause problems for bikers when they're on their bikes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PrestonAl wrote: »
    What's disgraceful about it? Isn't it the law?

But why were the cast so bothered about it?
  • Options
    BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    But why were the cast so bothered about it?

Someone in the audience was breaking the law and visibly breaking the law. Should they just ignore it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone in the audience was breaking the law and visibly breaking the law. Should they just ignore it?

So true as breaking the law is breaking the law no matter who you are and no one should be allowed to get away with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if James O'Brien will discuss it on LBC? He's against the full-veil as he thinks women are sometimes coerced into waering it, but being impeccably middle-class he won't want opera rights to be infringed.
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Someone gets ejected from the opera for blatantly breaking the law in public.
    Why is this news ?
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm against face covering even in public places, unless there is a legitimate reason (like a motorcycle helmet).

I don't want to live in a town where people are wearing veils, masks, balaclavas, or anything else that stops them being recognisable. I think it is good for civil society that people can see and recognise each other.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm against face covering even in public places, unless there is a legitimate reason (like a motorcycle helmet).

I don't want to live in a town where people are wearing veils, masks, balaclavas, or anything else that stops them being recognisable. I think it is good for civil society that people can see and recognise each other.

What about people wear a scarf and hat on the coldest days of the year.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Depends whether it bothers them or not. I was just wondering why it did, since it was posing no threat to them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CSJB wrote: »
    Someone gets ejected from the opera for blatantly breaking the law in public.
    Why is this news ?

Maybe it's the first time it's happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    Someone gets ejected from the opera for blatantly breaking the law in public. Why is this news ?

It was being discuseed on UK talk radiio where, as often happens, the presenter's 'what harm does it do?' view was out of sync with most of his callers.

It also raises issues of harmonisation of laws across the EU and the even broader issue of integration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends whether it bothers them or not. I was just wondering why it did, since it was posing no threat to them.

There are many things that pose no threat, the student racially abusing a footballer on twitter caused no threat, why should other twitter users worry about it as it causes no threat? Carol Thatcher caused no threat to Adrian Chiles or Jo Brand but they still were upset at the comment and reported it. The threat is that it is an illegal act and it may upset them to see French law flouted and insulted just as the two examples above felt that law was being flouted.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,596
    Forum Member
    Woman in question was admitted presumably wearing her veil so perhaps the staff who check tickets are not as paranoid as some of the singers
    Yea I know it is the law but sometimes laws can be relaxed as this woman was a visitor
    For all those crying "It's the law" don't cry if you get done for speeding or parking violations
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about people wear a scarf and hat on the coldest days of the year.

I said unless there was legitimate reason. If it's blowing an icy gale, that is a reason.

But for normal daily life, I have a strong dislike of people having their faces hidden.
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member

If I was snorting lines of coke off the back of the seat, Im sure I would have been ejected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Woman in question was admitted presumably wearing her veil so perhaps the staff who check tickets are not as paranoid as some of the singers
    Yea I know it is the law but sometimes laws can be relaxed as this woman was a visitor
    For all those crying "It's the law" don't cry if you get done for speeding or parking violations

She can scream and shout like everyone else if she feels she has been unfairly treated or the law is wrong in her opinion but speeding or parking restrictions are still the law and if residents in a particular area wish to see that law enforced for their consideration then that seems reasonable.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somewhat surprising a devout muslim woman in a niqaj would attend such an opera, the title of which is a fallen woman, who is living in sin.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Forum Member
    But for normal daily life, I have a strong dislike of people having their faces hidden.

Go on - explain.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a cultural line in the sand about which the French are right and we are wrong.

I detest the veil and all it stands for.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    It's a cultural line in the sand about which the French are right and we are wrong.

I detest the veil and all it stands for.

This. Also the blatant contempt and disregard of the law.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,596
    Forum Member
    dekaf wrote: »
    This. Also the blatant contempt and disregard of the law.

She was a tourist, so probably not aware of the law People to point the finger at here if any fingers need pointing are the theatre staff who let her in and showed her to her seat
    Have a go at them if you must
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was a tourist, so probably not aware of the law People to point the finger at here if any fingers need pointing are the theatre staff who let her in and showed her to her seat

I doubt she arrived at the airport and passport control in a niqaj without someone having a word in her ear.
  • Options
    LenkaLenka Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, yes, you have a point, she should have been given the option of uncovering her face or leaving, before admittance.

Personally, I disagree with the veil, if Muslim (I assume she is) people want to integrate with society they must start to show they are willing to interact with people and the veil obstructs that.
    I applaud the French on making it law that the face when out in public is not to be covered, it helps shows they treat their society as a whole evenly.