Strange Hub Question!

Everything is fine with my hub and I have around 120mb speed but here is the question.

My mother in law lives next door and has my nephew to stay every so often who likes his ipad and games.

my hub is next to our internal wall and when i take my lap top next door i get about one bar so its slow. Is there any kit that I can get that will boost the signal of my hub for my nephew's ipad wifi next door for when he stays with her.

We don't want to get her wifi as at 78 it will be a waste for her.

See a strange question!!! Any thoughts or help though.

Comments

• dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    If you put the superhub into modem mode and purchase/use a decent separate router you'll almost certainly find the wifi signal strength improves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    You could also try turning the SH so the 'front' of the SH is facing the wall. I think the aerials are directional and the signal is broadcast outwards from this direction.
    The front is the side with the big button, by the way.
    Unfortunately the SH has two very small aerials inside the casing and gives a poor signal, so as dodgygeeza has stated you may need a different wireless router.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adduxi wrote: »
    You could also try turning the SH so the 'front' of the SH is facing the wall. I think the aerials are directional and the signal is broadcast outwards from this direction.
    The front is the side with the big button, by the way.
    Unfortunately the SH has two very small aerials inside the casing and gives a poor signal, so as dodgygeeza has stated you may need a different wireless router.
    Actually the antenna are on the back of the case either side of the ethernet ports and they are stamp sized.

He would be better off buying a decent N router and using the Superhub in Modem Mode as the performance described is quite normal from that device.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    I know Petey, I've seen plenty of photographs of the SH :)
    Still think it broadcasts to the front as most wireless routers have a directional element to the design.
    Have to agree with the poor performance, but it must be worth a shot to try the pointing trick?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If both houses are joined, you may be able to run a cable under the flooring, although could be a lot of work but would provide a stable connection,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adduxi wrote: »
    I know Petey, I've seen plenty of photographs of the SH :)
    Still think it broadcasts to the front as most wireless routers have a directional element to the design.
    Have to agree with the poor performance, but it must be worth a shot to try the pointing trick?
    They tend to go backwards rather than forwards so poor is the design of the device, remember the electronics are in front of the antenna and people have been known to place them facedown in order just to get a decent signal upstairs, the only real answer to Superhub wireless is Modem Mode with a decent N router.;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Thank you everyone for your advice. I bought a netgear wifi booster WN1000RP. Paired it with my super hub.

The hub is against the wall and the booster is plugged in on the a joining wall next door and bingo we have 5 bars next door and the lad is happy when he visits his grandmother.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gareth73 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your advice. I bought a netgear wifi booster WN1000RP. Paired it with my super hub.

The hub is against the wall and the booster is plugged in on the a joining wall next door and bingo we have 5 bars next door and the lad is happy when he visits his grandmother.
    Nice one best thing you could ever have done.