An elderly person, a person on crutches, and a pregnant woman all get onto the train

lotsobearlotsobear Posts: 432
Forum Member
The train is packed but you have a seat. Which of the three do you give your seat to?

I would be most likely to give up my seat to the elderly man or woman, if anybody.

Which of these people would you give up your seat to on a crowded train? 144 votes

An elderly person
27%
AcerBen[Deleted User]*Clem*InMyArmsShappyfornowagainSick Bulletevie squeezybluebell smile[Deleted User]rattieEPYexlordlucanscotchBelligerence[Deleted User][Deleted User]MadamfluffLiamCarbinVan63 40 votes
A person on crutches
51%
SULLA[Deleted User]moogesterJohn259[Deleted User]bluebladeladyloulouhopwoodlmountyiiHEARTy0ujesayaTerry Wigon[Deleted User]Scrubsfan[Deleted User][Deleted User]big bro geekRadiomaniacSuesfluffybunyip 74 votes
A pregnant woman
12%
lubaNoseyLouievodkamargarineSara WebbhornbeamSorcha_27[Deleted User]wise-upMick_Swagger[Deleted User]los.kavStratusSphere[Deleted User]TrollHunterFlanno[Deleted User]SegaGamerImperfectPearls 18 votes
Neither
8%
TerryHrbdcayjoolslpmarclaioliterockerchickGeneralissimo[Deleted User]Invent Meridianrobo2Kiko H Fanhunter23 12 votes

Comments

• fluffybunyipfluffybunyip Posts: 4,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A person on crutches
    I'd give mine up to the person on crutches first.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whichever got to me first.

Actually, It would depend how infirm the old person is, how wobbly on the crutches the crutched person is and how far pregnant the preggy lady is.

Eta, and I'd give out 'two of you lot better stand up and give your seat' glares to the rest of the passengers too.
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The title sounds like the start of a joke.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    lotsobear wrote: »
    The train is packed but you have a seat. Which of the three do you give your seat to?

I would be most likely to give up my seat to the elderly woman, if anybody.

How come it's an elderly person in the title, but all of a sudden it's now an elderly woman?

Mind you, it wouldn't make any difference ... I'd still make them fight for it ... and my money would be on the one with crutches!
  • lotsobearlotsobear Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    An elderly person
    Picto wrote: »
    Doesn't it just! :D
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An elderly person
    Elderly.
  • GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    Neither
    None of them, why should I when I have paid for a seat?
  • feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Picto wrote: »

What do you call a Mexican with a rubber toe?

Roberto :D
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whichever got to me first.

Actually, It would depend how infirm the old person is, how wobbly on the crutches the crutched person is and how far pregnant the preggy lady is.

Eta, and I'd give out 'two of you lot better stand up and give your seat' glares to the rest of the passengers too.

And me, exactly.
  • lucifer samlucifer sam Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The elderly person.

Unless the person on crutches had one leg or one of those cage things, then I would give it to them.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because if they appear in more need than you then its basic good manners, and I am sure if you were balancing on crutches whilst a train tundled along you would be happy if someone came to your aid.

And it appears these days as selling more tickets than seats is the norm that unless you have actually paid to reserve a seat then you have actually paid to travel as opposed to be guaranteed a seat.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whoever, if any of them, looked least able to stand, of course. There's no need to patronise them by offering any of them your seat unless they look as though they genuinely need to sit down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd find an immigrant with a seat (anyone foreign looking would do) and then call the Daily Mail.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An elderly person
    Your day will come........to remind you of your selfishness.
  • JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends how infirm any of them looked. Just being old or pregnant doesn't automatically qualify you for a seat.
    Forum Member
    Neither
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Because if they appear in more need than you then its basic good manners, and I am sure if you were balancing on crutches whilst a train tundled along you would be happy if someone came to your aid.

And it appears these days as selling more tickets than seats is the norm that unless you have actually paid to reserve a seat then you have actually paid to travel as opposed to be guaranteed a seat.

If I was on crutches, then I would be sure to reserve a seat in advance.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An elderly person

Because it's kind. Nothing wrong with being kind.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    none of them. i'd put my case on the seat next to me too & laugh loudly.
  • jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you mean out of the three is there anyone you wouldn't give up your seat to, or do you mean which of the three would take precedence?

Personally, I'd give up my seat to any of the people in the examples if they appeared in need, and if all three got on board at the same time and headed straight for me, I would defer to the one who seemed in the most need at the time eg. crutches and wobbly or crutches and stable, elderly and infirm or elderly and sprightly, and very pregnant or just a little bump in which case it might just be a bit of a tummy and you may actually be opening yourself up to a whole can of worms.

So many variables...
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely the person on crutches first but I would give up my seat for any of them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I'd have to get a seat on the train first.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Neither

I agree.
    It's every commuter for his/her self when it comes to seats on trains.

Maybe they could sit in the toilet?
    Or wait for the next train?
    Forum Member
    Neither
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Your day will come........to remind you of your selfishness.

It's good to be selfish when dealing with strangers, it's the only way to succeed in life. And for all you know the person you are giving up your seat for could be a violent criminal.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A person on crutches
    The person on crutches. The other two might need a chair but not necessarily.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd simply stand up and vacate the seat and see whoever got to it first. You might find they might all offer each other the empty seat though - i see that a lot.