can sleeping with ear plugs in damage your hearing long term ?

shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
Forum Member
✭✭✭
been struggling sleeping for a while now so i got some of those foam ear plugs put them in and i seem to sleep alot better now. but when i get up some mornings i get a ringing in either ear or both. could this be caused by the ear plugs and is it sign of hearing damage?

Comments

• Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I wear ear plugs sometimes when my partner snores really loud. I have been doing this for some time but not had any problems.
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doubt it but don't try to put them in too far.
    I wear them in bed all the time, got so used to them I need to.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Dunno about damaging your hearing but I dunno how anybody can sleep wearing earplugs.

I've tried it and it's okay for about an hour but then the earplugs start to irritate slightly and then, an hour or so after that, I'm wide away, focussed on trying to ignore the discomfort which rapidly becomes agony.

I dunno.
    I think I have small ear canals or summat. I have the same problem with all in-ear earphones, bluetooth headsets and all that junk.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been wearing them every night for last 12 years. Hasn't done me any harm. My OH might disagree! He says I am going mutton but it is because of his snoring that I wear them!.

I change mine every couple if days for hygiene reasons . It was costing me a fortune- I buy the yellow foam ones in Boots which cost £3 for 2 pairs. Recently saw the same ones on Amazon for £5 fir 50 pairs. Exactly the same 3M ones - they seems to be in the workman/construction section.
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I have been wearing them for 17 years since I couldn't sleep for the slightest noise when I was pregnant. Can't sleep without them now and I don't have any hearing problems. My hubby gets them from work for me.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    What?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    I don't think so, I would be worried about getting them stuck in my ears :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been wearing them every night for last 12 years. Hasn't done me any harm. My OH might disagree! He says I am going mutton but it is because of his snoring that I wear them!.

I change mine every couple if days for hygiene reasons . It was costing me a fortune- I buy the yellow foam ones in Boots which cost £3 for 2 pairs. Recently saw the same ones on Amazon for £5 fir 50 pairs. Exactly the same 3M ones - they seems to be in the workman/construction section.

£3 for 2 pairs? That's a rip-off! I got 20 pairs for about $2 in the US when I was in some noisy hotels over there. Still got some left now. That Amazon price seems better. Earplugs are earplugs I think, can't see there being much difference between them.
  • ONeillDigSpyONeillDigSpy Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    i was wondering the same thing recently, i can't sleep without pushing them really deep in due to my flatmate watching tv through the night
  • 5aside5aside Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    I've been using classic ear plugs for sale on eBay for a couple of years now. Feel so much better for it.
  • 5aside5aside Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    £3 for 2 pairs? That's a rip-off! I got 20 pairs for about $2 in the US when I was in some noisy hotels over there. Still got some left now. That Amazon price seems better. Earplugs are earplugs I think, can't see there being much difference between them.

Ha ha try buying some from eBay from Hong Kong, they must be toxic they smell so bad!
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    been struggling sleeping for a while now so i got some of those foam ear plugs put them in and i seem to sleep alot better now. but when i get up some mornings i get a ringing in either ear or both. could this be caused by the ear plugs and is it sign of hearing damage?

You could be pushing wax further into your ear.
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,765
    Forum Member
    Get some sillicone ones from Boots (£4.50 for three pairs). They're washable and last for months.
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mint wrote: »
    You could be pushing wax further into your ear.

Yes indeed Mint. I use the plugs and have problems with ear wax.
    OP May need to use ear drops to dissolve build up wax.

I advice people to use ear drops and not get their ears syringed as I blame syringing for my tinnitus.
  • ScottishPancakeScottishPancake Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think so, I would be worried about getting them stuck in my ears :D
    Me too! :D
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been using the wax earplugs for yonks, and at a work medical recently the nurse said my hearing was excellent.

The plugs sometimes disappear into my earholes a bit too far and I have to hoik them out with a bit of wire.
  • ScottishPancakeScottishPancake Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been using the wax earplugs for yonks, and at a work medical recently the nurse said my hearing was excellent.

The plugs sometimes disappear into my earholes a bit too far and I have to hoik them out with a bit of wire.
    I bet you see a lot of earwax as a result after you have pulled the plugs out!
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    only if they're connected to the national grid
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Dunno about damaging your hearing but I dunno how anybody can sleep wearing earplugs.

I've tried it and it's okay for about an hour but then the earplugs start to irritate slightly and then, an hour or so after that, I'm wide away, focussed on trying to ignore the discomfort which rapidly becomes agony.

I dunno.
    I think I have small ear canals or summat. I have the same problem with all in-ear earphones, bluetooth headsets and all that junk.

What sort of ear plugs have you tried?
    Forum Member
    *MikeB* wrote: »

I found the foam ones pretty useless. I use silicone ones now that mould to your ear and they block out most sound.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    What sort of ear plugs have you tried?

Pretty much every type that I've come across in 25 years of working in noisy environments.

I'm pretty sure it's my problem, though, rather than the earplugs.
    As I said, even stuff like a bluetooth earpiece has me in agony after an hour or so of driving.
    I'd expect that if that happened to a lot of people they'd be designed differently due to the complaints.

It's not really a big deal at work cos I can just take them out when I use the loo, give my ears a rub and I'm fine for another couple of hours and it just gives me an excuse not to answer the phone at all when I'm driving.

The only time it has been an issue was when I was living in a noisy environment and I just flat-out couldn't sleep with ear-plugs in due to the gradually increasing discomfort.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I wore wax earplugs nearly every night for over 15 years.

If anything the audiologist accused it of making my hearing more sensitive rather than less sensitive.

Apparently your brain tries to make up for the loss of sound.

But personally I believe I was already sensitive to sound anyway with it why I wore them in the first place.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be worried that I'd miss the sound of the smoke alarm going off, or a burglar breaking in, or something, if I wore earplugs.
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you wear them alot you'll need your ears syringed more frequently, a symptom of needing them syringed is ringing / washing sound.
    Forum Member
    jimbo1962 wrote: »
    if you wear them alot you'll need your ears syringed more frequently, a symptom of needing them syringed is ringing / washing sound.

Really? I wear them every night and my ears are fine.