Support for EU membership highest for 23 years, apparently

TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
Forum Member
✭✭
Ipsos MORI Political Monitor - October 2014

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3463/Support-for-EU-membership-highest-for-23-years-even-as-UKIP-rises-in-the-polls.aspx

Stay in - 56%
Get out - 36%
Don't know 8%

Must say, I am in that 3rd category.

Comments

• TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    And yesterday windmills delivered more electricity than our nuclear powerstations.

Statistics are wonderful.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The silent majority.
  • StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    I'm genuinely shocked about that! :o

I must say, I would be in category 3 on that poll.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the problem with polls, they don't tell you much of what's going on.

Is this support strong or weak? Could it be turned one way or another?

Polls are to politics what management consultants are to business.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    This is the problem with polls, they don't tell you much of what's going on.

Is this support strong or weak? Could it be turned one way or another?

Polls are to politics what management consultants are to business.

Indeed, and the poll was taken from just 1002 people. We might find out for sure if we get to a referendum in 2017.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised support for staying in is as low as 56%. Leaving is a leap into the unknown.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    It's quite interesting how you get different results all the time depending on the pollster.

MORI and you gov always report big leads for staying in whereas Survation, Comres, Opinium and TNS always have leads for leaving. Check the poll records out - very recent ones from other pollsters with big leave leads of nearly 10 per cent.

UKIP is also on anything from 10 per cent to 25 per cent in some polls.

Who knows what the public think - the pollsters can't agree! It depends on the question you ask, your methodology for excluding certain responses and how you weight the results.

So when a pollster gives a result - just pause a little before suggesting it's what the public wants. Cos they can't all be right as they are all over the shop.
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ipsos MORI Political Monitor - October 2014

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3463/Support-for-EU-membership-highest-for-23-years-even-as-UKIP-rises-in-the-polls.aspx

Stay in - 56%
    Get out - 36%
    Don't know 8%

Must say, I am in that 3rd category.

Those figures must relate to the "remain in the EU under renegotiated terms".

The latest YouGov polls show a similar level of support for renegotiated terms but under the current terms 40% vote to stay in, 39% to get out, 16% undecided and 5% would not vote.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/u021h6mva9/YG-Archive-Pol-Sun-results-201014.pdf
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,585
    Forum Member
    That poll is similar to the polls taken two years before the independence referendum with a 20 point lead for remaining as things are
    If there is an EU ref in 2017 a major factor will be that LibLabCon + SNP will campaign to stay in and will have most of the business sector backing that view as well
    I do hope there is a vote and there is a decisive verdict
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like being ruled by Europe, they seem a lot more sensible than the UK's leaders. Give me Angela Merkel over Cameron or Miliband any day. Compared to the histrionic way that our politicians bounce from one Daily Mail scare story to another the Europeans are postively enlightened.
    Forum Member
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Those figures must relate to the "remain in the EU under renegotiated terms".

The latest YouGov polls show a similar level of support for renegotiated terms but under the current terms 40% vote to stay in, 39% to get out, 16% undecided and 5% would not vote.

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/u021h6mva9/YG-Archive-Pol-Sun-results-201014.pdf

Now we get the real story!

As Barroso made clear this week all this talk of renegotiation is total BS - especially on the key issue of freedom of movement which the public appear to see as the big issue. It needs all 27 states to agree - most of whom export not import young unemployed workers - and they never will for that reason. It suits them to export their young - who then repatriate any money they make in Western Europe back home.

So the true lead is only 1 per cent - as renegotiation is a total red herring. If you want to be in the club you should accept the rules - at least the LDs and UKIP are honest about that from their positions whereas the Tories and Labour pretend they can deliver changes they cannot and never will.

It's time Dave and Ed stopped lying to the British people!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like being ruled by Europe, they seem a lot more sensible than the UK's leaders. Give me Angela Merkel over Cameron or Miliband any day. Compared to the histrionic way that our politicians bounce from one Daily Mail scare story to another the Europeans are postively enlightened.

How is it in La La Land nowadays?
  • Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So we're in 2017 and the EU referendum membership campaign is in full swing. And Prime Minister David Cameron has re-negotiated our relationship with the rest of the EU.

Those campaigning to stay in the EU
    PM David Cameron
    Leaders of the LibDems and Labour
    Boris Johnson
    SNP and Plaid Cymru
    Trade union leaders
    Usual celebs: Stephen Fry, Eddie Izzard
    Guardian, FT, may be Daily Mirror (?)

Those campaigning to leave the EU
    UKIP
    Kate Hoey, John Redwood
    Daily Mail, Daily Express, the Sun
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick1966 wrote: »
    So we're in 2017 and the EU referendum membership campaign is in full swing. And Prime Minister David Cameron has re-negotiated our relationship with the rest of the EU.

PM David Cameron
    Leaders of the LibDems and Labour
    Boris Johnson
    SNP and Plaid Cymru
    Trade union leaders
    Usual celebs: Stephen Fry, Eddie Izzard
    Guardian, FT, may be Daily Mirror (?)
    Confederation of British Industry
    British Chamber of Commerce

UKIP
    Kate Hoey, John Redwood
    Jeremy Clarkson

I added a few:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ha ha - it's great. I have a similar level of income as the UK but substantially more employement rights. I work less hours, have more holidays and have effective worker representation in my company. There's slightly more chance of me being unemployed but if I am the out of work payments are 90% of my salary. Houses are bigger, roads are less congested and academic achievement is higher.

On top off all of that i'm able to listen to political discourse that doesn't try to make out that all government spending is a waste of money and that the only people that really matter in society are the 'wealth creators' at the top.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Jeremy Clarkson campaigns on behalf of 'get out' I can see a result of 'stay in' going by the level of outrage every time he opens his mouth :D:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Now we get the real story!

As Barroso made clear this week all this talk of renegotiation is total BS - especially on the key issue of freedom of movement which the public appear to see as the big issue. It needs all 27 states to agree - most of whom export not import young unemployed workers - and they never will for that reason. It suits them to export their young - who then repatriate any money they make in Western Europe back home.

So the true lead is only 1 per cent - as renegotiation is a total red herring. If you want to be in the club you should accept the rules - at least the LDs and UKIP are honest about that from their positions whereas the Tories and Labour pretend they can deliver changes they cannot and never will.

It's time Dave and Ed stopped lying to the British people!

What many of the 40% do not seem to understand if we vote to remain in the EU:

1) We would become part of an fully fledged EU superstate in the end. This is the intended future direction of the EU and we would be powerless to stop it. If the majority of people voted for us to stay in we would no option but to become fully integrated.
    2) We would lose the pound and be forced to adopt the Euro currency.
    3) We would lose forever the ability to gain control of numbers flowing in from the EU.
    4) We would be forced to accept all EU laws, including ones we opt out of at present.
    5) The UK Parliament would have little or no control over its own land mass, simply being instructed to implement laws and regulations handed down by the EU.

I do not think that many people realise these points will happen in the future.A "stay in" vote is as good as saying we accept all the above and possibly more to come.
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Stay in - 56%
    Get out - 36%
    Don't know 8%

The real People's Army are on the march. :D
    Forum Member

Let them have their moment in the Sun (and the Guardian!).

Polls are like buses - there will be another one along soon from one of the other pollsters showing support for leaving. Cos most pollsters - as I highlighted - report leads to leave all the time.

And in any case we saw how the Scottish polls moved in 3 weeks - No lead in the 20s, then a small yes lead and No wins by 10 percent. In the end the pollsters got it wrong.

I also look forward to the renegotiation - UK wants this, sorry No you can't have it, discussion over. Cos Barroso unlike our two main party leaders tells it like it is. You aren't going to ditch the fundamental principles of the treaty of Rome.

So if people think our government will get powers to restrict freedom of movement or other major concessions they really are living in la la land! :D
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alternatively
    Nick1966 wrote: »

Rich people

UKIP
    Kate Hoey, John Redwood
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can we find out what the wording of the question was?
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1) We would become part of an fully fledged EU superstate in the end. This is the intended future direction of the EU and we would be powerless to stop it. If the majority of people voted for us to stay in we would no option but to become fully integrated.
    3) We would lose forever the ability to gain control of numbers flowing in from the EU.
    4) We would be forced to accept all EU laws, including ones we opt out of at present.
    5) The UK Parliament would have little or no control over its own land mass, simply being instructed to implement laws and regulations handed down by the EU.

I do not think that many people realise these points will happen in the future.A "stay in" vote is as good as saying we accept all the above and possibly more to come.

And if that did happen it would lead to a rise in nationalism not just in the UK but elsewhere as well, it will lead to to conflict.
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Let them have their moment in the Sun (and the Guardian!).

Polls are like buses - there will be another one along soon from one of the other pollsters showing support for leaving. Cos most pollsters - as I highlighted - report leads to leave all the time.

And in any case we saw how the Scottish polls moved in 3 weeks - No lead in the 20s, then a small yes lead and No wins by 10 percent. In the end the pollsters got it wrong.

I also look forward to the renegotiation - UK wants this, sorry No you can't have it, discussion over. Cos Barroso unlike our two main party leaders tells it like it is. You aren't going to ditch the fundamental principles of the treaty of Rome.

So if people think our government will get powers to restrict freedom of movement or other major concessions they really are living in la la land! :D

As a sovereign state we can legislate at Westminster to cancel or nullify ANY treaty or law enacted on the statute books, morons like bile Barroso can bleat all they want but each individual sovereign state can legislate to end agreements and membership.

That's what the euronuts are scared of.
  • BigDaveXBigDaveX Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

People were saying that as far back as the 1997 General Election, and we've only taken baby steps, if even that, toward the sort of situation you're describing.

In fact, people nowadays forget exactly how much Euroskepticism there was during the 1990s. If anything it really took hold with Black Wednesday and remained strong throughout the decade, before getting shoved into the background thanks to the War on Terror and the invasion of Iraq. The current drive to leave the EU isn't so much a result of that wonderful Mr. Farage educating the ignorant masses on the evils of Europe, but rather the recession allowing the question to re-emerge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the stuff they do understand that makes them want to vote the way they do.
    Try listing that ...