Can't Read, Can't Write

PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
Forum Member
✭✭
Is anyone watching this? It's incredibly poignant and making me bloody cry.

Comments

• diddygirldiddygirl Posts: 4,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darn, missed it. I really like Phil Beadle.
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    Its very sad I do feel for Linda
  • PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can catch the last half hour, it's still on Channel 4.
  • jamesdeanukjamesdeanuk Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really don't know how people can get through school nevermind life without being able to read or write. What a joke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its very sad I do feel for Linda

She's so articulate too. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really don't know how people can get through school nevermind life without being able to read or write. What a joke.

People do though, they bluff and bluster through life, too embarrassed as adults to take that step back.
  • nellieknelliek Posts: 10,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diddygirl wrote: »

Tonight is the first of a 3-parter so make sure you remember next week and the following. :)
  • GirlfromEireannGirlfromEireann Posts: 4,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's made me want to do a course to help people to read.

How anyone can go gthrough school and come out the other end unable to read is awful and shows how the education system is failing people.:mad:
    Forum Member
    Silly Linda

He offerd to get a top proffessional in and she doesnt want it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching!

What a fascinating programme (and I agree, very moving).

I am a primary school teacher and have taught many children to read - including some written off by other teachers - you need to do what this guy is doing - adapt to their learning style.

I think James's problem may be that he doesn't hear the individual sounds in words (most children don't until they are taught this). I thknk it might help him if they focussed on listening to words and identifying sounds - there are loads of games to help with this - then linking sounds to the grapheme (letter or letter combination).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gosh, I think I've fallen in love with this bloke.
  • kaniakania Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    This is quite emotional, in a good way. :)

No wonder that guy struggled at school though, when his mother shows no support and says he won't do it before he's even tried.
    Forum Member
    Losing it with Linda now

she's making a meal of it, something doesnt sit right with me about her
  • kaniakania Posts: 6,252
    Forum Member
    diddygirl wrote: »

It's repeated on C4+1 now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44,323
    Forum Member
    I'm watching it now, seems really interesting.
  • nellieknelliek Posts: 10,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil was so right about the Government adult curriculum. How can you teach people to read without teaching them the sound of the letters?
    Teresa proved him so right when within a couple of weeks she was in the supermarket spelling out ham and Mars correctly. And then to read a whole book. Respect girl. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nelliek wrote: »
    Phil was so right about the Government adult curriculum. How can you teach people to read without teaching them the sound of the letters?
    Teresa proved him so right when within a couple of weeks she was in the supermarket spelling out ham and Mars correctly. And then to read a whole book. Respect girl. :)

So true - I was shocked by the adult curriculum shown in the programme.
  • Pickled TinkPickled Tink Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't watched it yet as i recorded it, but from the comments on here it backs up all my reasons for training to be a teacher.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Beadle seems like a lovely man. It was moved that he was so emotional re the class he sat in on. It was clear from that snippet that the class was more teaching English to those who have a different native tongue. This is taught to people who have an understanding of letters and how to put them together to form sentences. A course like that is useless to people who don't know their phonics or can't understand letters.

I knew there were adults out there who couldn't read or write, but this programme has made me realise how lucky I am.

Also, re the young man ( I don't know his name). He sat through all those lessons in school and exams and he could barely write his own name - what a disgrace. Because he wasn't able to read, he was no doubt classed as 'slow' and instead of being encouraged and given individual help he was just left there. A blumming disgrace. :mad:
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because the education system lets them and ignores them. It cannot be a primary schoolchild's fault that they are sent to secondary school unable to read and write. The blame must lie with their parents, if they have them, their teachers and educationalists.

What a moving and informative programme. I was not surprised to learn that we taxpayers pay to teach adult immigrants to read and write in English but not our fellow Britons who have been left out of the system with no way back in. They are written off. Ironic that this should be broadcast on the day the government talks about getting the long term unemployed back into work partly by trying to figure out what they can actually do. I bet a disproportionate percentage cannot read or write.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's made me want to do a course to help people to read.

How anyone can go gthrough school and come out the other end unable to read is awful and shows how the education system is failing people.:mad:

Me too.

It's depressing to think people can slip through the educational system in this day and age.
  • donlothariodonlothario Posts: 5,289
    Forum Member
    I remember when I was on teaching practice there was a young boy in the class who couldn't read and when I asked his teacher why he was having such a struggle she replied, he's just thick! I felt like weeping for him. And hitting her with a plank of wood!
  • donlothariodonlothario Posts: 5,289
    Forum Member
    Me too.

It's depressing to think people can slip through the educational system in this day and age.

They slip through because we just move kids up every year without bothering to see if they have learnt to read first. By the time they get to secodary school they have lost their chance as virtually no secondary school teaches children to read from scratch.

The simple solution is to identify these kids at 7 when they do their SATs and move them out of mainstream into a dedicated reading class. Holding them back a year at that stage would mean that you would have the time to address the problems they have and then feed them back into the mainstream the following year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when I was on teaching practice there was a young boy in the class who couldn't read and when I asked his teacher why he was having such a struggle she replied, he's just thick! I felt like weeping for him. And hitting her with a plank of wood!

That's terrible :(

I think there are some kids in school who everyone gives up on. The main focus is on gaining SATs results and ticking boxes for OFSTED. There is more to be gained (for the school) to invest time and money in kids who can be moved forward or who are almost at the required NC level than there is in spending time and money on individualised teaching for one or two who are realy struggling and have no chance of making the grade.

The system stinks :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew plenty of children I went to school with and they were labelled 'thick' because they might not have been top of the class in reading. They were given minimal help and were, in many cases, seen as a hindrance to the rest of the class as the teacher may have to spend time going over stuff with them first, so in the main, they were pushed to one side.

Really feel for them, because the older you get, the harder it is to learn - that's true with any skill, but with something like reading and writing it must be immensely difficult especially to take the first step as it's such a taboo subject. It must take a lot of strength to summon up the courage to do it, but as we saw from tonight's programme the feeling of achievement is huge. I had tears in my eyes for that woman when she read the book. The fact that it was a children's book is irrelevant, the look of pride in the face of a 58 year old woman who exclaims 'I've read a book in a library' is immense.

I congratulate them and all people who make the step forward and I know realise how priviliged I am not to have been one of the ones 'left behind'.