Options

The Systems Gone Mad

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,311
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My daughter was on benefits for a while being unable to work due to a personal extreme trauma to her & the children. She has not been recieved benefits for the last year as she is fully supported by her new partner but is still unable to work. The relevant dept has sent her 2 letters stating if she doesn't attend an interview the benefits will be stopped. She phoned them & explained the situation only to be informed that she is supposed to notify them that she is still unable to work & get a certificate to prove it so they can continue to pay her stamp in case she needs to apply again !! :confused: God knows how many stamps they are paying for for everyone in this situation. What a waste of money !!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One point to bear in mind:
    NICs and your State Pension

The amount of basic State Pension (and certain other state benefits) you're entitled to is based on your NICs record over your working life from age 16 until State Pension age. This record is made up from NICs paid or credited to you in each tax year. A minimum amount of contributions is required to make each year count as a 'qualifying year' towards your overall contributions record.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/PensionsAndRetirement/FinancialPlanningForRetirement/DG_10021384
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If she and her BF break up and she needs to claim and the stamps are not up to date, then she will have problems with her claim

When I became unemployed it was found out my employer before last, had not been paying my NI and I didn't get the full amount of unemployment benefit.