Options

Are wisdom teeth supposed to hurt?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes,i had agonising pain for two years, while all of them came through almost at the same times!
  • Options
    justpootlingjustpootling Posts: 3,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have three words for anyone who's dental or needle phobic, and is having grief with wisdom teeth.

Hospital. . .General. . .Anesthetic
  • Options
    moonbabymoonbaby Posts: 2,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The mouthwash ive been given taste disgusting- like bonjella. He didn't wash my gums out? That sounds awful! Im glad he didn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Hi.....I`am a Dentist.....You have an infection in the gum around your erupting wisdom tooth.....the medical term is "pericorinitis"........You can`t open you mouth properly because the infection has spread into the muscles that move your jaw .Take anti-inflammatory pain killers such as ibuprofen and rinse vigorously with an antiseptic mouth wash.Make an appointment to see your Dentist(they are obliged to see you within 24hrs).....you should be given a short course of the anti-biotic metronidazole...this will clear up the infection.You should then have a further appointment made so that your Dentist can take a radiograph of this tooth in order to assess whether the tooth is impacted and hence likely to give you further problems......Do not believe all the horror stories you have heard about extracting wisdom teeth.The vast majority of these teeth erupt without causing problems.....if an extraction is required then again the vast majority can and are easily removed.....however a small minority of impacted wisdom teeth can be difficult to remove and it is these cases that give rise to the nightmare stories surrounding the extraction of wisdom teeth......Please remember that every case is different and needs to be assessed on an individual basis.
    If the stiffness of your jaw does not improve overnight then I would phone your Dentist tomorrow(Sunday)....there should be a message on the answer phone giving you the number of an out of hours emergency service.....if you get no joy from them and your jaw is so stiff that you can put no more than two fingers in your mouth(ie can`t open more than 15-20mm) then you should contact your out of hours GP to get these anti-biotics
    Tony.

Hey,
    I have had similiar pains over the last few days, and appreciate the advice you gave to OP.

I guess the dentist route is the only real option? Not like other toothache that gradually gets better over time?

Also, any idea how much this would cost private? (no chance of getting an NHS dentist in Aberdeen)

Terrfied of dentists.....went for the first time in over 10years couple years ago, got huge amount of fillings, and the dentist made plans of getting some crowns etc, but never went back (only stayed as long as I did due to the dentist being a young swedish girl....soon as she left, didnt bother going back)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    My wisdom teeth have been having a bit of a grow every six months or so for he last 12 years! I'm 30 now and they're still not through properly!!

I just take ibuprofen and it usually sorts the pain or if its really bad Nurofen Plus is great!
  • Options
    gemchickengemchicken Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was going to suggest bongela but you have seen the dentist OP (good on ya, brave lass!) and I'm sorry you have an infection but glad you're getting it sorted :D

As for the whole wisdom teeth thing, just to save a thread I'll ask here...I have 6, that's not right is it?! :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    gemchicken wrote: »
    I was going to suggest bongela but you have seen the dentist OP (good on ya, brave lass!) and I'm sorry you have an infection but glad you're getting it sorted :D

As for the whole wisdom teeth thing, just to save a thread I'll ask here...I have 6, that's not right is it?! :o

The wisdom teeth are actually your 3rd molars....you have 4 third molar teeth(one in each corner)....The first molars erupt when you are 6yrs old;the 2nd molars erupt when you are 12 and if there`s enough room the 3rd molars or wisdom teeth erupt when you are 18....their called wisdom teeth because in theory were all meant to be wise by the time were 18.;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Anyone know when wisdom teeth are supposed to come through? Im two months off 21.. can feel something under my gums but nothings come through. Hope I dont get it, never had a tooth out or a filling :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    princessxx wrote: »
    Anyone know when wisdom teeth are supposed to come through? Im two months off 21.. can feel something under my gums but nothings come through. Hope I dont get it, never had a tooth out or a filling :(

Lets hope they stay there......please don`t worry about them though.....if you look at the post I made a few days ago you`ll see that that vast majority of wisdom teeth erupt without causing any problems.
  • Options
    gemchickengemchicken Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The wisdom teeth are actually your 3rd molars....you have 4 third molar teeth(one in each corner)....The first molars erupt when you are 6yrs old;the 2nd molars erupt when you are 12 and if there`s enough room the 3rd molars or wisdom teeth erupt when you are 18....their called wisdom teeth because in theory were all meant to be wise by the time were 18.;)

That's strange, I had a train track brace when I was 13ish, and had to have two back teeth taken out as I had too many teeth. The brace came of when I was 16 and I wore my retainer (even though they're not as straight as I'd like them to be!) Anyhoo, I got 4 teeth through between about 19 and 22, then last year I got another two half way thorough, as the top...like right on the bone so when I bite down they touch the bottom bit of gum...if that makes sense?!
  • Options
    Katia PolletinKatia Polletin Posts: 4,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You should of course said on average.

My one daughter already had teeth partly through at birth, had her first set of molars well before 4 years old and at about a month past her 4th birthday, started to lose her teeth. She was due her check up a couple of months after teeth started to come out and said, whilst not common at that age, was nothing to worry about.