Options

Blu Ray DVD Players & Updating Firmware

I’d like to buy a Blu Ray DVD player, but I’m really put off by people saying the players need constantly updating (firmware). I’m not the most technically minded person around (LOL!), so are there future-proof players out there, and if there aren’t, how often do players need updating?

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    When the new firmware comes out much like a computer auto updates.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the new firmware comes out much like a computer auto updates.

• Options
    FatwazFatwaz Posts: 1,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all depends on the player and if it has the current firmware on it or not.the only real benefit from newer firmware is bd live which is like interactive net access for that disc like games tied in with the film and stuff or some wont play certain discs unless the firmware is updated.you will probably only do it once and leave it till you have a problem with it so could be a long time.
    you can either connect the player to the net to do this or on some you can d/l it to computer then burn it to disc to play in player.it really isnt much of a problem and to be honest even though its advisable to always update the firmware on most items as soon as you get them as long as it works ok you wont worry about it
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing is ever really future proof but I wouldn't worry about firmware upgrades at all. Just ensure the blu-ray player you purchase is profile 2.0, that it plays discs ok out of the box, then ignore any f/w upgrades that might be released. There won't be that many anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks stud u like, Fatwaz and soulboy 77. You've really put my mind at ease! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I update my Firmware religiously & have never had a problem with my Sony S350 or my previous Samsung 1400.
    My mate has the Same Sony S350 & has never updated & has no problems borrowing my BD discs :)
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,527
    Forum Member
    Nothing can be 'furure proof' (without updating) because they keep bringing out new features that didn't exist when you bought the player.

But modern players update directly over the internet, or by simply recording a CD-ROM and inserting it. It's really pretty simple to do.
  • Options
    klaeresourceklaeresource Posts: 793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I should not worry about updates unless you get the PS3.

The PS3 is always adding new features and tweaks to the system because it has so many different features.

Standalone players only playback discs so there is little need to update the player ever.

Some players that were sold as Profile 1.1 can be updated to Profile 2 to enable BD-Live but you are unlikely to find BD-Live is that exciting anyway.

Its perfectly fine to buy any Profile 1.1 player and never update it.

Although there should not be many on sale now try and avoid Profile 1.0 players that do not allow for PIP features.

Occasionally certain brands may find they have a problem with certain discs and a swift cd update from the net will solve the problem but that happens very rarely and the chances are if you buy a 1.1 player you'll have no problems with any discs and no need to update.