Upstairs Downstairs & the BBC obsession with 'equality'

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    Well if anyone here had bothered to read anything about the show then they'd know that the Indian man played by Art Malik is not all the sweetness and light he seems at the start.

Also you'd only complain that the BBC was being racist if they didn't have any ethnic minorities characters in the show at all, especially one that has a main plot line fed by the fact one of the characters gets involved with Nazi's...

The only people with enough time to sit and bash something they have never placed their eyes on are Daily Mail readers. They are the only ones that pick and moan about everything from the lack of or too much ethnic minorities or the colour of an extras lipstick.

Daily Fail readers were always going to hate UD thanks to the Nazi thread in the first mini series. It hits too many nerves there...

I'm expecting the good old Keeley Hawes bashing to start next...
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    And the equal knee-jerk "let's defend the BBC".

The original point was that "ethnic" characters in BBC productions are invariably saints, this is true so how can anyone argue otherwise?

No.

It's lets wait and see.

And the second part of your post is ignorant.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member

The original point was that "ethnic" characters in BBC productions are invariably saints, this is true so how can anyone argue otherwise?

:D Oh Tass,
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Frood wrote: »
    No.

It's lets wait and see.

And the second part of your post is ignorant.

hang around long enough and Tass will lever in some political point or another.

Broken bleedin record he is, although it's fun to laugh at, at times.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No organisation can be all one thing, but the BBC are so often the PC Kings that when they aren't it hardly matters.
    Forum Member

Yup we've seen your 'kick the BBC' act time and again too.
    You regularly get chased up trees for it too, which is amusing.

Go on then, lets have your ethnic saints list, bet we can find just as many sinners.
    Go on, start with East Enders see how you get on :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No organisation can be all one thing, but the BBC are so often the PC Kings that when they aren't it hardly matters.

Yawn..............
    Forum Member

Oh goody, you've found a reverse gear, keep going you'll meet yourself on your way here eventually :)
    Forum Member
    flobadob wrote: »
    I know we should really wait to see it first before we criticise, but I fear that the criticisms expressed here will probably be well-founded.

I wish the BBC would do drama about people, not stereotypes. The BBC sometimes gives the impression of being a Sunday school teacher, reading the children morally improving stories to make them into good citizens.

I want more Poliakoff.

Inform, Educate and Entertain.
    Go me thinking about Hislops series about the Victorian Do-gooders now.

Well I'm afraid Poliakoff doesn't put bums on seats like this sort of thing does.

I've never got Poliakoff myself.
    I probably won't be watching this anyway, so it's not going to bother me either way.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats the BBC for you.

Im sure at some point, we will have a strong women with liberal views who doesnt take any crap from the men, even though that would have been pretty damm rare in 1920.
    There have been, of course, generations of strong women through the ages.
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,567
    Forum Member
    Yup we've seen your 'kick the BBC' act time and again too.
    You regularly get chased up trees for it too, which is amusing.

Go on then, lets have your ethnic saints list, bet we can find just as many sinners.
    Go on, start with East Enders see how you get on :)

there's that lovely Connor, who's doing his bit to help the aged ;):p
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats the BBC for you.

Im sure at some point, we will have a strong women with liberal views who doesnt take any crap from the men, even though that would have been pretty damm rare in 1920.

and the mandatory lesbian, and a baby born out of wedlock will be perfectly acceptable :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go me thinking about Hislops series about the Victorian Do-gooders now.

Yeah

The BBC.

Liberal, lefty, hand wringing, pinko do gooders!!!!!!!
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    and the mandatory lesbian, and a baby born out of wedlock will be perfectly acceptable :confused:

Which characters are those then?
    Not that I've bothered to read anything about this, fire up a link.
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    That primatism, that is. Why are monkeys always portrayed as plague carriers apart from when they are stereotyped as Clint Eastwood's partner in crime and called Clyde?

Oh dear, no, Clyde was an orang-utang, and, as any Discworld afficionado will tell you, you refer to them as 'monkeys' at your own risk.
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is one thing for some posters on this thread to be blissfully unaware that years ago there were people with liberal attitudes to women's rights and that not everyone in the past was a racist.

However the tenor of criticism against the BBC is that the posters think that only pinko Guardian reading BBC types believe in 'equality' (why the inverted commas in the title, by the way).

Do they really think that only a few crazy liberals believe in equal rights for women, and that the majority of the population would like to ostracise babies born out of wedlock?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »

Really? Let's hope they do the traditional TV thing and make her a pretty, girly-girly lesbian. Then we can all pretend that we're interested in the fascinating and complex social history of the thirties whilst letching at a couple of hot babes having a snog.

Oh God, you don't think it's going to be Jean Marsh, do you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flobadob wrote: »
    Really? Let's hope they do the traditional TV thing and make her a pretty, girly-girly lesbian. Then we can all pretend that we're interested in the fascinating and complex social history of the thirties whilst letching at a couple of hot babes having a snog.

Oh God, you don't think it's going to be Jean Marsh, do you?

Well there were 'hints' at under the bedclothes fun involving Rose and Sarah in the original.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glengavel wrote: »
    Oh dear, no, Clyde was an orang-utang, and, as any Discworld afficionado will tell you, you refer to them as 'monkeys' at your own risk.

Ooook???
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Glengavel wrote: »
    Maybe the monkey is carrying a fearsome plague that turns everyone into flesh-eating zombies roaming around a post-apocalyptic wasteland? Or maybe not.

Would they be zombies though? Danny Boyle says otherwise! :D
    Forum Member
    Well there were 'hints' at under the bedclothes fun involving Rose and Sarah in the original.

Oh please tell me Sue Perkins had decided to go into acting.
    Oh Anne Lister comes to mind now that has been mentioned
    (tootles off for a google refresher).

Actually being based in the 1930's it's not a huge leap that there'd be an upper class Lesbian somewhere on the fringe of the story.
    If you're independently wealthy you can afford to flout convention to a certain degree.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they'd bring back Ruby.

I loved Ruby.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gboy wrote: »
    I wish they'd bring back Ruby.

I loved Ruby.

She went off with the Hudson's to help run their Guest House in Brighton - waiting for them to die so she'd get it.
    Forum Member
    She went off with the Hudson's to help run their Guest House in Brighton - waiting for them to die so she'd get it.

I take it that Ruby's a slippery character then.
    There was a across the class divide Upstairs/Downstairs relationship too wasn't there?

I don't remember it all that well.

Back to where this thread started.
    Surely there would have been some Anglo-Indian family's living here by the 1900's.
    IIRC The East India company encouraged intermarriage for years and it wasn't frowned upon in India.
    Some family's must have taken a chance and come back to England.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take it that Ruby's a slippery character then..

I don't think so - she might have been a bit sharper than they thought.

The Hudson's 'took her with them' because they didn't think she'd survive on her own. She was considering becoming an usherette beore they told her.

I don't think she planned anything sinister but one of her last lines (maybe her last) was to the effect that they were old and would probably not live much longer.