Gary mispronouncing

Comments

• indenileindenile Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danyell wrote: »
    Well most people don't bother to say the D in sandwich. I think most people say 'can I have a sanwich'.

My good mate says sandwich with the D and it bugs the hell out of me! She is the only person I know who does
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    decobelle wrote: »
    Ah yes, I forgot that sneaky fourth option, thank you. I say samwiches, but I feel it makes me sound a bit, you know, common and thick. I shall endeavour to change!

Er....I think that I belong to this category too:o
  • CreamPuffCreamPuff Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Ah yes, I forgot that sneaky fourth option, thank you. I say samwiches, but I feel it makes me sound a bit, you know, common and thick. I shall endeavour to change!

Haha, I don' t think samwich is a sign of thickness, sandwich is a strange word to pronounce correctly, not that many people in my experience say sand wich so precisely, it can sound a bit odd.
  • decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indenile wrote: »
    Er....I think that I belong to this category too:o

Nah, I was just kidding, say it wrong with pride! It's probably a sign of massive intelligence.
    CreamPuff wrote: »
    Haha, I don' t think samwich is a sign of thickness, sandwich is a strange word to pronounce correctly, not that many people in my experience say sand wich so precisely, it can sound a bit odd.

Thanks! It really is a word that I've always struggled with, I just never worried about it until I read this thread :D
  • ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Anyone who pronounces those words like that is rather dumb to be honest.

How rude. :mad:
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah, I was just kidding, say it wrong with pride! It's probably a sign of massive intelligence.

Thanks! It really is a word that I've always struggled with, I just never worried about it until I read this thread :D

Sorry I didn't want to make people feel stupid with this thread. I was just attacking Garys intelligence! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I didn't want to make people feel stupid with this thread. I was just attacking Garys intelligence! :D

:D no offence taken, honestly!

I did notice tonight that Sharon and Dermot both said Preformance too, though I may have I imagined it (I was distracted by Gary's beard to be honest)
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How rude. :mad:

I wasn't being rude, I am just pointing out that if people can't pronounce simple words properly, then there isn't much hope for the country. I mean can you imagine if everyone just pronounced all words the way they wanted? The language would be a right mess.
    Forum Member

I think I probably pronounce it samwidge which is even worse than yours and I'm normally a stickler for correct pronunciation:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't being rude, I am just pointing out that if people can't pronounce simple words properly, then there isn't much hope for the country. I mean can you imagine if everyone just pronounced all words the way they wanted? The language would be a right mess.

Um, I think they do, it's called accents :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CreamPuff wrote: »
    I think I probably pronounce it samwidge which is even worse than yours and I'm normally a stickler for correct pronunciation:D

Well I think you're ace then, please pop round tomorrow for tea, samwidges and cream puffs! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I think you're ace then, please pop round tomorrow for tea, samwidges and cream puffs! :D

Is that invitation pacifically for CreamPuff or can I come too? :p
    Forum Member

:D:D:D
    Forum Member

'Pacifically' - another 'samwidge' moment:)
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol I know someone who says chimley. I have never noticed Gary saying this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asphalt. I say ashfelt. So shoot me.

I try to avoid ever having to say Ralph Fiennes or Magdalen College.
  • Shane54Shane54 Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone noticed that Gary says proformance instead of performance? Its really starting to annoy me now. He can't be that dumb that he thinks that's how you say it.

Crucify him!
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shane54 wrote: »
    Crucify him!

I have been doing! :D
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Maybe he's just joining in with Nicole and Sharon and making up words :cool:;)
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Um, I think they do, it's called accents :)

I don't think so. For example, an English and Irish person can both say Sandwich with different accents and not mispronounce the word.
  • BlodeuweddBlodeuwedd Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    The FBI wrote: »
    My wife says pernament. She just can't say itrright and she's far from dumb

I also say pernament! I also can't pronounce anonymously and regularly (amongst other words) although I can spell them (I think:eek:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You too my fellow Samwidge eater!
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least he's not as bad as Sharon. She can't say anything right. Last night she was calling Rough Copy a Gisele (supermodel) rather than a gazelle
  • CranberryappleCranberryapple Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right who do you know in your life that says proformance then? Of course words gets changed over the years, but not to that degree.

It's not a case of who I know that mispronounce words. The point is, there's more than Gary Barlow who mispronounce their words, it's not a sign of being dumb nor thick.

As I have pointed out, lots of people do it with lots of words.

You said you thought it ok for the word drawing to be mispronounced, ( as drawring ) does this mean that's how you say it? If so, then you can hardly have a go at Gary for doing the same thing, surely!!:o
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think so. For example, an English and Irish person can both say Sandwich with different accents and not mispronounce the word.

yes but some words are pronounced differently because of accent.

I am Northern Irish and the way many of us pronounce "towel" (and many of the ow words), can give many English a problem. On the other hand I just checked out how I pronounce "sandwich" and even at my quickest and laziest the d is still there. Whether anyone would make it out is another matter as I put little emphasis on it.