Options

Forum design feedback

Comments

• Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread is evolving so fast I can't keep up with it. Going for the prize for the longest thread ever perhaps? (Until it gets locked!!)
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have changed the smileys !!!!

I have gone from being mildly offended by the new layout to loathing it... HATE THE NEW SMILEYS!!!!!
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's an inconvenience not having the link to the forum you're posting on but instead, have to click the forums link and then have to go all the way back to the forum you were posting on.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have changed the smileys !!!!

I have gone from being mildly offended by the new layout to loathing it... HATE THE NEW SMILEYS!!!!!

What new smilies? You mean the identical orange dots?
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    It's weird, I feel as if I'm trapped on this thread, all the others are still going on and I usually flit around many of them like a butterfly, but it all seems so much effort now, that things are passing me by and I just stay here.

Anyone else feel the same?

Im exactly the same. I usually hang around soaps when they are on but i wont bother tonight. I also like to read thread after thread on gd and advice but im lacking the motivation to go and search for them.

Think ill wait until either a they fix this or b another forum can prove to be as lively as this one.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people who do this sort of re-design I can guarantee are not regular users of any forum.

Because, even if the colours were tweaked, the usability is poor.

It's the acres of empty space that does it. Friendly looking, NICE looking. But poor when you actually wish to post/read on a forum.
    It is difficult to balance the needs of users with the needs of the company to make some money when the bosses of the company are obviously not using their own product regularly. They will have no insight as to what to do and just "guess" and get it wrong...
  • Options
    fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    Pootmatoot wrote: »

I'd bet you a green smiley that those messages will be front and centre of the Tuesday Morning Review meeting.

I miss the green smiley :(
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I wonder what poor sap at DS is going to be lumbered with trawling through all our miserable posts? Or will they even bother to give us even a glance?
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amusingly they're happily promoting the new look on the news homepage - all going very well apparently [Shriek]

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/about/product/a534060/digital-spy-welcome-to-the-new-look-website.html
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    What new smilies? You mean the identical orange dots?

Ya ha! I mean why is there a smiley for LOVE - this is freaking DS!

And I absolutely hate the way the text looks when I type a reply....
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    On mine, the Quick Reply box is below the pink "Posting Tips" section with a "Post Quick Reply" button below that.
    Interesting. Yes, I can see that if I use Internet Explorer, but on Firefox there's no sign of a Quick Reply box or indeed a pink Posting Tips section either. I thought perhaps my adblocker might be interfering, but turning it off made no difference.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Trying it again in this morning in Natural light. Makes no difference, I am struggling to read posts in normal text. The words are not defined enough, they blur into the background. When using Bold it's fine. My eyesight is fine and I don't need glasses but If this stays like this I will end up needing them as I can feel that it is straining my eyes reading posts. :(

It's actually ok if you post from under the stairs with the door closed.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    make it bold
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    It is making me squint and has given me another headache, can we sue ? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    This thread is evolving so fast I can't keep up with it. Going for the prize for the longest thread ever perhaps? (Until it gets locked!!)

They can't lock it until they've found a mod with a pair of sunglasses, and located the only device/browser combination that the site actually works on
  • Options
    000Mark000000Mark000 Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    crinoline wrote: »
    My issues:

The banner on the top, it's ridiculously huge, like, ridiculous. If you have a higher resolution screen it isn't too bad, but on my laptop which is 1366 x 768 it is literally 20% of the screen. I'm lost as to why it isn't half the size or even less.

I don't have the breadcrumb at the top, I'm using Chrome, I am opening everything in a new tab so I can go back to the tab with the forum front page, otherwise I'm lost.

In general, there is just so much space everywhere that appears to be unused.

I have mild visual impairment and the blue on the grey is doing some kind of weird dance - I can't keep it straight/focused.

Having said all that, I know these things take time to get right, so let's hope the devs listen and take on some of what we say...

The breadcrumbs are there at the top of the screen in Chrome. You'll find them just behind the menu bar.

Ah!

The menu bar!

You'll need to get rid of that to see the breadcrumbs.
  • Options
    fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    Amusingly they're happily promoting the new look on the news homepage - all going very well apparently [Shriek]

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/about/product/a534060/digital-spy-welcome-to-the-new-look-website.html
    The site now reaches in excess of 22 million unique browsers every month and this redesign (built entirely by an in-house team) is the first step towards delivering all your favourite content in the best way possible.

:o:o:o:o
  • Options
    mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member

Notice how you can't comment on it *green grin*
  • Options
    L_SilverwolfL_Silverwolf Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    000Mark000 wrote: »
    No! There was somebody who liked it last night, on about page 40-something. But since then, likers have been few and far between!

I expect it looks good if you happen to have the same display settings and browser as the person who designed it. ;)
  • Options
    Paula PanzerPaula Panzer Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I realise the old layout looked a bit out-dated, but this is awful. On my PC, not a phone or tablet, I can't scroll to the RHS of the screen so I can't read all the threads.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    What genius in the Digital Spy web design department decided to redesign a site so that you
    can't read it on the most popular form of computing these days? Totally unreadable, and unable
    to scroll to one side on any tablet device! Genius! Did no one think to maybe test this awful design
    before releasing it? I could perhaps just about live with the ever so uplifting grey on grey colour
    scheme, but not being able to read the majority of posts? Wise move guys! And the main site is a
    cluttered mess now as well.
  • Options
    GillfawleyGillfawley Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Exactly! [Smiley Face]

Snap!!
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Whats the code for making it bold on mobile version?
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I wonder what poor sap at DS is going to be lumbered with trawling through all our miserable posts? Or will they even bother to give us even a glance?

I'm more than willing to write them a short report giving majority feedback from the forum users

And when I say short, I mean two words, bloody awful
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mojo5000 wrote: »
    Notice how you can't comment on it *green grin*

Aye I spotted that too [Laughing green face]
This discussion has been closed.