I felt sorry for Liz

Comments

• pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    I felt quite s for her. It's not nice to see someone standing alone and being shouted at by a group of people. Liz is quite a fascinating person (so far). She's very socially awkward. I'd rather watch Liz than some of these others whose every thought leaps straight out of their mouths.
  • Sarah SoreenSarah Soreen Posts: 5,568
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    But surely as a columnist that's her job - have a "controversial" opinion to sell newspapers

Does this include her very old very ill Mum who Liz visited for a day with the paper? She included a photo of her dementia and bed ridden Mother who couldnt give consent for it to be published. Her brother insisted it was removed from the site.

I dont mind controversy, really I dont, but many of her articles are downright nasty and even her own family arent exempt. Years ago, I used to enjoy her writing, I really did, but these days she is sour, vicious and nasty.
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh. I wouldn't waste your pity on her. Vile woman.
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    pie-eyed wrote: »
    I felt quite s for her. It's not nice to see someone standing alone and being shouted at by a group of people. Liz is quite a fascinating person (so far). She's very socially awkward. I'd rather watch Liz than some of these others whose every thought leaps straight out of their mouths.

Read Freckles' comment. Read her back catalogue. She deserves it. I hope all the shop assistants/flight crew/call centre staff that she has barked at, wailed at and spoken of with such contempt are watching and laughing their socks off.
    Forum Member
    iMatt_101 wrote: »
    Ah, thanks :o

You're welcome :)

Plenty to have a look at even just with that small selection
  • Paula PanzerPaula Panzer Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    pie-eyed wrote: »

It is quite possible to be socially awkward and not a nice person. If you haven't read the collected witterings of Liz Jones, you won't know how she treats other people. How her every thought is about Me me me. How she complains about her friends and family and makes digs at woman who chose to have children. There is a long, long list of her victims.
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enidan wrote: »
    Yup and then there's her lifetime of disappointment.
    She's a bag of self pity and society's to blame.

I think she is old enough to take some sort of responsibility for her personal happiness.

Totally agree. I can sometimes feel a bit sorry for myself but after seeing that cringe speech I will make a conserted effort to change my ways!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's have a bit of Liz Jones, for those not familiar with her oeuvre.
    On being glad when her mother developed dementia: When I finally met my future husband – when he was 26 and I was, as far as he knew, 37 – visits to see my mum were always fraught with anxiety lest she reveal my date of birth. I became quite relieved when she developed senile dementia
    On body image, before laying into Rhihanna for being a bad role model: I love my concave stomach and I can't help, despite my beliefs, but regard women who are fat, who don't exercise, who gorge on things like Galaxy, as somehow lazy. They just don't try hard enough.
    That's the thing about being a borderline anorexic: it makes you feel superior, clean, morally unimpeachable...When my sister goes back to Australia, I know I will clear out the fridge. It makes no sense, but I'd rather be thin than happy or healthy…I see not eating as a sign of superiority over other people.
    On women not liking sex; ALL women, naturally: The truth is: we don't really enjoy sex that much. And we definitely don't want sex as often as men do. That is a cold, hard fact. And women most definitely, incontrovertibly, do not want sex once they have children - or so my friends who have children confess to me. Particularly once their stomachs develop a texture akin to cold porridge. The only reason we do have sex is to get a man, keep a man, steal his sperm and flatter ourselves that we are attractive
    On Christina Hendricks, who has just said she is not confident about her body: We are used to seeing big breasts, of course; just look at the photos of Katie Price frolicking in the pool in Marbella over the past couple of days. But not real big breasts. Not the sort that have purple veins in them, that droop when unsupported and that don’t sit bolt upright when their owner lies down
    On retracing the last steps of murder victim Jo Yates, and not having enough money to cross the Clifton Suspension Bridge in the process: Isn't it interesting that you can snatch a young woman's life away from her in the most violent, painful, frightening way possible, take away her future children, her future Christmases, take away everything she loves, and yet there are elaborate systems in place to ensure you do not cross a bridge for only 30 pence?"
    On inexplicably being sent to Somalia to stare at refugees facing disease and malnutrition: I look down, and a little boy aged three, called Hassan, is looking up at me with a great big snotty grimace. He’s not about to steal my phone: he’s just trying to put his tiny fist in mine. In any case, I realise, my fears are ridiculous. Who would he call? What would he look up on the internet?”
    Congratlating herself on the £13,000 facelift she has just had: The other day, I was on a photo shoot with a famous model, and noticed she had thread veins on her legs, and a big mole on her neck. ‘How can she live with such flaws?’ I think.
    On Holly Willoughby, who has 'betrayed women' by allowing herself to be photographed without makeup as part of a charity stunt: These women are the ultimate playground bullies: they know men hate make-up
    On Rihanna: the sort of fashion sense on stage that surely invites rape
    On older mothers: they want to use a baby as a pawn: to keep a man, to prevent themselves from being sacked, and to give them something to talk about
    Forum Member
    *Stands and applauds Wonkey*

:D I thank you! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    But surely as a columnist that's her job - have a "controversial" opinion to sell newspapers

Precisely. You can't pick and choose a free press. She has opinions, gives them, and people challenge them, have the right to disagree, agree, buy or not read. That's the beauty of a free press!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lightblues wrote: »
    And false allegations;-)

Were they actually false, or was it 'not enough evidence to proceed'?
    Forum Member
    Thank you Wonkey. Anyone who professes to feel sorry for Liz Jones should be automatically directed to your post.
  • iMatt_101iMatt_101 Posts: 7,081
    Forum Member
    The way I see it, Liz is just very analytical. She tends to analyze everything she sees, and as she said she's an 'observer'. So because of that, she's quite open and personal in the stuff she writes and has strong beliefs. And that alienates her from other people, hence her odd fondness of animals.

In a way, I do sympathize with her because it seems as if she's 'rejected' from society in some respects, and I think she's very aware of that and knows where she stands. She has strong personal beliefs which are different to most peoples, and the way she expresses them is very blunt and personal so it comes across odd and quite rude.

But she does have some utterly odd views at the same time, and I think that's down to her own insecurities.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    schemedug wrote: »
    Agreed. As if Jim Davidson has the right to judge anyone.

But the press felt it was alright to judge him over recent allegations ...
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's have a bit of Liz Jones, for those not familiar with her oeuvre.

I know nothing about her; but a great deal of this is fairly depressing - I most object to the comments about her mother and about all mothers. Many of the others; I don't get where the major issue is. I agree with her about Rihanna - awful creature and a terrible, woeful role model.

The comments about her concave stomach are more about her own body issues - would make me feel more pity than anything else; describing yourself as borderline anorexic and superior because of it? Not something I'd get my knickers in a twist about; more pitiful than anything. Equally, the comment about Christina Hendricks - she's right that we don't see that many naturally large-bosomed women in popular culture.

On women not enjoying sex; again, she's speaking about herself, I think. More to be pitied than anything.

Jo Yeates; hmmmm. The bit you quoted is just a strange juxtaposition of circumstances - nothing particularly inflammatory in it, I would have thought. There's an interesting point in there - if woefully badly put. Ditto the child, the phone and Somalia.

On the face-lift and Willoughby; again transparent admissions of personal insecurity to a dangerous degree.

Nothing very mind-bendingly positive or shockingly awful from the bits you quoted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing very mind-bendingly positive or shockingly awful from the bits you quoted.

Oh I don't think she's evil like Littlejohn or Melanie 'bonkers' Phillips - and she is noticeably less cruel than people like Jan Moir - but she is just incredibly self-absorbed and irritating. And she lives an aggravatingly charmed life imo, constantly writing almost identical columns week in week out for staggeringly high pay.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Part of the criticism she faces from the other housemates is she is likely to leave and write about her time in their with them, when without a doubt every person in their is going to come out and give their opinions about their time in their, so she isn't going to be doing anything different to the rest.
  • Odette ValmontOdette Valmont Posts: 1,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely agree. I just wanted to get in that house and defend Liz, and I don't even agree with half of what she says. So she writes about controversial topics? It's better to discuss than to avoid topics that concern problems with people/society.

I don't think Liz writes to hurt people at all. I'm not clued up on the Rihanna situation, but all she did was criticize her for smoking cannabis? Completely understandable, as Rihanna is a role model for young people across the world. I noticed Dappy roll his eyes and turn his back on her, which in my view was totally rude and disgusting. Well, didn't Dappy get thrown out of Alton Towers for smoking cannabis? Ha! :D
  • Paula PanzerPaula Panzer Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I completely agree. I just wanted to get in that house and defend Liz, and I don't even agree with half of what she says. So she writes about controversial topics? It's better to discuss than to avoid topics that concern problems with people/society.

I don't think Liz writes to hurt people at all. I'm not clued up on the Rihanna situation, but all she did was criticize her for smoking cannabis? Completely understandable, as Rihanna is a role model for young people across the world. I noticed Dappy roll his eyes and turn his back on her, which in my view was totally rude and disgusting. Well, didn't Dappy get thrown out of Alton Towers for smoking cannabis? Ha! :D

Liz Jones knows perfectly well she hurts people and she carries on doing so because she believes she should tell everything in order to earn the vast sums she gets paid. There are a number of interviews in which she admits this. Please re-read Wonky Donkey's post, which contains a lot of truths.
  • lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liz Jones knows perfectly well she hurts people and she carries on doing so because she believes she should tell everything in order to earn the vast sums she gets paid. There are a number of interviews in which she admits this. Please re-read Wonky Donkey's post, which contains a lot of truths.

She justifies it all because she does it for the animals.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,759
    Forum Member
    I feel quite sorry for her because I believe what she writes in the paper is what she does rather than who she is.

We all have opinions, we all state them on this forum and she says hers. Can she be insulting? Yes but then so can anybody expressing an opinion.

She just seems like a lonely lady to me. I find it slightly off they clap Dappy's dong but not her story about Rihanna and drugs
    Forum Member
    I feel quite sorry for her because I believe what she writes in the paper is what she does rather than who she is.

We all have opinions, we all state them on this forum and she says hers. Can she be insulting? Yes but then so can anybody expressing an opinion.

She just seems like a lonely lady to me. I find it slightly off they clap Dappy's dong but not her story about Rihanna and drugs

Lonely? She was involved with a Rock Star for three or four years - although oddly not one single photo exists of them together - and now she's deeply in lurve with a baker from Brixton. Plus she has about 10,000 rescue animals.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,759
    Forum Member
    Lonely? She was involved with a Rock Star for three or four years - although oddly not one single photo exists of them together - and now she's deeply in lurve with a baker from Brixton. Plus she has about 10,000 rescue animals.

As I said, to me she looks lonely, certainly in the house.
  • HickyHicky Posts: 50,488
    Forum Member
    Liz made her own bed and now has to lay in it, but the mattress is a bit rough.

She seems very unhappy to me, she gets attacked from all corners, but if you live by smearing dirt on people you are going to get splattered at the same time.
    Forum Member
    As I said, to me she looks lonely, certainly in the house.

That's because she can't connect with the younger HMs and I'm fairly sure some of the older HMs know that she is a nasty piece of work who won't hesitate to attack them the minute she is back behind the safety of her columns.