The Ratings Thread (Part 59)

Comments

• Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has the BBC bought airtime on ITV to publicise EE or is it just another bad rumour?

I hope not as it cannot be justified when budgets are being squeezed at the beeb.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is with Pointless is a lot of us fans don't watch the repeats, so it goes on a break frequently, I won't be watching today.

Yet addicts just love it and will watch it everyday, so I doubt they're the type that will suffer burn-out.

Nothing lasts forever though, but it, and The Chase are still pulling in incredible figures, beating many prime-time offerings, so I don't see an end for awhile.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,271
    Forum Member
    Has the BBC bought airtime on ITV to publicise EE or is it just another bad rumour?

I hope not as it cannot be justified when budgets are being squeezed at the beeb.
    i've not seen it and neither has Friends or Family . I didnt believe it was true anyway.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC One should be showing films on a Bank Holiday anyways.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member

If The Daily Mail haven't picked up on it, it can't possibly be true. They'd have an absolute field day with this one.
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    If The Daily Mail haven't picked up on it, it can't possibly be true. They'd have an absolute field day with this one.
    I wouldnt use that paper to wipe my Arse with.

Just started Thunder & Lightning here now:o
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It originated on this forum, so no doubt was made up.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    It originated on this forum, so no doubt was made up.

DMN do you have the rating for Perspectives last night? Thanks
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMN do you have the rating for Perspectives last night? Thanks

I'm afraid not
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes they should, but I suppose keeping the well rating daytime antiques/home shows are more important than putting out some good Disney films.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    I'm afraid not

Ok thanks anyway :)
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they should, but I suppose keeping the well rating daytime antiques/home shows are more important than putting out some good Disney films.

Boring rubbish and I never watch them.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boring rubbish and I never watch them.

Hear, hear, also tedious repeats of tedious property programmes, BBC One to me is becoming like it was in the late nineties, an uninspiring channel full of cheap programming.
  • AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

C5 is going for another mystery with Neighbours and promoting it,but again like Lucy Beale, it's a character no-one gives a hoot about to keep them interested. it was Karl or Paul maybe, but Kate, the acting version of Cheryl Cole?

What next? A Braxton murder mystery in H&A? Again since none of the Braxtons can act,it wouldn't interest since the public are bored with them (who cares about Brax or Heath, to acting what Cheryl is to singing?) If Louise Bowes and Lucy Addario ditched Morag or Irene or Roo,maybe it would interest.
    Forum Member
    AndyB2007 wrote: »
    C5 is going for another mystery with Neighbours and promoting it,but again like Lucy Beale, it's a character no-one gives a hoot about to keep them interested. it was Karl or Paul maybe, but Kate, the acting version of Cheryl Cole?
    Interesting how well it goes at 6.30 though. They must be trying out this scheduling for a reason. I can't see it doing well because Neighbours hasn't rated well at teatime for about two years now, but what I'll be looking at is how well it rates compared to 5.30.

As I revealed last week Home & Away's London episodes will air soon and as part of a scheduling shakeup the lunchtime showing will be scrapped at the same time. Will there be any changes with Neighbours too?
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting how well it goes at 6.30 though. They must be trying out this scheduling for a reason. I can't see it doing well because Neighbours hasn't rated well at teatime for about two years now, but what I'll be looking at is how well it rates compared to 5.30.

As I revealed last week Home & Away's London episodes will air soon and as part of a scheduling shakeup the lunchtime showing will be scrapped at the same time. Will there be any changes with Neighbours too?

Neighbours averages 1.5 million a day for Channel 5 and is their biggest hit after CBB. Obviously the days when it was as big as Corrie and a massive talking point went in the nineties, but for Channel 5 it's ideal. Also those that watch are probably very loyal to it.
    However, it's interesting that Home and Away, which is the weaker soap, is going at lunchtime. Maybe Channel 5 are hoping to get the teatime ratings up by 300,000. I do think maybe scrapping the lunchtime Neighbours would help the 5.30 one.
  • AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The London episodes, which involve the Braxtons. Why not Alf or Marilyn or Roo? Ray Meagher has been there for the whole run, and John Holmes feels the Braxtons, who've been there for 5 minutes are important.

Perhaps rather than cutting showings, maybe C5 need to look at the production? As much as Lucy and Louise have a say in the endless Braxtonthon, John Holmes and Julie McGauran as EP's do too. As C5 fund most of it, they need to demand changes - either dumping the likes of Dan Ewing and Steve Peacocke or dumping producers, even if it's a veteran like John Holmes, whose heart isn't in Home and Away at the moment.Part of EE's woes are down to production, and they just moved showings.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Theres no sign of Pointless' ratings dropping. In fact, it is still beating The Chase every single day [excluding +1]. And watch its average go up next month. Pointless airing 7 days a week is a good strategy by BBC1, it automatically hooks in a guaranteed 17%+ of the audience [normally over 20%] whatever slot it airs in. Perfect stuff.

As for Countryfile, BBC One need to consider doing a Countryfile spin-off for Wednesdays 8pm. Would hook in a substantial audience for that slot. I'd call it CountryFile Extra. Have Matt Baker hosting that too.

They should do an episode of Countryfile every night at 7:30 after The One Show, maybe call it Countryfile Daily. That would crush ITV.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They were - 102 Dalmatians
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    However, no one can fault the ratings and this has gone from a Sunday morning PSB to quite a big ratings hit.
    Speaking of dreary quizzes, when does The Chase take a break?

Much as it pains me to say this the decision to move it was taken by.....Jay Hunt.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    I wouldnt use that paper to wipe my Arse with.

Just started Thunder & Lightning here now:o

It's still very sunny and pleasantly warm here in Edinburgh, blue skies as far as the eye can see makes a change Easter weekend being so nice for a change.

Looking forward to Tommy Cooper tonight and I expect it to outrate the Jamaica Inn dirge, read the book and saw every adaptation up till now and only the book brought the story to life.

Thanks to all who answered my question in the previous post.:)
    Forum Member
    It's still very sunny and pleasantly warm here in Edinburgh, blue skies as far as the eye can see makes a change Easter weekend being so nice for a change.

Looking forward to Tommy Cooper tonight and I expect it to outrate the Jamaica Inn dirge, read the book and saw every adaptation up till now and only the book brought the story to life.

Thanks to all who answered my question in the previous post.:)
    We had a reasonable day it's been dry but then at half 5 it started to Thunder.
    The Thunder & Lightning was very consistent we had Rain and Hail too.
    Has stopped now (Can still hear the odd rumble in the distance) but it's heading for the midlands now so could make it's way up to you tonight.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Hear, hear, also tedious repeats of tedious property programmes, BBC One to me is becoming like it was in the late nineties, an uninspiring channel full of cheap programming.

Well you really seem to have a bee in your bonnet about BBC1 today. If all you can do is focus on the bad and give no credit for the good then your comments will be treated accordingly.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    They were - 102 Dalmatians

Was just about to post the same.
    Forum Member
    Neighbours averages 1.5 million a day for Channel 5 and is their biggest hit after CBB. Obviously the days when it was as big as Corrie and a massive talking point went in the nineties, but for Channel 5 it's ideal. Also those that watch are probably very loyal to it.
    However, it's interesting that Home and Away, which is the weaker soap, is going at lunchtime. Maybe Channel 5 are hoping to get the teatime ratings up by 300,000. I do think maybe scrapping the lunchtime Neighbours would help the 5.30 one.
    I don't envisage any scenario where lunchtime Neighbours is dropped I'm afraid. The shares even now are simply too good. Maybe the evening showing of Neighbours could move to 6.30 on 5* replacing the Home & Away first look?

It's an idea. IF it copes with Hollyoaks, which it may not.
This discussion has been closed.