The Ratings Thread (Part 59)

Comments

• GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I will be suprised if the Tommy Cooper thing does not come out top of the ratings but it has lost our attention. Seriously struggling to see what the intention is with the program. Its like a lot of unrelated scenes cobbled together.
    Jamaica Inn is worse apparently.

I'm bored by Jamacian Inn, and I didn't really want my memories of TC tarnished, the two dramas last night at this time were so much better.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Out of mild curiosity I sampled the reaction on the DS thread and most comments were negative. Now apparently tomorrow is the big episode. I can't keep up!

Unfortunately the Champions League will rain on EE's parade big time.
    Always was....Episode 4842

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=72317101#post72317101
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »

Actually expected a bit more from EE tonight - not sure it would grab anyone tuning in because of the promotion.
    Forum Member
    Actually expected a bit more from EE tonight - not sure it would grab anyone tuning in because of the promotion.
    The same trailer was shown before news at 10 saying 'This week' why don't they say continues tomorrow 7:30 the BBC always seem to fail at this.

I liked it. It was realistic and showed scenes that soaps don't normally go for. It wasn't sensational at all.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Yeah I was talking about the ratings. Ive given up on Jamaica Inn though: the sound quality is poor, it is too miserable and depressing. I bet its ratings dont hold up well the next couple of days.

Of course it's miserable and depressing! It's Jamaica Inn? Have you read the book? If so you would see how damn well made this is. This and the Crimson Fields are the only things I have watched on TV for ages!

On a different topic, thank goodness for ITV3 this Easter. The only channel that made it feel like a Bank Holiday weekend.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Of course it's miserable and depressing! It's Jamaica Inn? Have you read the book.
    Nah Ive not read it. Depressing stuff, this Jamaica Inn, with difficult to hear dialogue. Expect its ratings to fall tomorrow and Wednesday.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Good Morning Britain coverage starts tomorrow I think. Should be all over some papers. So I'm hearing.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Prediction for EE for tonight - I am going for 7.6m.
    Forum Member
    I am also going for 7.6m (34.2%)
    BBC3 382k due to late start (00:05)

Tuesdays episode I will guess 7.3m due to Chelsea Game on ITV with BBC3 500k at 10:30

Thursday will be the highest episode of the week with no comp against it.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    I'm bored by Jamacian Inn, and I didn't really want my memories of TC tarnished, the two dramas last night at this time were so much better.

Jamaica Inn is being recorded to watch when its finished so gave the Tommy Cooper thing a go, I liked it, it wasn't as damning as it could have been, and the interspersal of bits of the stand up added a bit of light/shade. And David Threlfall was excellent, expect some sort of awards recognition for that one and on the whole it was well done, hope its does fairly well :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I liked EastEnders tonight but like you say I think it needed a bit more as I'm not sure casual viewers would be hooked to watch more. But we will see when the ratings come out tomorrow.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    I am also going for 7.6m (34.2%)
    BBC3 382k due to late start (00:05)

Tuesdays episode I will guess 7.3m due to Chelsea Game on ITV with BBC3 500k at 10:30

Thursday will be the highest episode of the week with no comp against it.

The last thing you should do is guess, wait and see what happens.
  • AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BROXI BEAR wrote: »
    Same here. I haven't watched any soaps for years - and no amount of annoying trailers will make me want to.

And Lucy isn't really a popular character to ignite interest. Sharon maybe, but Lucy?

Same with Kate Ramsay - if it was Karl or Sheila being shot maybe it would ignite interest in the plot, but Kate? Even if C5 promoted it, Kate isn't really a great character for people to bother watching the storyline.

Likewise Bianca in Home and Away - even if C5 promoted a murder mystery with her, it would be like Lucy - she isn't popular, yet Seven force the actress down the fans throats at the expense of Irene,Leah, and Alf, who are lucky to get a storyline. So when Bianca, Casey, Brax and Heath have a Lucy style plot, it wouldn't work even with promo as the audience are sadly sick of them. If it was Celia or Morag on the other hand though.......
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=AndyB2007;72318824]And Lucy isn't really a popular character to ignite interest. Sharon maybe, but Lucy?

Same with Kate Ramsay - if it was Karl or Sheila being shot maybe it would ignite interest in the plot, but Kate? Even if C5 promoted it, Kate isn't really a great character for people to bother watching the storyline.

Likewise Bianca in Home and Away - even if C5 promoted a murder mystery with her, it would be like Lucy - she isn't popular, yet Seven force the actress down the fans throats at the expense of Irene,Leah, and Alf, who are lucky to get a storyline. So when Bianca, Casey, Brax and Heath have a Lucy style plot, it wouldn't work even with promo as the audience are sadly sick of them. If it was Celia or Morag on the other hand though.......[/QUOTE]

Yes you might be right but Ian is and his reaction and the Beale legacy are significant. It's not about the victim per se but the effect on the community as Ian has been a stalwart of the show (Love him or loathe him).
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I liked EastEnders tonight but like you say I think it needed a bit more as I'm not sure casual viewers would be hooked to watch more. But we will see when the ratings come out tomorrow.

I agree that a bit more was needed for casual viewers but for the story being told nothing more was needed imo, that's the question for any drama really, do the writers do what's most likely to grab the viewers or what they feel the story needs? This being the ratings thread people will most likely think the former. I just hope that the viewers that did tune in appreciated the rising sense of dread throughout the episode and will come back tomorrow.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Looks like Jamaica Inn is getting much more buzz online than Tommy Cooper drama. Should be another ratings win for BBC1 drama tomorrow. The Tommy Cooper biopic is BBC4 material.

Thanks I needed a laugh.:D

Jamaica Inn is dire, the leads are crap, script badly written and its miscast, it is nothing short of an embarrassment, Tommy Cooper was by far the outstanding drama.

Tommy - 5.6 million.

Jamaica Dire- 3 million

That's my prediction.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In summary: Monday on the Ratings Thread.
    Low ratings for Catchphrase/Rockers leading to:
    Lots of carping about EastEnders,
    Carping about Pointless
    Carping about Countryfile
    And a few soothing mentions of Musketeers.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks I needed a laugh.:D

Jamaica Inn is dire, the leads are crap, script badly written and its miscast, it is nothing short of an embarrassment, Tommy Cooper was by far the outstanding drama.

Tommy - 5.6 million.

Jamaica Dire- 3 million

That's my prediction.

I agree, it was really good and bodes well for Cilla which is airing later in the year. I wouldn't be surprised if ITV commissions another biopic if the ratings are good for Tommy Cooper.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In summary: Monday on the Ratings Thread.
    Low ratings for Catchphrase/Rockers leading to:
    Lots of carping about EastEnders,
    Carping about Pointless
    Carping about Countryfile
    And a few soothing mentions of Musketeers.

Point number two is something I no longer mention or discuss, my scathing remarks and opinions about ratings ect last year was tedious so I steer clear of that show.

Corrie will be top show tonight with a 7.9 million, its rival may get 7.6 but I'd say 7.1 is more realistic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was Threlfall really all that good as Tommy Cooper, or was it just a revelation to see him in a proper acting role again after a wasted decade of nothing more than mumbling and looking vacant in Shameless?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    I agree, it was really good and bodes well for Cilla which is airing later in the year. I wouldn't be surprised if ITV commissions another biopic if the ratings are good for Tommy Cooper.

If its a warts and all drama about Killa Black then it will rate well.

The death scene of Cooper was eerily accurate and disturbing, Threlfall was amazing and for once ITV deserves praise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was Threlfall really all that good as Tommy Cooper, or was it just a revelation to see him in a proper acting role again after a wasted decade of nothing more than mumbling and looking vacant in Shameless?

Good point, never watched shameless so I cannot comment on that role but it did seem as if he enjoyed the role and put everything into it.
  • BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    If its a warts and all drama about Killa Black then it will rate well.

The death scene of Cooper was eerily accurate and disturbing, Threlfall was amazing and for once ITV deserves praise.

lol that would be warts and all with that nickname :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I do think maybe scrapping the lunchtime Neighbours would help the 5.30 one.
    There were a number of occasions where the 1.45 or 5.35pm screenings of Neighbours were dropped from BBC One for sport in the Noughties, but there were no real boosts for the surviving screening. I think any permanent changes to the 1.45/5.30 pattern on Channel 5 would end in disaster.

There's no harm in the occasional extra screening in a new slot such as Easter Monday. I doubt anyone with a sense of realism at Channel 5 will be looking for any sustained ratings boosts for Neighbours. They're just looking for ways to slow the soap's long decline. The quality fell off a cliff a year or two before it moved to Channel 5, and despite the odd brief glimmers of improvement in quality since then, the soap has been too weak for too long to ever grow its ratings again.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Threlfall was excellent as Cooper but I do agree that playing Frank in Shameless wasn't exactly a hard role even though I thought he was very good in the first few series, it really went down hill when they extended the episode count to 16 and later 22 episodes.
This discussion has been closed.