Options

Brits want out of EU and say he is the wrong man for the job.

alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2673635/Britons-demand-Euro-exit-Shock-MoS-poll-says-voters-agree-Cameron-right-block-President-worry-claims-new-man-cognac-breakfast.html

News to me. I can't really say I even know him, though I know he was the only candidate for the job.

It is kind of strange how I have to read a newspaper to find out what I think/should think.
It even seems I want out of the EU so that I can become my own little island again.
:rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2673635/Britons-demand-Euro-exit-Shock-MoS-poll-says-voters-agree-Cameron-right-block-President-worry-claims-new-man-cognac-breakfast.html

News to me. I can't really say I even know him, though I know he was the only candidate for the job.

It is kind of strange how I have to read a newspaper to find out what I think/should think.
    It even seems I want out of the EU so that I can become my own little island again.

Don't be silly...it's obvious the people of the UK have been following with close interest the actions of Mr Juncker as the PM of Luxembourg for the last eighteen years.

Those actions have been reported assiduously by the Daily Mail....almost as assiduously as they comment on the growing up of young girls and provide the photographic evidence to prove it ;-)
  • Options
    Mr PerksMr Perks Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the Euroelection less than 20% of the total electorate voted Tory or UKIP. In a recent opinion poll there was an 8% majority in favour of staying in the EU. So the Europhobes have to keep stating the opposite in the hope they can change enough minds to vote for leaving when and if they get their referendum.,
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely no one (that's a big fat 0%) in the UK, during the European elections, voted for a party belonging to the bloc which nominated Juncker as Commission President.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Perks wrote: »
    In the Euroelection less than 20% of the total electorate voted Tory or UKIP. In a recent opinion poll there was an 8% majority in favour of staying in the EU. So the Europhobes have to keep stating the opposite in the hope they can change enough minds to vote for leaving when and if they get their referendum.,

Totally agree, but then it's only what we would expect from that 'comic' I particularly like the use of words like "Brits" the implication being all of us, and "demand" so the 47% in one poll are demanding we leave, because those that want to leave have very strong convictions and opinions and are demanding that we leave,
    While the 39% of us who want to stay in are just a bunch of half hearted wishy washy weaklings who don't hold such strong opinions, because we are only "in favour" of staying in,
    "if that's OK with the rest of you, I mean, we don't want to cause a fuss or anything, our opinions are weak and slightly pathetic compared to you strong minded lot who DEMAND that we leave"

As for Cameron words (almost) fail me,
    Apparently behaving like a petulant schoolboy who because he can't get his own way, throws a tantrum and threatens to take his ball home,
    and even though every other member state except one thinks he is wrong they are trying to remain polite and patient with him, even though they obviously think he's an arrogant spoilt brat who seems to think that the British are 'superior' to every other European state, so they had damn well better change the rules to suit us or else.

Is....... "strong leadership" and alienating us from every other European country is "good for Britain and our reputation"

it's bloody embarrassing that's what it is, he's acting like the obnoxious friend you have taken to a party who has got drunk and wants to fight everyone.

Strong leadership Dave? you want to seem like a strong leader and a man of principle and integrity? Then stop d1cking around, grow a pair and admit that the rest of the EU have extended their proverbial middle fingers and invited you to swivel, and that your chances of gaining ANYTHING meaningful from any re-negotiation are as good as dead,

So either bring forward the in/out referendum to before the election, or do the honorable thing (fat chance) and resign.
  • Options
    KiteviewKiteview Posts: 9,246
    Forum Member
    solenoid wrote: »
    Absolutely no one (that's a big fat 0%) in the UK, during the European elections, voted for a party belonging to the bloc which nominated Juncker as Commission President.

So what?

To the best of my knowledge, the Labour party does not stand for election in Northern Ireland, hence no one votes for the Labour Party in NI. Are you saying we can't have (or haven't had) a Labour party PM then?
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Kiteview wrote: »
    So what?

To the best of my knowledge, the Labour party does not stand for election in Northern Ireland, hence no one votes for the Labour Party in NI. Are you saying we can't have (or haven't had) a Labour party PM then?

They can vote SDLP though who are a sister party of Labour and sit with them in the Commons.

The only UK wide party with elected representatives in Northern Ireland is actually UKIP.

Of course Labour won a landslide in 2005 on 35 per cent of the vote or a quarter of the electorate. So we can all find problems with the unfairness of our elections.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Breetish ave a problemo realizing that no one gives a sh*t what they think!

The groaning whining Breetish are increasingly being seen as a PITA by the rest of the world!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    The Breetish ave a problemo realizing that no one gives a sh*t what they think!

The groaning whining Breetish are increasingly being seen as a PITA by the rest of the world!

Really - you need do get out more. The entire world elite cannot wait to buy homes in London. Britain as a brand is incredibly powerful - have you for example been recently to places like Singapore and Malaysia where British branding and businesses are everywhere.

They are the future for us - not Greece and Slovakia. Time we left the bankrupt EU and joined the world - cos that's where the future and the money is.
  • Options
    warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Perks wrote: »

I am in favour of leaving the EU because it is a corrupt monstrosity which is stifling democracy and costing us a fortune, regardless of whether it is popular or not. In any case, the general rule seems to be that support for the EU is unpopular throughout Europe. In Greece, PASOK was in government when it signed an agreement with the EU for a bail-out and austerity. It is now down to 5-6% of the vote. I look forward to seeing the Lib Dims go the same way, followed by the Labour Party.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The majority of the EU want "Ever closer union" so from their point of view the candidate is appropriate.

The UK does not want that, the election results results pretty much prove that.

We are not the same as the ROE, the UK is not compatible, never have and never will be. Its pointless to continue the relationship because it will only ever cause strife.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has been in the news a lot over the last week so I would imagine a fair number of people have his appointment fresh in they minds.

The thing that has become obvious to me over the last week and many seem to agree according to the poll, is Germany really runs the EU, France gets special privileges and Britain is ignored unless they want more money from us. Everyone else does as their told.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Germany will be losing out if the UK leaves the EU so it's time for Merkel to start kissing our limey butts for a good renegotiation.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The majority of the EU want "Ever closer union" so from their point of view the candidate is appropriate.The UK does not want that, the election results results pretty much prove that.

We are not the same as the ROE, the UK is not compatible, never have and never will be. Its pointless to continue the relationship because it will only ever cause strife.

My opinion is that it's the politicians who want ever closer union, not the people......rather like Britain.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone remember who WAS Dave's candidate for the job - oh I remember HE DIDN'T HAVE ONE.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    I don't even think this country is that democratic anymore but at least here there is the chance that MP's will listen to their constituents sometimes but this isn't the case with the EU. I voted for this government to govern the country not someone else. I don't see why we can't have good friendly relations and trading opportunities with Europe while maintaining full independence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not knowing what's going on in the world you live in is nothing to brag about, in fact its rather sad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Really - you need do get out more. The entire world elite cannot wait to buy homes in London. Britain as a brand is incredibly powerful - have you for example been recently to places like Singapore and Malaysia where British branding and businesses are everywhere.

They are the future for us - not Greece and Slovakia. Time we left the bankrupt EU and joined the world - cos that's where the future and the money is.

Well if you thought the EU had any interest at all in adapting to Britain's wants, you've now had your answer. Plain and simple to understand, except perhaps for people like Jeremy Hunt.

Britain needs to stop winging and get on with making the most of the EU and all the opportunities it provides for trade.

Sick and tired of hearing from moronic whinging racists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Axtol wrote: »
    .. I voted for this government to govern the country not someone else. ..
    And I vote for my country to run my area, not the government.
    The EU being organised is what has stopped wars, at least here in the EU.

Dismantle the thing and we will get back to good old fashioned gun fights.
    I think Cameron was mainly playing to his gallery. Yet he sounded badly out of tune.

The Mail does what it usually does, casts its own opinion onto us.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Cameron was mainly playing to his gallery. Yet he sounded badly out of tune.
    Cameron doesn't offer "another way". Even his argument why Junkers shouldn't be EU President came across as little more as sulking
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »
    My opinion is that it's the politicians who want ever closer union, not the people......rather like Britain.

Not really. Many Europeans support the EU because they feel it's not as corrupt as their own government. Many have also felt the benefit since joining. Finally, unlike the UK, parts of Europe still reveal their history. Take the Italian Dolomites - very much part of Italy but you wouldn't think it if you went there. Your eyes and ears would tell you you're almost certainly in Germany.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    And I vote for my country to run my area, not the government.
    The EU being organised is what has stopped wars, at least here in the EU.

Dismantle the thing and we will get back to good old fashioned gun fights.

The Mail does what it usually does, casts its own opinion onto us.

I doubt that the EU can claim to have prevented any wars it's more likely in my mind that it's because of countries now having nuclear weapons and the risk of anything escalating is just too high. I'm always a bit wary of centralizing power because that's what leads to governments becoming less accountable to the people they represent. People have tried to unite Europe under a single authority before and they were corrupted by the power. I don't see how any group who had consolidated power over an entire continent wouldn't be corrupted by that power almost immediately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their free schools is an attack on local government. Its the same with most of the other stuff.
    The Tories love centralised power and the EU is a hindrance on them having London as the Tsar base.

I now hear that their election manifesto includes mandatory weekly bin collections.
    What a load of dictat rubbish!
    :blush:
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

He was the candidate of the mainstream Conservative group........so if the Tories had stayed in that group they'd have had a say in who the candidate was

Running away to sit with right wing nutters from Hungary and Finland and then complaining that they don't like the Conservative candidate comes over as bit whingy.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Peter_CJ;73423656

Sick and tired of hearing from moronic whinging racists.[/QUOTE]

Hark at you. So anyone who wants to leave the EU is a moronic whinging racist?

You seem to be the one that wants to hang around and only co operate with white Europeans - at the expense of us trading with the diverse rest of the world.
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which shows the supreme stupidity of the Tories for leaving the largest centre right bloc in the European parliament doesn't it. Its akin to the Tories telling Labour who they can elect as leader. :D