Options

Acer Aspire switch 10.

BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just ordered one of these off dabs for £299.

http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/series/aspireswitch10

I am going on holiday to Oz for a month but I needed to keep my customers happy, I looked at using an Android tablet as I didn't fancy lugging my laptop around but it's inability to run any useful software kind of made it a no-no.

So I was looking for a windows tablet, the surface pro seemed way too expensive and my search bought up the Acer.

Its a 10.1" notebook running WIn8.1 and has MS office thrown in free, the screen tears off so it becomes a free tablet.

The only trouble is the SDD on the standard model is 32GB which means you can;t actually install many software packages like Visual studio even with a 128GB SD card fitted because windows installer only runs via the C: drive. Although the software packages may be quite small once installed, windows installer insists on doing all the installation including download and inflating compressed install files in the program data directory. Visual Studio for instance requires 25GB for the install.

Anyway managed to locate a 64GB version, I'll let people know how it all works when I start playing with it.

Comments

• Options
    colin_ansoncolin_anson Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only trouble is the SDD on the standard model is 32GB which means you can;t actually install many software packages like Visual studio even with a 128GB SD card fitted because windows installer only runs via the C: drive.

if you feel the system drive needs more space try looking at changing the default install drive to another drive, D or the larger SD card. check out this reg configuration to install programs to another drive.

P.S: Back up your registry before doing this... Do so by opening regedit (mentionned below) and clicking File > Export > Save. That will save you in case of failiure :)

Open regedit (Start > Run > "regedit"). Then find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion". Now look in the right pane. Change "ProgramFilesDir", "ProgramFilesPath", "ProgramW6432Dir" and "ProgramFilesDir (x86)". If your secondary drive letter is D:\, then change them to "D:\Program Files", "D:\Program Files", "D:\Program Files" and "D:\Program Files (x86)", in that order that I just mentionned. You should be good to go from here.

the source is in the link here,
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2192361/change-default-install-location.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^Thanks for that tip.

I have just received the device and I'm typing this out on it now.

Just trying to find my way around WIndows 8 and not really succeeding, its not very intuitive.

There is 46GB free on the C drive out the box, The SD slot is microSDXC so it can cope with huge memory cards but going to get a 64GB off Amazon for £27.

The touchpad has pinch to zoom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The screen is the best LCD I have ever seen, the viewing angle is enormous, you can still see it from almost edge on, any plane.

The 64GB SSD actually shows up as 51GB, this is due to a recovery partition being created, I am going to try and offload this onto a USB stick.