iPhone 6 Live discussion 6pm Tuesday 9th September 2014

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I'm wondering if that with the pressure sensor means that the GPS might now has a chance of working in Airplane Mode for those that need it to. Great for long days walking the hills.

That being yet another IOS 'quirk'.

Your favourite topic!
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your favourite topic!

I've just ticked it off the list:)
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    I'm wondering if that with the pressure sensor means that the GPS might now has a chance of working in Airplane Mode for those that need it to. Great for long days walking the hills.

That being yet another IOS 'quirk'.

The old chestnut :)
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Pee wrote: »
    It never ceases to amaze me how much non-iPhone users pay to iPhone-related news at this time of year. I've been an iPhone user since 2009, and my last phone before that was a Nokia N95. within a few hours of owning the 3G, I just knew I wouldn't be moving away from Apple for the forseeable future, and I can honestly say I don't have a clue about what else is currently on the market, when others phones get released, or the first thing about Android, to be completely honest. Guess that'll make me a "sheep" or "fanboy" to Android users, but I'm just happy with my phone (I'm on the 5S now), so don't really concern myself with anything else. I'm not bothered about specs or having the absolute latest technology first either, and I work in IT, so I can't for the life of me understand why so many people supposedly happy with their own phones dedicate so much time to what the iPhone is or isn't doing and mocking its users for continuing to buy it. it's just bizarre. if you're THAT happy with your phone, why spend so much time concerned with what the other guy is doing?

I just find it really sad that so many people feel defined by what phone they use.

Here lies Dave/Doris, iPhone/Android/Windows Phone user. Is that what we have finally become? There really are some sad individuals.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bought the 128GB iPhone 6 from the Apple store. Will the money be taken out now or just before it's dispatched?

I don't have access to internet banking at the moment so I can't check.
    Forum Member
    KieranDS wrote: »
    Bought the 128GB iPhone 6 from the Apple store. Will the money be taken out now or just before it's dispatched?

I don't have access to internet banking at the moment so I can't check.

It's usually on dispatch (I think Apple have enough money in the bank to bridge your transaction:))
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    The old chestnut :)
    I'd say near essential for walking and cycling.

Well I cant really say why Apple wants to track you when you use their GPS.
    Like the less dropped phone calls, their GPS is a little bit more usable than days of old.

And like the dropped calls thing, its quite incredible how phones vary. I certainly would not choose an iPhone for GPS, even if it cost less.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    I can understand the excitement as those with the new iPhone 6 will at last be able to do all the things they couldn't do with their top of the range iPhone 5s.

Err! what exactly will that be? :confused:
    Forum Member

Disagree. My 5S lasts all day running O/S maps when out walking (and that's even without resorting to the portable charger I always carry with me when walking). But that's mainly due to the more intelligent multi tasking of IOS. If I do the same thing with my Android phone it's flat by lunchtime.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Utter rubbish.

I carry a spare battery with mine for weekends though finding I get 24 hours on Android Endomondo tracking whilst making fair use of Orux OS maps I don't take the battery with me on long days out now.

But obviously, the new waterproof nature of real top end phones means an iPhone or even my Android with its top end GPS is not 'optimum'.
  • Larry_KirstenLarry_Kirsten Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    The trouble is when complaining about an the battery life of an Android phone is there are so many different phones, it's hard to compare realistically.

My Note 3 lasts me well over 24 hr, and that's with a BT connection to an earpiece and a PP card reader for at least 6 hours of the day, plus the GPS/screen being used for at least a total of an hour or two for Sat Nav.
    I reckon some phones wouldn't even make it 12 hours under those conditions.

So please stop comparing battery life unless you specify which phones and under what conditions otherwise it's pretty meaningless tbh.
    Forum Member
    Utter rubbish.

I carry a spare battery with mine for weekends though finding I get 24 hours on Android Endomondo tracking whilst making fair use of Orux OS maps I don't take the battery with me on long days out now.

But obviously, the new waterproof nature of real top end phones means an iPhone or even my Android with its top end GPS is not 'optimum'.

Not utter rubbish. I have no desire to resort to tweaks and 3rd party software to achieve what my iPhone achieves out of the box. I only use the phone to intermittently check my position and that is the only time the battery is being used. By default on Android it's using the battery all the time the app is running.
    Forum Member
    The trouble is when complaining about an the battery life of an Android phone is there are so many different phones, it's hard to compare realistically.

My Note 3 lasts me well over 24 hr, and that's with a BT connection to an earpiece and a PP card reader for at least 6 hours of the day, plus the GPS/screen being used for at least a total of an hour or two for Sat Nav.
    I reckon some phones wouldn't even make it 12 hours under those conditions.

So please stop comparing battery life unless you specify which phones and under what conditions otherwise it's pretty meaningless tbh.

We got off track there. Really I was just responding to Mr Warwick who claims it is absolutely essential to be able to use GPS in airplane mode to get decent battery life. Simple making the point that regardless of the reasons for it one doesn't need to with IOS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble is when complaining about an the battery life of an Android phone is there are so many different phones, it's hard to compare realistically...
    And the trouble with comparing iPhones is that everything has to be positive.
    I would not recommend the Moto G, having that costly sealed battery problem.
    You can still get the real thing at 4.7", the early 2012 Galaxy S3 can be had for £150 or less new. A brilliant buy considering you can simply use a Zerolemon battery for those weekends away.

Regarding U2, I'm not sure who is getting panned, U2 or Apple ?
    Personally I blame U2, the band with 'pretend values'. After all a freebie is a freebie so it is a bit much to criticise Apple on that one.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    It's the way they word things that annoys me with Apple

xpercent better than the 5s etc .

Convincing the dumber members of the general public that the 5s is now somehow inferior

Sharon Slacknickers now thinks she needs this in her life at £45 month for 2 years .

So when any other company brings out a new model they don't market it as being better than the older models?

It's just Apple that do that?

Is that seriously what you are trying to say?

I'd magine that only a small minority get a new phone every year anyway, but we can pretend that people who buy iPhones are idiots who have somehow been conned by a devious company who - gasp! - said their new phone was better than their old phone. Scoundrels!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the trouble with comparing iPhones is that everything has to be positive.
    I would not recommend the Moto G, having that costly sealed battery problem.
    You can still get the real thing at 4.7", the early 2012 Galaxy S3 can be had for £150 or less new. A brilliant buy considering you can simply use a Zerolemon battery for those weekends away.

Regarding U2, I'm not sure who is getting panned, U2 or Apple ?
    Personally I blame U2, the band with 'pretend values'. After all a freebie is a freebie so it is a bit much to criticise Apple on that one.

Can I just ask, what do you mean by 'pretend values'?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    I can understand the excitement as those with the new iPhone 6 will at last be able to do all the things they couldn't do with their top of the range iPhone 5s.

Err! what exactly will that be? :confused:

Sarcasm aside, what's your point?

Is it that no company should be releasing new phones so soon after they released their last phones?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well I cant really say why Apple wants to track you when you use their GPS.
    Like the less dropped phone calls, their GPS is a little bit more usable than days of old.

And like the dropped calls thing, its quite incredible how phones vary. I certainly would not choose an iPhone for GPS, even if it cost less.

BiB: Another of your baseless allegations? Why do you think Apple are tracking customers who use GPS?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Can I just ask, what do you mean by 'pretend values'?
    One quote from Bono was "Music has become tap water, a utility, where for me it's a sacred thing, so I'm a little offended.""

At the time he was still making his millions from selling albums, so had no need to go where it is like giving away a free CD inside the Sunday Mail. He had no 'Pride', just commercial sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think AW does wonders for the merits of android. Want to go out walking for the day, switch off the phone capabilities :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BiB: Another of your baseless allegations? Why do you think Apple are tracking customers who use GPS?

Have you not been keeping up with the AW conspiracy theories?

How someone who uses android can comment on Apple's use of an individual's information beggars belief.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One quote from Bono was "Music has become tap water, a utility, where for me it's a sacred thing, so I'm a little offended.""

At the time he was still making his millions from selling albums, so had no need to go where it is like giving away a free CD inside the Sunday Mail. He had no 'Pride', just commercial sense.

Are you talking about music, or the means of delivering the music?
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

iOS7 *does* track where you go, if you stop at any specific place frequently, etc. etc. Of course you can switch it off, but by default it is enabled.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They originally did it to ensure GPS actually worked. The GPS got supplemented by Wifi Hotspots too. And now they have their BT marketing features there is extra incentive to keep on tracking you.

I certainly would not call using basic Android settings a trick.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    iOS7 *does* track where you go, if you stop at any specific place frequently, etc. etc. Of course you can switch it off, but by default it is enabled.

That's not quite the same thing as Apple tracking you in the way that Alan suggests. The Frequent Locations thing in iOS 7 remains on the phone and isn't uploaded anywhere.

By the way, I'm not even saying I'd object to it being uploaded (with explicit permission). They could probably make it more useful that way,
    They originally did it to ensure GPS actually worked. The GPS got supplemented by Wifi Hotspots too. And now they have their BT marketing features there is extra incentive to keep on tracking you.

I certainly would not call using basic Android settings a trick.

Again, is this just a conspiracy theory? Wifi hotspot data is used to enable quicker location fixing, and is used in exactly the same way on Android.

What are these BT marketing features that provide an incentive to keep an eye on you? Are you talking about iBeacon?