which TV recorder?

victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, how am looking for a HD recorder. My budget is around £130. Any recommendations?

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    Hi, how am looking for a HD recorder. My budget is around £130. Any recommendations?

Freeview or FreeSat?
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Freeview
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    Yes Freeview

The Humax box is the most advanced you will get for a number of reasons.

Ignoring the major advantages that you get if you add the custom firmware add on

1 Afaik It's the only currently available box that allows you to copy recordings to a usb device or directly to a PC, so you can use them on other devices. You can even do the same with HD ones using Foxy.

2 It has a media player capability (including over your network) so you can watch content stored on your PC foe example.

The downside is VOD basically is restricted to iplayer (In HD as well) and Youtube. The Upside is using the CF you can record them.
  • PrestonianPrestonian Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    Is there a Humax Freeview+ HDR available that comes without internet connectivity - just want an OTA Freeview+ PVR but with Humax quality.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prestonian wrote: »
    Is there a Humax Freeview+ HDR available that comes without internet connectivity - just want an OTA Freeview+ PVR but with Humax quality.

The Humax Freeview HD PVRs all have a network connection. Though I'm wondering why that would be a problem. If you don't want to use it simply don't plug it into anything and don't bother setting it up. It has absolutely zero impact on the basic function of recording telly programmes off the aerial.
  • PrestonianPrestonian Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    Reading good things about this Freeview+ PVR . Loop through - does this box allow standby UHF pass through? In other words can I watch my Samsung TV while the Panasonic PVR is in standby. Don't really want to have to split the signal or have the PVR fully turned on all the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prestonian wrote: »
    Reading good things about this Freeview+ PVR . Loop through - does this box allow standby UHF pass through? In other words can I watch my Samsung TV while the Panasonic PVR is in standby. Don't really want to have to split the signal or have the PVR fully turned on all the time.

Don't know about the Panny but the HDR FOX T2 has rf loopthrough. There are two sby modes, Low Power On which minimises power consumption in sby and Low Power Off which displays the clock 24/7 and powers the rf loop amplifier. However for 99% of users you might as well save money and fit a passive splitter. Being digital TV it has no effect at all on picture quality.
  • Biker JeffBiker Jeff Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digital Stream 500gb..... Has twin tuner and Freeview HD. Apart from that its pretty basic, no series link or smart features. But they are rock solid reliable with no bugs..... can be had for well under £100 now.

I've had one for about 4 years and its been totally faultless.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,622
    Forum Member
    My Digitalstream has Series Link? And with the modded firmware you can still do old-fashioned fixed time recordings with daily / weekly / etc repeats perfect for Red Button stream live sports coverage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    My Digitalstream has Series Link? And with the modded firmware you can still do old-fashioned fixed time recordings with daily / weekly / etc repeats perfect for Red Button stream live sports coverage.

I'm certain mine does not have series link........ Did yours come with series link from new, or did you get this function after a firmware update ?
    Forum Member
    Yes it did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biker Jeff wrote: »
    I'm certain mine does not have series link........ Did yours come with series link from new, or did you get this function after a firmware update ?

According to bits of information I can find on t'interweb it does have series link. Though all the links to a manual that I can find appear to be broken I did find a thread on another forum that says Series Link is got at by pressing OK on a programme in the EPG and selecting "Reserve Series". If you press the Record button then it only sets a recording for the particular episode of the programme you've selected, not the series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    According to bits of information I can find on t'interweb it does have series link. Though all the links to a manual that I can find appear to be broken I did find a thread on another forum that says Series Link is got at by pressing OK on a programme in the EPG and selecting "Reserve Series". If you press the Record button then it only sets a recording for the particular episode of the programme you've selected, not the series.

I'll try that later....... when this model came out about 5+ yrs ago, it was discussed on avforums and I'm sure it was mentioned that it didn't have series link. Or maybe I've just assumed wrongly.
    I'll give it a go anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biker Jeff wrote: »
    I'll try that later....... when this model came out about 5+ yrs ago, it was discussed on avforums and I'm sure it was mentioned that it didn't have series link. Or maybe I've just assumed wrongly.
    I'll give it a go anyway.

What model is it you've got. I could only find a DHR8205U that matches your description of Freeview HD and 500GB storage. And this

https://www.avforums.com/threads/digitalstream-dhr-8205-faq-thread-dhr-8203u-and-dhr-8206u.1362337/

Section 17 mentions Series Link, or rather Series Recording Reservation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    What model is it you've got. I could only find a DHR8205U that matches your description of Freeview HD and 500GB storage. And this

https://www.avforums.com/threads/digitalstream-dhr-8205-faq-thread-dhr-8203u-and-dhr-8206u.1362337/

Section 17 mentions Series Link, or rather Series Recording Reservation.

Yes, mine is that model. Just dug out the manual and no mention anywhere of it having series link......
    But i'll be f*****, you're right........just went to the guide and hitting ok on a program gives you the option of 'reserve single' or 'reserve series'.
    Had this box over 4 years under the misapprehension that it didn't have series link..... what a prat.

Cheers.
    Forum Member
    To be fair it is not the only make and model of recorder that does not do the sensible thing and offer all recording options when you press the Record button but expects you to use the Ok button instead. You have to wonder what goes through the mind of the UI designer sometimes.