"All You Can Eat" restaurants - any good ?

13»

Comments

• ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love ilaichi at Hatfield, and the staff are lovely.
  • That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    Has anyone ever been to an all you can eat place where the quality of food is actually decent? I guess the closest I have been to for decent food is a couple of the hotel buffets in Las Vegas, although they do charge a lot more than what you would pay in your typical Chinese buffet place.
    I've been to a restaurant in Nottingham where the ayce is basically a payment option similar to a set banquet but with unlimited quantity. You could also just order the individual items as at a standard restaurant if you wanted to.

You ordered the food as normal and it was brought out as normal and was really good quality. The quantity of duck that people go through must be huge though!

Slightly more expensive than a traditional ayce (although not THAT much more) and well worth the extra few pounds. Superb of group nights out as you don't have that really horrible 'bill discussion' at the end.
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That Bloke wrote: »
    I've been to a restaurant in Nottingham where the ayce is basically a payment option similar to a set banquet but with unlimited quantity. You could also just order the individual items as at a standard restaurant if you wanted to.

You ordered the food as normal and it was brought out as normal and was really good quality. The quantity of duck that people go through must be huge though!

Slightly more expensive than a traditional ayce (although not THAT much more) and well worth the extra few pounds. Superb of group nights out as you don't have that really horrible 'bill discussion' at the end.

There is one near me like that, all the benefits of all you can eat without all the pitfalls.
  • alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love ilaichi at Hatfield, and the staff are lovely.

Ah now I'm interested to know more about this cos I go to Hatfield once a week ... is it the big kind of world restaurant at the end of the Galleria? If so I did stick my nose in once but went to a different restaurant instead. Would love to hear why you love it, then I might be tempted to give it another go!
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first time i ever experienced an all you can eat restaurant was when i went to Florida back in 1995 we went to a place callled "Bill Wongs".I had never been to anything like this before plus you could go up as many times & fill your soft drink up.

I haven't been to an all you can eat restaurant in a while.But if i do go it is usually to the China Buffet King.I think there is 3 of these in Glasgow City Centre.But i prefer to go to the one that is over at the Braehead Xscape.They seem to have that bit more of a choice.
  • marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Slowboat in Chester used to do a fab all you can eat, but they only cooked what you ordered, and in small portions.

They gave you a menu and for starters you could order what you wanted, but there was only one per person so if there was four of you then you got 4 ribs, 4 prawn toasts etc.

For the mains, they would only let you re-order if all the other food had been eaten so no-one could waste a load of food by just being greedy.
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mariets wrote: »
    For the mains, they would only let you re-order if all the other food had been eaten so no-one could waste a load of food by just being greedy.

I've been to all you can eat made to order places that allow you to order whatever you like, but charge you extra for leftover food. So that's the incentive for people to not order more than they can finish.